Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 02:35 PM

6 posts, read 14,639 times

Advertisements

So I'm trying to move to Berkeley from the south bay, but as a first time renter I'm running into some problems. (I've read california renters rights and other legal stuff) Maybe someone has some inside info on:

Why do landlords need your SSN and what do they do with it, do they share or sell it to anyone, are they legally obligated to safeguard this info and if so do they do this in practice?

How to deal with property management companies that are often faceless and want you to pay fees just to apply. I spoke to various private owners who said those companies are ripping people off when they do this. Is there any way to get around the credit check and fees attached to that?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 02:43 PM

13 posts, read 18,697 times
The SSN is for the credit check. You can refuse to share it, and they will refuse to do business with you (unlike utility companies, they won't just charge you a larger deposit and move on). They are legally obligated to protect the data, but I've never seen them provide a written privacy policy to an applicant.

The application fee is generally to pay for the credit check (costs them $15 or $20, in bulk), plus their inconvenience of having to deal with human beings (i.e. it's a nuisance filter to prevent people from applying for things they aren't sure they want). Because they can.

Sorry, no good answers.

Last edited by que.sera; 04-13-2011 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: add CRs

Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
Go to one of the many credit score sites and get a copy of your credit report and print out a dozen copies, and bring them with you when you go to look at places, and hand out a copy when you want to apply for a place. Most renters in the Bay Area do this. I've actually seen very few landlords who ask for a check to do a credit check, they usually expect people to bring their own.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:04 PM

6 posts, read 14,639 times
Almost all of the places I've been trying to rent from are companies that have a set-in-stone process: fill out the application form and pay the money. They don't even want to consider you or look at your info unless you pay the fee first.
But bringing your own credit check is a good idea, will try that.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:04 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastry2010 View Post
Almost all of the places I've been trying to rent from are companies that have a set-in-stone process: fill out the application form and pay the money. They don't even want to consider you or look at your info unless you pay the fee first.
But bringing your own credit check is a good idea, will try that.
On the other hand, bringing my own credit report has never worked for me. They always want to run it themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland