Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:58 PM

11 posts, read 50,657 times

Advertisements

@IMK1707 Thanks. Ill check it out. $1000 is what id "like" to pay - figure ill have to pay more. Someone had metioned Emeryville to me, any thoughts on that place?
@mayorhagger - thanks for that link, it was great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 06:26 PM

527 posts, read 1,576,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysdad View Post
@IMK1707 Thanks. Ill check it out. $1000 is what id "like" to pay - figure ill have to pay more. Someone had metioned Emeryville to me, any thoughts on that place?
@mayorhagger - thanks for that link, it was great!
I actually included Emery in that craigslist search, there was nothing in your price range. I'd vote for it over San Pablo or El Sob, definitely, but Albany/Pinole/El Cerrito are more family-oriented.

To have a nice two bedroom in a nice area near Richmond, I'd count on paying at least $2,000/mo. If you don't care what your apartment/appliances look like, you can probably knock that down to $1,200 - 1,500/mo. If you don't care about a nice neighborhood or a nice apartment, you could bump it down to $800 - $1,000/mo. You would have better options if you expanded your search beyond a few minute radius from Richmond.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:17 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Even a 1br will be hard for under $1000. I would really see what you can find in places like Fairfield, but a 2br for around $1000 would be like rural Florida prices. Fairfield would mean something of a commute but it might fit your price point.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:43 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
There are 1 and 2 bedrooms (nothing extravagant) available in Richmond for $1000, actually, but you hit the nail on the head in your previous post, mayor: schools. OP needs a safe environment for his son. It's a tough spot to be in.

If OP is able obtain to obtain a loan - either FHA or conventional and the down payment needed, he could get creative and go for some of the downed condo stock available in Hercules and Pinole, which is ultimately very close to his work.

It's very possible right now (esp with a 20% down on a conventional) to own a condo in a nicer area with better schools for the roughly the same amount as you'd rent in a poorer neighborhood of Richmond right now (and often, also be able to nab an extra bedroom).

If you were willing to commute a bit, the Concord condo market is even more affordable with the average cost coming in right now at just over $99,000. Schools are better than Richmond, though not nearly as good as in Hercules, where the majority of cheaper condos can be found near Richmond.

I don't know if the down payment or the loan is manageable at this date and time, but it's an extra option at least. I think there are a lot of benefits to the idea of building equity while at the same time moving into a better area.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:46 AM

11 posts, read 50,657 times
Thanks for all the help! With all the cities im looking at I keep coming back to Hercules because of the communte time, and neighborhood. It seems like a family oriented area as well. Im not looking for an area with the nightclubs, bars and hottest social scene, my nights consist of going over homework and watching iCarley...lol

Old 05-02-2011, 09:09 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Thank you for your response. I will be renting, and from what ive seen so far, WOW! rent is unbelieveable out there. So from what Im hearing there is no "nice, family friendly" area in Richmond?
Richmond's reputation is far worse than its reality. The areas around Hilltop Mall are just fine. So is El Sobrante, so is Carriage Hills, so is East Richmond. Point Richmond is probably one of the nicest neighborhoods in the entire East Bay btw.

Neighboring Pinole, El Cerrito & Albany, not to mention Hercules all have good areas as well.

The best thing to do is to go there and look for yourself.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:16 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,349 times
I'm not super familiar with the East Bay, but isn't Martinez a pretty nice town? I know its not far from Richmond. Is adjacent to an oil refinery though.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:59 AM

8 posts, read 27,257 times
My dad was born and raised in Richmond and that part of my family still lives there. I've yet to see any area that looks like a nice, safe place to live...Point Richmond is great but sounds like it would be beyond your price range. I think you have the right idea with Hercules. El sobrante is nice too. I always thought of San Pablo as basically just part of Richmond so I would avoid it too. I live in Martinez and it's slightly farther out than Hercules and El Sobrante but it's a really nice place to live. Aside from people I know who actually live on, or in the close vicinity of, Pacheco Blvd (the main street along the refineries) you pretty much forget it's there. At least I do anyway.

I think your definitely going to have to stretch your budget a little farther for any of these places, you would probably be able to find an apartment for around 1,000 though

Old 05-10-2011, 07:26 PM

24 posts, read 79,752 times
Quote:
I am a single father, my son is 9 years old. I have been offered a job in Richmond but everything I hear about Richmond has been awful. I’m thinking there has to be a good, safe area in Richmond right? What are some good areas to raise kids in around, or in Richmond. Someone mentioned Walnut Creek, Montclair, Rockridge and Hercules as options. Wherever I choose I’d like to be no further than a few minutes away If I have to pick my son up from school for any reason. Right now I live in a suburb in Arizona called Surprise, looking for something like that out in the Richmond area. The zip code where I will be working is 94804 if this helps. Thanks!
Hey,

I've lived next to richmond my entire life, and I hope I can be of some help. First things first. The city of Richmond is well known throughout America as being one of the most crime ridden and dangerous cities for its size, with gangs, drugs, prostitution and murder being commonplace in certain areas of the city. Now for the good news: Most of the gang activity is isolated in certain neighborhoods such as North Richmond, much of South Richmond, and central Richmond. There are still a handful of affordable, decent, safe, and even good areas of richmond. The following are good areas :East Richmond Heights/the Richmond Hills, basically anything east of san pablo avenue and up in the hills is either decent or good. If you go up to arlington blvd. and look in areas around Adams Middle School, Vista Elementary, and the Mira Vista Golf course, you'll find homes between 200,000 at the low end all the way up to the 600,000+ that are in safe neighborhoods, many with views of the bay. Drive around, it really feels more like El Cerrito and you forget that you're even in richmond. Point Richmond is great, but very expensive, and is right next to the Chevron refinery. Lastly, there is Richmond annex, which is a decent to good area, but I think it's overpriced and less safe than the richmond hills. It is too close to some not so great neighborhoods, so spillover crime can be a problem. A high ranking MS-13 gang member was arrested near or in the Richmond Annex neighborhood not too long ago. If your looking in the annex, you need to look at the neighborhood east of interstate 80 closer to El Cerrito.

If you're looking for other affordable cities (between 200,000 and 400,000) houses in the east bay and within a few minutes of Richmond the safest cities your going to get is Pinole (best areas are east of I-80, although most of pinole is good), El Sobrante, and El Cerrito (although it is somewhat expensive). Hercules, Crockett, Rodeo are mostly good and safe, but it would take you at least 10-15 minutes to get to Richmond, more in traffic. If I were you, and I wanted to live close to Richmond, and wanted a safe affordable neighborhood i'd look in El Sobrante,Pinole, and the Richmond hills/view area. I've lived in this area my whole life and I don't think you'll be disappointed in the nieghborhoods i've mentioned. Just think about sending your kid to private schools if your going to live here, most of the West Contra Costa Unified School district is horrible, especially after elementary.

Last edited by BayAreaGuy87; 05-10-2011 at 08:20 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 10,641 times
Understand Richmond school district in flux due finiancial downturn, troubled, has been taken over by outside agency who due (oversize classes, test scores plummetting, sp, etc) is rumored paying alternate districts to take kids from RCH district... Costwise and education-wise I think your best close school option would be somewhere San Rafael, despite Richmond/San Rafael Bridge toll, and possible 20 minute commute...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland