Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 01:11 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyCity View Post
My point was that all that crime, shootings etc. that you hear on the news, almost daily, as well as those recent riots that took place, would be to close for comfort if I was living there in Oakland.
Touchy subject in here, given the media bias that sensationalizes murders in Oakland as opposed to any other part of the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 04:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcitedAboutCali View Post
I've recently graduated from college and excited about my new move! I've visited a few times and have always wanted to relocate after college so I'm glad it's all working out. My first CA experience was LA/Ventura/Anaheim and after seeing North California, SoCal was out of the picture!

I'll be making 60K and prefer suburbs with access to urban areas. I would love a downtown area, and parks since I may get a pet. I have a vehicle so I don't need to live within walking distance of any stations, but I will definitely take advantage of public transportation. Commutes aren't an issue, my territory is pretty much North CA and I have company car for those expenses. I don't need anything large, 1-2 bedrooms and I prefer duplexes/small complexes.

I need some help on areas to look into, because my only restrictions are being within an hour of an airport. No kids, so schools don't matter, only things that matters are price and safety.

I know that I don't like the steepness of San Francisco, but I wouldn't mind some hills. I've visited San Mateo/Foster City, Fremont, Sunnyvale and San Jose and I like them as far as the landscapes go.

I'm kind of overwhelmed with the many areas I could possibly live and need some help. Please suggest any cities you think would work out.

Thanks !!
The first place that comes to mind is Oakland.

Congrats on landing a job and $60,000 will work, but remember living in CA especially the bay area will be costly. Again, good luck.

I also love San Mateo if you can find something that is in your budget. You might also look into the east Bay area. I know some are suggesting San Jose. For me, but his is just me, I would take almost anywhere else. San Jose to me is too much like Los Angeles. If you didn't like L.A. I can't imagine liking San Jose.

Nita

Old 05-03-2011, 08:32 AM

560 posts, read 581,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Touchy subject in here, given the media bias that sensationalizes murders in Oakland as opposed to any other part of the Bay Area.
I actually like oakland, been to the coliseum many times for games and concerts, it just very disturbing when you see those things happening. It happens way too frequently.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:47 AM

7 posts, read 8,010 times
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I'm iffy on Oakland, but I have heard from family members that it's not as bad as the media makes it out to be. I would prefer to be in an area that's further away from a lot of action. I really like the suburbs!!

Old 05-03-2011, 10:02 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Quote:
Clueless? As I stated, all of Oakland is not like that, some good areas. My point was that all that crime, shootings etc. that you hear on the news, almost daily, as well as those recent riots that took place, would be to close for comfort if I was living there in Oakland. I would much prefer living in San Jose. Just my personal preference. And again like I stated there are some good areas there in Oakland. There is nothing clueless about what I stated. Have a wonderful evening
Rockridge (like many other parts of Oakland you don't know anything about) is like all upper middle class white people living in rehabbed craftsman homes with a late-model Acura in the driveway. Lots of parts of San Jose are scruffy guido city, with lower class people with multiple cars in their yards and sheets over the windows. Don't act like San Jose is all white picket fences and tech nerds.

Anyway to the OP, if you like the suburbs I'd go with somewhere around Millbrae or San Mateo over anywhere in Silicon Valley or San Jose. If you really wanted to go with somewhere around Silicon Valley, I'd go with Mountain View, it at least has a nice walkable downtown area.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
parts of San Jose are scruffy guido city, with lower class people with multiple cars in their yards and sheets over the windows
sorry to hear that your visit to san jose was an unpleasant one. may I suggest a better itinerary next time you come visit us

not saying san jose doesnt have any flaws, it does like any major city. all I stated initially was that my preference was to live here san jose. I have no doubts that there are alot of late model acuras in driveways there

Old 05-03-2011, 04:21 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
sorry to hear that your visit to san jose was an unpleasant one. may I suggest a better itinerary next time you come visit us

not saying san jose doesnt have any flaws, it does like any major city. all I stated initially was that my preference was to live here san jose. I have no doubts that there are alot of late model acuras in driveways there
People have some serious misconceptions about SJ. It is a safe big city for sure, mostly because it isn't very dense. Because of that people tend to gloss over the fact there are lots of urban problems (gangs, etc). One thing you won't hear about: SJ used to bus kids in from poorer areas of town to desegregate the schools. This happened at my school. Growing up, downtown SJ was no man's land because the gangbangers were out and there was lots of crime: muggings and other violent crime. It wasn't really cleaned up until maybe 7 years ago.

SJ was so small then, it had a very low profile nationally and in the Bay Area, so you didn't hear about things.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
People have some serious misconceptions about SJ. It is a safe big city for sure, mostly because it isn't very dense. Because of that people tend to gloss over the fact there are lots of urban problems (gangs, etc). One thing you won't hear about: SJ used to bus kids in from poorer areas of town to desegregate the schools. This happened at my school. Growing up, downtown SJ was no man's land because the gangbangers were out and there was lots of crime: muggings and other violent crime. It wasn't really cleaned up until maybe 7 years ago.

SJ was so small then, it had a very low profile nationally and in the Bay Area, so you didn't hear about things.
Well according to the latest census San Jose is now the 10th largest city in the country. Unfortunately with all large cities there will be crime. Over the last few years San Jose has always ranked as one of the safest large cities in the country, even thee safest city. Certainly one of the reasons I like living here. Another reason being that its the bay area, and easy access to the many surrounding communities. Each community is unique and special in its own way, with all having positive and negative attributes. Face it, we dont live in a perfect world and thats what makes life interesting

Old 05-04-2011, 08:51 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Quote:
as well as those recent riots that took place,
you mean the ones that happened like a year ago when nothing really happened but people breaking into Footlocker and lighting some dumpsters on fire?

One of the main reasons Oakland's reputation sucks is because people parrot the SF Chronicle or what other people have told them when they've never even lived there.Stick with boosting San Jose until you actually live here.

With that said, the OP wants a suburban lifestyle, and Oakland doesn't really fit the bill. Walnut Creek, Dublin, San Mateo, and Redwood City are better options that are either closer to SF or less expensive than San Jose.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Well according to the latest census San Jose is now the 10th largest city in the country. Unfortunately with all large cities there will be crime. Over the last few years San Jose has always ranked as one of the safest large cities in the country, even thee safest city. Certainly one of the reasons I like living here. Another reason being that its the bay area, and easy access to the many surrounding communities. Each community is unique and special in its own way, with all having positive and negative attributes. Face it, we dont live in a perfect world and thats what makes life interesting
and they have the 5th largest newspaper in the country, can you believe that? WOW!!! I remember when San Jose was just a mid sized city south of San Francisco and not much of anything. Of course I also remember when Detriot was the 3rd largest city in the country...I guess I am telling my age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland