Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 12:12 AM

7 posts, read 20,843 times

Advertisements

I am a business major and will most likely do a concentration in Accounting.

I visited both schools and like both schools but Im having a hard time choosing between the two schools. I am Asian and am kinda worrying about the fact that CalPoly is mostly white people. And I living in SF so USF is extremely
convenient to attend.

And I think that they both have good business programs.. Also I am kids worrying about graduating in 4 years at calpoly.. But the cost of attending would be cheaper than USF even if I were to stay at CalPoly for 5 years..

Which school should I choose??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 12:54 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
USF is a private school. I'd avoid being shackled with expensive private school tuition if you can. USF is fairly well known in the Bay Area but it's not really prestigious enough to make that pricey tuition worth it.

I'd ask people who work in accounting, hopefully there are some here. What about schools like SFSU, UC Davis, etc? Cal Poly I think is supposed to be good for some things but it seems like it would be boring being in SLO.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:12 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
A friend of mine got an MBA there a couple of years ago. She is doing well in here career, with a great job at a big tech company. Her classmates (the onesI have met) are also finding success, in and outside of the Bay Area. She focused on international business. Networking opportunities are very good at USF. I'd choose it over Cal Poly, since the Bay is a much better business climate, and business school is all about networking.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:51 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltong88 View Post

I visited both schools and like both schools but Im having a hard time choosing between the two schools. I am Asian and am kinda worrying about the fact that CalPoly is mostly white people. And I living in SF so USF is extremely
convenient to attend.

And I think that they both have good business programs.. Also I am kids worrying about graduating in 4 years at calpoly.. But the cost of attending would be cheaper than USF even if I were to stay at CalPoly for 5 years..

I used to attend USF for two years and ALL of my friends with accounting majors found great jobs in a big four accounting firm. It's a lot easier finding an internship as well being in the city. The most important thing is getting good internship(s) during your college career. I'd say it's more important than getting good grades. However, you need good grades to get good internships. I partied too hard my first year in college, which hurt my GPA. Take my advice and study hard too, even during the first year. You might feel like you are wasting your time because all your classes won't have anything to do with your major, but you don't want to end up having to kill yourself bringing your GPA back up to a 3.5 just because you messed around the first year lol. Also, try to maintain a 3.5 GPA, that's the requirement for most good internships. Networking is very important for business majors, which is why living in a small town is generally a poor decision for business majors. The high price of tuition actually can be justified by small class sizes and a small graduating class. I transferred to a large university and you really are just a number. I'd also be worried about more education cuts in the future for public schools. There have been so many improvements since I attended, I'm jealous you're going to get the benefits from my tuition, grrrrr! lol.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:

convenient to attend.

Considering everything you have mentioned and the accounting interest I would choose USF although, personally I love the overall feel of SLO.

Nita

Old 04-19-2011, 10:21 AM

193 posts, read 436,842 times
I am a Cal Poly alumnus and majored in Business (considered accounting but went with MIS instead). I feel the quality of my education was excellent and was a relative bargain. The class sizes were small, instructors were full of industry related experience and I noticed that the various business concentrations were pretty tight knit between each other and the faculty. This led to a lot of networking opportunities which led to jobs for many, both internships and full time.

I graduated in 2007 and then students from MIS and Accounting were heavily recruited by the Big 4 and many other companies. Not sure how things are now a days but I can't imagine the faculty still doesn't have great relationships with a lot of folks in industry. As an aside, Cal Poly as a whole seems to do a very good job of helping their alumni find jobs.

Also, I had class with numerous Asian students and there are Asian specific social networks on campus that you could utilize.

Not to take anything away from USF because I don't know much about the school at all and I am obviously biased but I encourage you to give SLO a closer look.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassino View Post

Also, I had class with numerous Asian students and there are Asian specific social networks on campus that you could utilize.
Thanks! That definitely helped me ease some worries.. I have one question, did u manage to graduate in 4 years?? And did u get a job recruit quickly??

Old 04-19-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
USF is a private school. I'd avoid being shackled with expensive private school tuition if you can. USF is fairly well known in the Bay Area but it's not really prestigious enough to make that pricey tuition worth it.

I'd ask people who work in accounting, hopefully there are some here. What about schools like SFSU, UC Davis, etc? Cal Poly I think is supposed to be good for some things but it seems like it would be boring being in SLO.
Exactly, USF docent really deserve having such a pricy tuition.. But being in he city, nothings really cheap. I did consider both SFSU and UC Davis but Davis isn't really strong in Business but rather sciences.. And I didn't get in so that's kinda out of my reach. As for State, I'm worrying about getting classes and graduating in four years.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:43 PM

193 posts, read 436,842 times
Quote:
Thanks! That definitely helped me ease some worries.. I have one question, did u manage to graduate in 4 years?? And did u get a job recruit quickly??
I graduated in 5 years but I also went through a couple of majors, which is a little unheard of at Cal Poly plus I took my sweet time in doing it. I was enjoying SLO a little too much. Graduating in 4 years from the College of Business is quite do-able with a good effort.

I had received a couple of job offers and had a job secured before I graduated but the job market wasn't quite so tight then. You could try contacting Cal Poly's career center to see what information they have about job placement for last year's graduates.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
USF has a good sized Asian population, about 25% of the students. So you won't be alone on campus by any stretch of the imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland