Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 10:19 PM

169 posts, read 168,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
^That post is like 5 years old...
right?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 09:52 AM

379 posts, read 785,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustforever89 View Post
I have a similar situation to the girl that got the job offer in the SF bay area. I have received an offer in the Redwood City, CA area for a job that is a dream field for me as well. Its the best offer I have received since I've been out of college as far as pay and hours. The pay is $17/hr with opportunities to earn more and an average of 50 or 60 hours a week. I am still trying to figure out how expensive the bay area is to live. I've seen rooms to share that are as low as $500-600. Unlike the girl who started this thread I have a huge amount of debt from college that is $700 per month. I could use some encouragement or advice from locals.
Back when the first OP posted this topic in 2011, it was possible for a single person without a lot of debt and willing to live simply to work in SF for a salary of 38k. They could've had a studio, or maybe even a 1br, near BART in Oakland / Berkeley, a roommate situation in SF, or possibly even a studio in a far-out part of SF or the Tenderloin.

The cost of everything has risen dramatically since then. These days, I wouldn't suggest anyone move to the SF Bay Area for $17/hr unless they have family to live with for free or a partner making much more. Especially with your student loan debt, you'll be on the edge of poverty and homelessness. You'd be better off making less per hour in a cheaper metro area.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:24 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theAndrew View Post
So, here I am internet, the night before I have to tell my possible, future employer if I'm going to accept a job from them in San Francisco -- and, I still haven't made a decision. Honestly, it's not an easy decision, though.

My story: I graduated a year ago from college here in New Jersey and have since been on the hunt for a job. And now that it's finally here, I can't seem to bite the bullet. I'm 23 years-old, not married, in no kinds of debt, and no kids. Sounds perfect, right? I guess, but I'm really concerned about the pay and getting by 3,000 miles away from "home."

My salary would be $38,000 with benefits. Not bad for an entry level position -- plus, I'd be doing what I want to do (work wise.) But, in reality, $38,000 is only $26,600 after taxes. I figured 30% of $38,000 is $26,600. Am I right in terms of taxes being taken out?

That's where my real concern lays. At the end of the day, will I be able to survive downtown in San Francisco with that amount of pay? I would like to live in a small studio apartment, by myself. Are there small studio apartments downtown around $1,000 a month?

Thanks, guys! Oh yeah, did I mention I need to tell them by tomorrow night?
$26K after taxes in San Fran? Well it's doable, but depending on what you are willing to do. Living in a studio alone is your ideal, but will it really be happening? Odds are everything. Do you plan to own and operate a POV? If I were you, I'd relocate in some place within the bay area and then just take public transportation into and out of the city for work. There are lots of new housing going up in San Fran but I'm not so sure they are building to accommodate vehicle parking. Back in '91/'92 I was living in San Fran with roommates and making close to 20K a year (before taxes). Even back then, I was scraping along and there wasn't near as much set up in the city to take away your money compared to how it is now (parking tickets, moving violations, etc.) Back then I could park 8 hours at the lot on the corner of Market and 8th for $3.50 a day. Now you'll be lucky to find 8 hours parking for under $20.00. And if you happen to get a place to live that is on a street with street cleaning, you can forget about taking public transportation to work on that day or you will need to move your car to a different street on that specific day. But remember, a drillion other people will be doing the very same thing with their cars the very same time so good luck with that.

Sorry for my rant but just trying to pass on to you some things to be ready for that I learned the hard way when I did the very same thing by moving into San Fran. over 20 years ago.

And earlier when I mentioned the city setting up a system to get your money, here's just one example of what I'm talking about, which this wasn't here back when I first moved into San Fran as a single person on my own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3S2MVQW_qs

Old 11-06-2015, 10:03 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLover View Post
Back when the first OP posted this topic in 2011, it was possible for a single person without a lot of debt and willing to live simply to work in SF for a salary of 38k. They could've had a studio, or maybe even a 1br, near BART in Oakland / Berkeley, a roommate situation in SF, or possibly even a studio in a far-out part of SF or the Tenderloin.

The cost of everything has risen dramatically since then. These days, I wouldn't suggest anyone move to the SF Bay Area for $17/hr unless they have family to live with for free or a partner making much more. Especially with your student loan debt, you'll be on the edge of poverty and homelessness. You'd be better off making less per hour in a cheaper metro area.

Or...you could find some roommates and rent a house.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:48 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
$26K after taxes in San Fran? Well it's doable, but depending on what you are willing to do. Living in a studio alone is your ideal, but will it really be happening? Odds are everything. Do you plan to own and operate a POV? If I were you, I'd relocate in some place within the bay area and then just take public transportation into and out of the city for work. There are lots of new housing going up in San Fran but I'm not so sure they are building to accommodate vehicle parking. Back in '91/'92 I was living in San Fran with roommates and making close to 20K a year (before taxes). Even back then, I was scraping along and there wasn't near as much set up in the city to take away your money compared to how it is now (parking tickets, moving violations, etc.) Back then I could park 8 hours at the lot on the corner of Market and 8th for $3.50 a day. Now you'll be lucky to find 8 hours parking for under $20.00. And if you happen to get a place to live that is on a street with street cleaning, you can forget about taking public transportation to work on that day or you will need to move your car to a different street on that specific day. But remember, a drillion other people will be doing the very same thing with their cars the very same time so good luck with that.

Sorry for my rant but just trying to pass on to you some things to be ready for that I learned the hard way when I did the very same thing by moving into San Fran. over 20 years ago.

And earlier when I mentioned the city setting up a system to get your money, here's just one example of what I'm talking about, which this wasn't here back when I first moved into San Fran as a single person on my own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3S2MVQW_qs
He posted this in 2011. It may have been possible then.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:16 AM

732 posts, read 968,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLover View Post

The cost of everything has risen dramatically since then.
These days, I wouldn't suggest anyone move to the SF Bay Area for $17/hr unless they have family to live with for free or a partner making much more. Especially with your student loan debt, you'll be on the edge of poverty and homelessness. You'd be better off making less per hour in a cheaper metro area.
Yep. Later that year, Mayor Ed Lee put forward the tax breaks (a waive of the taxes of stock options) for tech corporations that promise to expand here in SF, and thus the many new job openings & relocations to SF radically increased the housing rates between 2012 and now.

Last edited by 3rdGen SFan; 11-09-2015 at 01:24 AM..

Old 11-10-2015, 01:30 PM

203 posts, read 193,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theAndrew View Post
So, here I am internet, the night before I have to tell my possible, future employer if I'm going to accept a job from them in San Francisco -- and, I still haven't made a decision. Honestly, it's not an easy decision, though.

My story: I graduated a year ago from college here in New Jersey and have since been on the hunt for a job. And now that it's finally here, I can't seem to bite the bullet. I'm 23 years-old, not married, in no kinds of debt, and no kids. Sounds perfect, right? I guess, but I'm really concerned about the pay and getting by 3,000 miles away from "home."

My salary would be $38,000 with benefits. Not bad for an entry level position -- plus, I'd be doing what I want to do (work wise.) But, in reality, $38,000 is only $26,600 after taxes. I figured 30% of $38,000 is $26,600. Am I right in terms of taxes being taken out?

That's where my real concern lays. At the end of the day, will I be able to survive downtown in San Francisco with that amount of pay? I would like to live in a small studio apartment, by myself. Are there small studio apartments downtown around $1,000 a month?

Thanks, guys! Oh yeah, did I mention I need to tell them by tomorrow night?
You can live in east oakland possibly.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:29 AM

7 posts, read 8,839 times
If you cannot find job anywhere else soon then take the job and make the move. But, prepare to live very frugally. My friends who are graduate students earn less on research funding than your potential salary. They do have some free resource from school so on average their situation is similar to yours. I helped several friends looking for jobs in the past few years. I understand that the first job is the hardest to find when you have no experience and reference. I do agree that San Francisco area is too expensive to live comfortably even with $100,000 salary. What you need to do in the next five years is work hard, living frugally (no going out to nice restaurants at all and no travels), and be humble. Once you have a good resume to recommend yourself, you always can move somewhere else with more affordable lifestyle and a good job. My opinion is $38,000 is possible for you to live in the Bay Area but not sustainable for long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland