U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 04:49 PM
rah

3,086 posts, read 4,804,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Everyone in favor of deporting NorCalDude to the Sac board which none of us have invaded with anti-Sac negativity, say aye.

Aye.
Quadruple aye. But we'd also need a brave soul from the Bay Area forum to sacrifice themself and almost exclusively troll the Sacramento forum for a few years straight, to make things even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 05:29 PM

10,129 posts, read 12,661,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
  • Skylines serve as a kind of fingerprint of a city
  • Paul D. Spreiregen, FAIA, has called a skyline "a physical representation [of a city's] facts of life ... a potential work of art ... its collective vista
  • The skyline of a city can be seen as symbolic of the city's influence and economy
Skylines are overrated as an indicator of any economic power, influence, etc..or anything really. Look at DC, San Jose, LA, etc... Not saying I don't like a nice skyline and all but people put a little too much stock into what they "mean" imo.
Quote:
In the upcoming years, Oakland's skyline would be able to compete with San Francisco's, if these buildings are complete.
Dude come on, even with these new buildings Oakland cannot compete with SF. I know you've love Oakland and all but you really overrate it's skyline. It's not on par with some of the cities you claim it is like LA.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:09 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,570,462 times
"Dude come on, even with these new buildings Oakland cannot compete with SF. I know you've love Oakland and all but you really overrate it's skyline. It's not on par with some of the cities you claim it is like LA." - sav858

These new buildings would add height, length, density, light, and architecture to Oakland's skyline.

The Encinal Tower, would become the most recognizable tower in Oakland, would give the Transamerica Pyramid, the most recognizable tower in San Francisco, a run for it's money.

With it's unique and unparalleled design, along with the new skyline layout, Oakland's skyline would no doubt become a vista for the city itself, as well as the East Bay Area

My point is, Oakland's skyline will become a vista comparable to San Francisco's skyline.

"Some look at things that are, and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not?" - -- George Bernard Shaw

Old 04-30-2011, 08:46 PM

940 posts, read 1,120,907 times
it appears developers are eager to build hi-rises in oakland but i'm not optimistic .the anti-development cabal has too much influence.residential hi rises near bart stations with 15 minute commutes to downtown SF seems like a good idea to me.i don't get the opposition it's not like oakland can't use the tax revenue and consumers.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:15 AM

2 posts, read 935 times
As a transplant from the Southeast(Atlanta) I have to say I've found a new home! I've never met such amazing and nice people as I have in Oakland! I truly feel a connection to this place. I love the diversity as a black man coming from the heart of Dixie it was amazing to see how diverse it is in the East Bay. I'd probably be what some would consider a hipster but I'm not oblivious to my privilege as my parents are both high paid professionals. Having said that I appreciate some of the positives that come with gentrification most notably the lowered crime but I hate the changing of the character of an area into a plastic recreation of the suburbs which is way worse in Atlanta than it is here. I'm setting up shop here because I love it despite all the **** my friends talk about it.

They all moved to Brooklyn so they could be cool and are scared to death of Oakland because they only know what they hear in the media, and I think that's a good thing!Don't come here hoping to change this city into a bland version of the suburbs, move here and work within the culture that exists here, make it better but don't change it into Walnut Creek the urban edition. Hopefully the reputation will make only those people who aren't looking to recreate their suburban childhood and kick out families who have lived here for years because they couldn't afford to live anywhere else want to move here. I hope this didn't come off as pretentious but I really and truly love this city and wouldn't wanna live anywhere else in America except for Atlanta where I grew up and maybe Chicago where I spent a significant portion of my childhood with a family friend.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:12 AM

5,588 posts, read 2,946,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefka View Post
They all moved to Brooklyn so they could be cool and are scared to death of Oakland because they only know what they hear in the media
Wow, I guess Brooklyn really has changed Glad you like the Town; it's not quite as "exciting" as ATL or Brooklyn but definitely has a high quality of life.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:30 PM

264 posts, read 172,322 times
Im more inclined to think that Oakland will become a more desirable location than San Francisco simply because of the cost, and hastel associated with going to San Francisco. at peak hours today to drive over the bay bridge it costs you $6. to park can run you upwards of $100 a month. A mojority of the Bay Areas population actually resides in the East Bay, even more so than silicon valley, witch is really just a mini LA sprawl-vill or a gigantic suburb. Oakland is central and is well connected to transit. For companies the overhead is much less than either of the other two major cities here. I have a small tech company and its much easier for me to get new talent in Oakland than in San Jose or San Francisco. Oakland IS a major city. You forget Oakland was the terminus of the transcontinental rail road Oakland airport was the first major airport in the Bay Area, and the Port of Oakland is one of the largest seaports in the country. Furthermore, Oakland has some of the wealthiest zip codes in the state.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:10 AM

2 posts, read 935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Wow, I guess Brooklyn really has changed Glad you like the Town; it's not quite as "exciting" as ATL or Brooklyn but definitely has a high quality of life.
I think it's way more exciting than ATL I'm saying that as a 22 year resident of the peach state. I spent my first 6 years in Memphis, one year in Alabama at Military school, one year in Oakland and the rest in Metro Atlanta. I've lived in Atlanta proper since 2001 and I have no doubt the year I spent in Oakland from 2009-2010 was the best year of my life. I cannot wait to move back to Oakland next month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland