Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 6,792 times

Advertisements

So, here I am internet, the night before I have to tell my possible, future employer if I'm going to accept a job from them in San Francisco -- and, I still haven't made a decision. Honestly, it's not an easy decision, though.

My story: I graduated a year ago from college here in New Jersey and have since been on the hunt for a job. And now that it's finally here, I can't seem to bite the bullet. I'm 23 years-old, not married, in no kinds of debt, and no kids. Sounds perfect, right? I guess, but I'm really concerned about the pay and getting by 3,000 miles away from "home."

My salary would be $38,000 with benefits. Not bad for an entry level position -- plus, I'd be doing what I want to do (work wise.) But, in reality, $38,000 is only $26,600 after taxes. I figured 30% of $38,000 is $26,600. Am I right in terms of taxes being taken out?

That's where my real concern lays. At the end of the day, will I be able to survive downtown in San Francisco with that amount of pay? I would like to live in a small studio apartment, by myself. Are there small studio apartments downtown around $1,000 a month?

Thanks, guys! Oh yeah, did I mention I need to tell them by tomorrow night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 10:06 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
It's not a great salary but it's definitely enough to get by in SF if you're frugal, especially if you don't have a car. For one thing I'd recommend living with roommates for at least the first year, it's a good way to meet people (if you roommates and their friends are nice...not always going to happen) and rent is cheaper, you could get a room in a shared apt for around $650-750. Studios in SF are expensive, most decent studios in nice areas are about $1000 to $1200. Sometimes you see ones in good areas for $800-1000 but they are rare and get snapped up really quickly and often have something wrong with them like no kitchen or they're next to a nightclub or something like that. Also avoid studios near downtown or if they are listed as being "in downtown," that just about always means they're in the Tenderloin which is a really crappy area. Studios in the 'Loin are often often $700 to 900 but it's not worth living in a dirty area that is full of junkies and homeless people and crime. Downtown itself, aka the Financial District, is small and is pretty much all office buildings with no real residential buildings.

Areas you could check out to start with are Nob Hill, North Beach, the Dolores Park area, Noe Valley. If you really want a studio and don't think you can swing SF prices, you should look at Berkeley and Oakland which are cheaper and in many ways nicer.

Anyway I say go for it, you have something a lot of people who want to move to SF don't have: a firm job offer.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:40 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Personally think that since you mentioned "getting a job doing what you WANT to do" is the most important factor in your decision.

Rather than focus on the salary, I'd say focus on your dream instead.

I think it's a great start for someone your age just starting out and as you gain experience and build your resume then more $$ will certainly come.

You will initially have to live with roommates and live frugally for a while but this is what so many people do and it's a great way to familiarize yourself with the City.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:50 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
The minimum wage in San Francisco is around $36,000 and so is the poverty level. Get more money or stay in Jersey

Old 04-21-2011, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 6,742 times
I moved to San Fran when I was 22. I had the same exact thought process as you-but it didn't work out. At the end of the day, 38,000 BEFORE taxes isn't that great of a salary. You can not find a reasonable apartment under 1100 unless you want to live in the Loin. (I recommend NO).

Also, you would have to think about what you're leaving behind. I realized that moving that far away from home that young was a mistake. I felt as if at the time, being more in tuned to myself would be the better option, but I realized that I had failed in the end. I ended up moving back home after two years, and to be completely honest with you, those two years were wasted. Living back in my home town, I realize that I had everything I needed right in front of me, I just never put myself out there to try to find the resources.

Do not take this job. The salary isn't enough and unless you had a good amount saved up, you're not going to feel comfortable living there.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:05 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The minimum wage in San Francisco is around $36,000 and so is the poverty level.
LOL. No it's not. That would be something like $17 an hour, and the minimum wage in SF is something like $9.50 an hour.

OP, don't listen to any clueless old people here who say crap like you have to make $100,000 a year just to survive in SF and otherwise you'll be living in a crack den and everything will be horrible. Plenty of people in SF get by on less than $40,000 a year. When you're younger it's easier to do because you are more willing to live with roommates and not have the perfect apartment. Again the nice parts of Oakland are about 30-40% less than anywhere in SF so if you really want a studio instead of living with roommates, look into Oakland.

Any time someone here asks about living in the Bay Area on a small salary, you get a lot of clueless older people who probably don't live in SF and who read too much into SF stereotypes they hear about on TV.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:27 AM

8 posts, read 19,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunk28 View Post
Also, you would have to think about what you're leaving behind. I realized that moving that far away from home that young was a mistake. I felt as if at the time, being more in tuned to myself would be the better option, but I realized that I had failed in the end. I ended up moving back home after two years, and to be completely honest with you, those two years were wasted. Living back in my home town, I realize that I had everything I needed right in front of me, I just never put myself out there to try to find the resources.

Do not take this job. The salary isn't enough and unless you had a good amount saved up, you're not going to feel comfortable living there.
Please...22 isn't even that young to leave home. And to say that those 2 years were wasted, well, wow...I don't think you have anyone but yourself to blame for that, and you certainly shouldn't assume that the op will have the same experience out there. I don't see how you could live in a new place for 2 years and not get anything out of it...that's just sad. Its not the town's fault, its not your salary's fault, its YOUR fault.

OP, I hope you take the job. Don't let this guy/girl tell you that you won't be "comfortable" out there. I bet it would be a really good experience for you, especially since its a job you want. I think you may regret passing it up. Get out there and live!

Old 04-22-2011, 12:43 AM

45 posts, read 91,710 times
OP - please take the job, live in Oakland and Berkeley and make it work. You are already unemployed for a year, and if you look closely at unemployment reports the longer you stay unemployed the harder it is to find a job.

To people who say don't move '3000' miles, you will find hundreds of thousands of people in the Bay Area who have moved 10,000 miles with no money, studied in a grad schools, survived as Teaching Assistants and Research Assistants and have gone on to have great careers. Compared to those people, your situation is much easier and simpler.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:06 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Go for it! I have a few friends living on less than that -- without family networks in the area. In the east bay. Move across the Bay and it is totally do able. (Especially if you do not have debt.)

This is the age to try new things. Do it now, before you chicken out.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:22 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
OP, don't listen to any clueless old people here , you get a lot of clueless older people .
Ouch! signed, clueless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland