Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:51 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,536,956 times

Advertisements

I'm going to start bringing a newspaper on BART not to read, but to place over the seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 12:38 PM

70 posts, read 157,032 times
I never understood why BART has cloth seats and carpeting. Talk about a germ farm. What were they thinking? I understand the comfort factor, but commuter rails in other cities use cushioned vinyl seats - comfortable, yet easier to clean and less of a germ magnet.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,757,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal-c View Post
I never understood why BART has cloth seats and carpeting. Talk about a germ farm. What were they thinking? I understand the comfort factor, but commuter rails in other cities use cushioned vinyl seats - comfortable, yet easier to clean and less of a germ magnet.
They wanted to be "different" and "upscale." It was one of their key marketing messages at launch.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:34 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,045,519 times
At some point along the way the cars went from different and upscale to hobo living room. Overall I love BART but the gross-ass seats and carpeting really give people the wrong image of the city when they are visiting, and it wears down on the regular riders. Also their stations need better lighting and some pressure washing on the ceilings.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:45 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,875,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
At some point along the way the cars went from different and upscale to hobo living room. Overall I love BART but the gross-ass seats and carpeting really give people the wrong image of the city when they are visiting, and it wears down on the regular riders. Also their stations need better lighting and some pressure washing on the ceilings.
Isn't BART one of the (if not the) most profitable transit agencies in the Bay area? You'd think they'd be able to afford to upgrade these types of amenities rather easily (?).

I've also heard they might be getting new cars soon, but this was years ago I read about it, and it doesn't look like much has changed in that regard.

Maybe they just want to get the absolute most out of their current cars/seats before being forced to change...I wonder if this report might help speed things along.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:12 PM

18,970 posts, read 32,496,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Isn't BART one of the (if not the) most profitable transit agencies in the Bay area? .
There is no such thing as a "profitable" transit agency. They are all subsidized.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,757,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
There is no such thing as a "profitable" transit agency. They are all subsidized.
Highways aren't profitable either, not sure if it is relevant. But they do have one of the highest farebox recovery rates in the bay area. It is 55% meaning that, the fare covers 55% of the cost. (I think this is a 2010 #: BART board member urges agency to consider unlimited monthly pass : Bay Area Transit)

Only a few agencies in Asia and London are completely funded by fares.

Farebox recovery ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-07-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Right; perhaps "profitable" was the wrong word...the point I was trying to make was just that BART seems to do the best at recovering costs compared to other transit agencies. And because of that, I was thinking they might be able to easily afford upgrades somewhat soon.

The seats and carpeted seats really do look bad and can make the experience a bit less enjoyable to ride.

I don't want to turn this into a "roads vs public transit" discussion since that isn't what this thread is about, so let's please not get into that based on my usage of the word "profitable"...

Old 04-07-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Highways aren't profitable either, not sure if it is relevant. But they do have one of the highest farebox recovery rates in the bay area. It is 55% meaning that, the fare covers 55% of the cost. (I think this is a 2010 #: BART board member urges agency to consider unlimited monthly pass : Bay Area Transit)

This was what I was getting at.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:20 PM

18,970 posts, read 32,496,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

I never claimed they were. But that is a fairly impressive recovery ratio although it should be high given the cost of BART fares, which are on the pricey side imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland