Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 07:57 AM

25 posts, read 38,108 times

Advertisements

I am a former Chicagoan living in NoVA outside of DC. I can't stand it here. I am an outspoken Liberal and it is definitely not welcome but I can't change. I accept evolution, I am not religious, I have a social conscience - but I have had to put up with it because of my sons. The youngest is finishing HS next year and I am now a full time student in College. I have one goal upon his graduation - GETTING OUT.

So far my plan is to transfer to San Francisco State University. I am getting too old to put up with another conservative. I spent time in 2009 living in the French Quarter in New Orleans and was readily accepted in to the gay populaton there. There were just no jobs so I had to return to DC. I am not frightened of the high housing prices because they are jut the same over here accept these employers do not pay the salary to live here. I did some internet research and found Bay Area employers pay a more livable wage than here in Virginia. So the cost thing doesn't bother me.

Here's my question:

At my age (42) I don't want to be going against the tide any longer. I feel if I stay in DC I will be a cantakerous old woman dealing with moron conservatives. Sorry it's insulting to some but I get insulted everytime I try to socialize here and someone over hears my conversatio to a friend about how I favor Obama or when Bush was in office my dissatisfaction with the way the country was going - these bullying conservative would begin by yelling at me that I am un-american and have no respect for my country or a free market. (One of the Major problems in this area is the amount of eavesdropping, which is okay, but if you are going to have an intelligent debate about what you heard leave the ad-hominems out!)

Will I fit in in San Francisco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 09:59 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
I expect you would fit in, but you might find SF to be more yuppieish and less political than you thought it would be. There are plenty of 40+ exasperated liberals in SF and Berkeley though.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:54 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Around here, "favoring" Obama makes you a moderate. A true liberal would say Obama is the chosen one and the closest thing to a Messiah; then go out and slash the tires of any gas guzzlers he/she encounters. I'm only half kidding.

People, for the most part, is more concern with local issues than national politics. Forget Obama, Bush, Gay marriage, and universal healthcare. Those debates have already been settled (Obama - great. Bush - evil and stupid. Gay marriage - good. Universal healthcare - good and SF has it). The issues that SF is concerned with are rent control, gentrification, tax cut for corporations, homelessness, etc.

Since you actually understands the term "ad-hominem", I think you should fit in nicely.

A final note: the area around SF State is very residential and suburban-like and feels very different from SF proper.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:44 PM

45 posts, read 91,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Around here, "favoring" Obama makes you a moderate. A true liberal would say Obama is the chosen one and the closest thing to a Messiah; then go out and slash the tires of any gas guzzlers he/she encounters. I'm only half kidding.

People, for the most part, is more concern with local issues than national politics. Forget Obama, Bush, Gay marriage, and universal healthcare. Those debates have already been settled (Obama - great. Bush - evil and stupid. Gay marriage - good. Universal healthcare - good and SF has it). The issues that SF is concerned with are rent control, gentrification, tax cut for corporations, homelessness, etc.

Since you actually understands the term "ad-hominem", I think you should fit in nicely.

A final note: the area around SF State is very residential and suburban-like and feels very different from SF proper.
Actually a true liberal would say Obama is a moderate Republican.

You would fit in nicely, but don't expect everyone to go on a political rant. SF is liberal, but I have hardly had political conversations with people I don't know very well.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:22 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmod View Post
Actually a true liberal would say Obama is a moderate Republican.

You would fit in nicely, but don't expect everyone to go on a political rant. SF is liberal, but I have hardly had political conversations with people I don't know very well.
I totally agree. I don't know (or do I really care) what my friends/acquaintances think politically. It would be considered uncouth to start some rant about these things in a bar or social/work situation anyway. Cherry picking someplace to live solely by political leaning overall seems like a bad excuse for moving to the other side of the country.

I'm a true "Bay Area liberal" and spent a few years up in a small town outside of Sacramento. Although very annoying and frustrating (this was during GWB's second re-election so it seemed like a huge deal) I met a lot of very nice people despite all of that political hostility.

I managed to overlook their "creepy" religious views and just accept the cookies they placed on my doorstep when I moved in and the way they treated my kids and offered to help w/ my garage sale. I think this is how it really is everywhere as much as that's hard to admit when politics seems to be at the forefront of all media outlets 24/7.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:40 AM

25 posts, read 41,249 times
SF is an amazing place to live an offers a variety of neighborhood choices so there is literally something for everyone. A lot of great comments and info above. I would add, living near SF state probably not the best choice but just over the hill is Noe Valley and the Castro. Both beautiful, lively, walkable and have a strong gay population. For convenience I would choose an area that is fairly close to the school. SF is a small city with a decent public transportation system but traversing the city daily can get frustrating with the traffic and congestion.

Most importantly SF is a very accepting city and while yes, some neighborhoods have a younger feel, there is a lot of diversity in most areas and great options. You will love it!

Old 04-17-2011, 11:23 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honu_follower View Post
I am a former Chicagoan living in NoVA outside of DC. I can't stand it here. I am an outspoken Liberal and it is definitely not welcome but I can't change. I accept evolution, I am not religious, I have a social conscience - but I have had to put up with it because of my sons. The youngest is finishing HS next year and I am now a full time student in College. I have one goal upon his graduation - GETTING OUT.

So far my plan is to transfer to San Francisco State University. I am getting too old to put up with another conservative. I spent time in 2009 living in the French Quarter in New Orleans and was readily accepted in to the gay populaton there. There were just no jobs so I had to return to DC. I am not frightened of the high housing prices because they are jut the same over here accept these employers do not pay the salary to live here. I did some internet research and found Bay Area employers pay a more livable wage than here in Virginia. So the cost thing doesn't bother me.

Here's my question:

At my age (42) I don't want to be going against the tide any longer. I feel if I stay in DC I will be a cantakerous old woman dealing with moron conservatives. Sorry it's insulting to some but I get insulted everytime I try to socialize here and someone over hears my conversatio to a friend about how I favor Obama or when Bush was in office my dissatisfaction with the way the country was going - these bullying conservative would begin by yelling at me that I am un-american and have no respect for my country or a free market. (One of the Major problems in this area is the amount of eavesdropping, which is okay, but if you are going to have an intelligent debate about what you heard leave the ad-hominems out!)

Will I fit in in San Francisco?
I thought the DC area is one of the most liberal areas in the country and DC itself has the highest % democrats compared to any other city! SF is liberal but there are also lots of very vocal conservatives here and you might hear things that you don't want to hear.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
I thought the DC area is one of the most liberal areas in the country and DC itself has the highest % democrats compared to any other city! SF is liberal but there are also lots of very vocal conservatives here and you might hear things that you don't want to hear.
I have heard plenty of things I don't want to hear.

Unfortunately the DC Area is REALLY conservative. I am not very vocal about my opinions, it's just they listen in to every conversation. I bar tend and I had a New Yorker living here as a semi-regular. She and I had a good laugh about how when we go home to either Chicago or NY we look to either side before we say something and our relatives think we've gone crazy. Her dad came in with her one time and said, "Darlings. That only happens in DC.

I just want to fit in.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:14 PM

You see, I don't want rants! I usually am talking with a friend of mine or an acquaintance and kaboom someone is jumping on our case. i.e. my best friend and I are both divorced twice. We were talking about how we don't really understand what the benefit is for women with marriage. We got a lecture on marriage being stable for society and families. After this person begged our ears, I had had enough and said then surely you would support a gay marriage. This person complained to the manager that we were offensive. Divorce is still controversial here and I didn't think divorce was political, I thought it was a fact in society.

I can't get it across quite well. Conformity is EVERYTHING. It's like the Stepford Wives (old version). Liz Taylor said it best, "They expected me to wear tweed."

Old 04-20-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

Really??? Universal Healthcare? Thank God. How does that work?

Thank you for your very encouraging reply. I know it's a long haul across to another coast but I spent half my childhood in California with one year being in San Francisco. I am just not an east coast person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland