U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 05:44 PM

26 posts, read 55,608 times
Ah! Maybe UrbanDecay is who clongirl had in mind when she said "the goods are odd."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 05:46 PM

Ah! Maybe gnomatic is who clongirl had in mind when she said "the goods are odd."

Old 05-12-2011, 10:01 PM

653 posts, read 712,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by single_gal_siliconvalley View Post
Ah! Maybe gnomatic is who clongirl had in mind when she said "the goods are odd."
Well, for someone who claims to be so intelligent, you could at least be a little original and not so repetitive when attempting to insult me. And being called "odd" is hardly insulting to me...especially considering the source.

I don't pretend to speak for clongirl, but I think her statement refer to the single men of SV. If so... I am definitely not what she had in mind. I am many things, odd perhaps to some, but I am most definitely NOT a guy.

Sorry if the opinion of someone who lives here (and has for the last 11 years), is a software engineer, who work along side and am good friends with MANY MANY Indian/and or Hindu colleagues disagrees you. It's a fact, the only single Indian male I ever worked with, with the except of two, all married before they were 30.

They found their partners on hindu matchmaking sites (which they tell me is fairly common and accepted in the community). "Dating" and "Love Marriage" is EXTREMELY rare even among those who are in their twenties...though it is now becoming more common. Even the two who were in their mid thirties, met their partners through online matchmakers too. And their partners were doctors in their twenties. If you want to date a "desi", there aren't that many here. Most in your age groups are new immigrants, and as I said before, already married. The few "desi" I know, all married non Indians that they met in college, and before they were thirty.

Oh.. and for (regardless of race) the nice intelligent single engineers who wants to settle down. They just want a nice, sensible, family oriented women to love and love them in return. Not someone who would move across country without a job offer, to high cost of living area that still have very high unemployment rate, just for the weather and because she is getting old and needs to find a husband!

But you obviously already up your mind, and am here to look for people to validate your decision.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 PM

355 posts, read 656,954 times
I always chuckle with amusement when people complain that they can't find a mate, but then rattle off a long list of "requirements" and "pre-requisites" (or they aren't honest with themselves about the long list they really do have).

Maybe the issue is not that there aren't enough men, but that there aren't enough men that meet all of your requirements. Step out of your comfort zone, you might be pleasantly surprised. What's the worst that can happen and how would that be much different than what you are experiencing now?

Old 05-13-2011, 06:53 AM

Honey, I am not limiting my options to Indian and Hindu men only. I am totally open to dating outside of my race and religion. Thanks anyway for calling me "desperate" and painting a picture of gloom and doom in my future. It's very positive, kind, and thoughtful of you.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:03 AM

I certainly have stepped out of my comfort zone, however it just didn't work. For instance, I went on a few dates with a white Christian evangelical man. He wouldn't stop talking about God and Jesus and heaven and hell. As much as I respect his right to believe whatever he wants, I was turned off by the way religion kept coming up in so many of our conversations.

I went out with a conservative gun-owner even though I consider myself moderate to liberal on most issues, and I was turned off by his die-hard conservative views about everything.

I went out with a motel manager who didn't read and couldn't talk about anything.

I went out with a musician who couldn't hold down a job.

An entrepreneur who had crazy amounts of debt and was about to file bankruptcy.

A perfectly intelligent, nice man with a job except that he had erectile dysfunction because of his Type 1 diabetes.

There aren't many single men out here to begin with, so it's amazing I even went out with so many guys in the last year.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:35 AM

653 posts, read 712,328 times
Quote:
Honey, I am not limiting my options to Indian and Hindu men only. I am totally open to dating outside of my race and religion. Thanks anyway for calling me "desperate" and painting a picture of gloom and doom in my future. It's very positive, kind, and thoughtful of you.
Ah..thanks, "Honey", glad you appreciate it.

I didn't "paint the picture", you did. I just put a label on it.

Good luck to you whatever you end up doing, since you obviously already decided. Not sure why you are still trying to convince us (or maybe it's yourself) the root of your dating problem is JUST about your location.

Yes...I will go back to behaving myself now ... it was amusing, but not all that challenging.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:35 PM

3,667 posts, read 4,610,348 times
The harder you look for something the less likely you are to find it. If you want a change of scene, come on out. When you are happy and at peace with yourself , others are attracted to you. I think you WOULD be happier in SV than where you are.
BTW, don't turn your nose up at "guys in their mid-twenties". You're saying at 34 , you wouldn't be interested in a guy who's 26 or 28? Hope not. Good luck to you.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:38 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,564,178 times
I think people here act younger until later in their lives...people get married later, have kids later, buy houses later partly because it's so expensive to "settle down" and buy a house and do the 2.5 kids thing. People keep going out in their 40's like they were in their 20's, I guess it's just more acceptable here. On the one hand it might be easier to keep dating until later in life without settling down, but on the other hand it might feel harder to find Mr. or Mrs. Right who also wants to settle down and buy a white picket fence house and have 2.5 kids.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:46 PM

3,254 posts, read 3,465,077 times
I know some very nice guys in Pleasanton/ San Ramon / Walnut Creek areas. You gotta ask them though. Lots of shy guys here.
Quote:
I'm a single woman in Atlanta, and I'm seriously considering relocating to Silicon Valley in order to meet a man who is intelligent, not overly religious, decent-looking, fairly well-groomed, and nice (he must have a job, of course) . I've heard there are lots of single straight men in Silicon Valley/SF Bay area as well as in NYC. So, I'm wondering if it would be a better idea to move west or north.

Even if the male to female ratio is higher in Silicon Valley, I was wondering if there are more single men in the NYC area, just in terms of sheer numbers because of the larger population in general. Does anyone know how many single straight men there actually are in Silicon Valley? As opposed to actual numbers in NYC? I'm 34 years old, so I'm looking for men from age 32 to 38-ish.

If I were to move to Silicon Valley, are there any single men in their thirties left over there? Here in Atlanta, it seems everyone, and I mean EVERYONE in their thirties is married with a kid or two. Trust me, I've looked. Men marry young in the South compared to the coasts. If I stay on here, my only hope is to wait for the married men to start getting divorced. Does anyone know if men in their thirties are plentiful in SV?

Finally, if I do move to SV, where do I want to be to meet single men in the 32 to 38 age range? That is, what part of SV, precisely in what city or suburb? I know where I live will eventually boil down to where I find a job, but I'd like to find a job close to these areas.

Finally, since many of these men are techies who work crazy hours toiling away in their cubicles, where and when can I actually meet them? Do they ever leave their cubes to go get lunch and dinner at a restaurant, deli, or sandwich shop? If so, where do they go? Do they go to any particular gyms, bowling alleys, coffee shops, or sports bars? If so, where in SV are these places? If you're a single guy in SV, maybe you could give me some pointers about where to hang out.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland