Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,752 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am relocating to San Francisco this fall. I will be working in the Financial District but want to live in a single family home with a yard (bigger the better) in a quiet (and safe) neighborhood. I would prefer my commute not be longer than 45 minutes and I am willing to take public transportation. I would prefer not to spend more than $400,000 on a house. I'd love feedback regarding which areas would be best as well as how realistic I am being. I am not concerned with being close to restaurants, shops, etc. and I don't have children. My top priorities are the yard, living in a quiet area and my commute not being too long.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 04:49 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,028,685 times
Read these, also there should be tons of past topics here about this...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...bed-house.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...putations.html

Basically I would say look at some of the cheap but nice parts of Oakland like the Dimond District, and maybe Concord. Hercules and Pinole would fit that budget but would probably be an hour commute or more.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:14 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,169,591 times
How big and how new of a house? If you're looking for a 3 bed 2 baths 1,700 sq ft house with two-car garage that is built post 1980 then it's not realistic. On the other hand, if a 2bed 1 bath 1,100 sq ft or less with one car garage (or no garage) built before 1940 works for you then you actually have several options.

Also, how much cultural diversity can you tolerate? You don't have to answer that but keep in mind neighborhoods with diversity that leans towards minority (but not Chinese, Japanese or Korean) and/or have large percentage of recent immigrants tends to be a bit less expensive than neighborhoods with the perceived "right" kind of demographic. Some of these areas are actually quite safe and you tend to get a better bang for the buck in these nabes.

Without knowing your criteria, I'd suggest you check out South San Francisco (uh no, SSF is whole different city than SF), Daly City, Brisbane (though probably out of your price point), the nice part of Oakland (generally north of 580 and around Lake Merritt, generally...).

You are not going to find many SFH within SF under $400k without getting very close to or in the bad area. But once in while, one does pop up but usually a fixer.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:51 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,950,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaSmith View Post
Hello! I am relocating to San Francisco this fall. I will be working in the Financial District but want to live in a single family home with a yard (bigger the better) in a quiet (and safe) neighborhood. I would prefer my commute not be longer than 45 minutes and I am willing to take public transportation. I would prefer not to spend more than $400,000 on a house. I'd love feedback regarding which areas would be best as well as how realistic I am being. I am not concerned with being close to restaurants, shops, etc. and I don't have children. My top priorities are the yard, living in a quiet area and my commute not being too long.
Thanks!
Pleasant Hill would be a great choice---there are plenty of homes in your price range with big yards. There's also a BART station.

Search for Homes -- ZipRealty

Old 05-07-2011, 12:06 AM

140 posts, read 435,269 times
Default Broadmoor Village, Winston Manor & Island of Alameda

I think Broadmoor Village, Serra Highlands, & Winston Manor are great deals for nice homes at affordable prices, great transportation, low crime rates, etc.

Broadmoor Village is Daly City & Serra Highlands / Winston Manor is SSF, both pretty much adjacent to one another on either side of Hwy 280, Winston Manor further to south. Both are great commuter locations, but you must not mind some cooler weather which I personally like, but some don't.

If willing to do bridge, tunnel & boat - I would look at island of Alameda, use the Ferry Boat commute to financial district, & have friend who does this & loves it.

These areas have cute 2-3BR homes with yards under $400K.

Last edited by Jasmine658; 05-07-2011 at 12:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland