U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 05-12-2011, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
6,408 posts, read 3,131,580 times
Reputation: 7298
Default Stanford MBA program

Has anyone been through the evening MBA program at Stanford?

Was it worth it?

Any pro's and cons about the program would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 05-12-2011, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Bay Area
2,982 posts, read 3,909,302 times
Reputation: 2611
Have you looked into how much it'll cost?

I know the Berkeley program cost something like 120k, so I can only imagine Stanford will be around the same or more (this was for the "Executive MBA" ...the standard evening program was around 80K).

I guess it's only going to be worth it if you:

1. Think you'll recoup the costs with a very high income afterward

2. If your current employer has a program that helps pay for this (many do)

3. If you're already on the "ladder" of career advancement and an MBA will enhance your current position.

4. If you're fairly young and can see a clear path ahead of you and have a lot of time for study.

I can suggest another program that I'm familiar with for FAR less cost and with the equivalent prestige worldwide if you're at all interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-12-2011, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
6,408 posts, read 3,131,580 times
Reputation: 7298
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Have you looked into how much it'll cost?

I know the Berkeley program cost something like 120k, so I can only imagine Stanford will be around the same or more (this was for the "Executive MBA" ...the standard evening program was around 80K).

I guess it's only going to be worth it if you:

1. Think you'll recoup the costs with a very high income afterward

2. If your current employer has a program that helps pay for this (many do)

3. If you're already on the "ladder" of career advancement and an MBA will enhance your current position.

4. If you're fairly young and can see a clear path ahead of you and have a lot of time for study.

I can suggest another program that I'm familiar with for FAR less cost and with the equivalent prestige worldwide if you're at all interested.
#1,2 and 3 apply. I am 46 years old...and maybe # 4 if you count me as fairly young but I am certainly not to old to attend an MBA program.


It has nothing to do with the prestigious nametag of Stanford. However I am open to any suggestions about any programs.

I am interested in Stanford for several reasons:

I live right next to the campus

I work for both public and non profit.

Stanford offers a:

Nonprofit/Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program

The GSB Nonprofit/Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program is part of the school's broader goal to have greater social impact and increase our community's social awareness and accountability.
The objective of the GSB Nonprofit/Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program is to encourage MBAs to enter the public/nonprofit sectors by reducing the financial impact of their educational debt on the relatively low salaries these sectors offer. The program accomplishes this goal by paying a percentage of graduates' GSB loan obligations while they are employed in nonprofit/public service.
The income eligibility for full loan forgiveness is updated annually, and based on a percentage of the median base salary and bonus income of the prior year's graduating class at the GSB. Assets will be considered when determining eligibility. Although a reasonable amount of assets will not disqualify an applicant, substantial amounts of assets may lead to a reevaluation. GSB graduates may apply at any time during their career while they are still in loan repayment status.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-12-2011, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Bay Area
2,982 posts, read 3,909,302 times
Reputation: 2611
Unfortunately I can't speak specifically with the program at Stanford, but if there's financial help from your company then I would certainly consider the program..I have no doubts that it's excellent.

As for the name recognition, it actually DOES matter on a resume (even though it's uncouth to say it in public and although not intended might spark some anger/debate, which I don't want to do). Stanford is one of the top MBA programs in the country. I say go for it!! Also your accessibility to the campus can't be beat.

I'll dm you some info I have of another program I'm familiar with if you want to investigate....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-12-2011, 08:54 PM
hsw
 
2,066 posts, read 3,870,480 times
Reputation: 1332
No one smart has entered an MBA pgm anywhere in past 15+yrs

Perhaps, from '80-'95, MBAs from Stanford/Harvard were "union cards" to enter investment banking (though not trading) at Goldman, etc (and, even back in '80, guys like Ballmer dropped out of Stanford MBA to go to this MSFT start-up of era)

Today, smartest and highest-income are either CS undergrads from Stanford (completed in 2yrs) or college dropouts or MS in CS (and CS PhD dropouts)

Era of MBAs is long over, as any relevant finance and acctg is easily learned via abt $250 of Kindle texts and a few wkends of self-teaching...and 1-2 yrs working at most profitable gps at Apple or Google is far more valuable learning than hanging around slow kids on any college campus for some Luddite union card

Examine formal education of top engineers/founders throughout SV: most automatically view 99+% of MBAs (and others w/multiple degrees) as the retarded yet overeducated yet less economically productive/innovative of world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-12-2011, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
6,408 posts, read 3,131,580 times
Reputation: 7298
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
No one smart has entered an MBA pgm anywhere in past 15+yrs

Perhaps, from '80-'95, MBAs from Stanford/Harvard were "union cards" to enter investment banking (though not trading) at Goldman, etc (and, even back in '80, guys like Ballmer dropped out of Stanford MBA to go to this MSFT start-up of era)

Today, smartest and highest-income are either CS undergrads from Stanford (completed in 2yrs) or college dropouts or MS in CS (and CS PhD dropouts)

Era of MBAs is long over, as any relevant finance and acctg is easily learned via abt $250 of Kindle texts and a few wkends of self-teaching...and 1-2 yrs working at most profitable gps at Apple or Google is far more valuable learning than hanging around slow kids on any college campus for some Luddite union card

Examine formal education of top engineers/founders throughout SV: most automatically view 99+% of MBAs (and others w/multiple degrees) as the retarded yet overeducated yet less economically productive/innovative of world
That may be true for certain jobs but for my profession it opens many doors. It has been a life change for many in my profession and I would like that life change as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-13-2011, 12:42 AM
 
Location: South Korea
5,246 posts, read 5,594,902 times
Reputation: 2765
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post

I know the Berkeley program cost something like 120k, so I can only imagine Stanford will be around the same or more (this was for the "Executive MBA" ...the standard evening program was around 80K).
Jesus Christ! And it's not like an MBA will guarantee you any kind of a career these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-13-2011, 12:44 AM
 
Location: South Korea
5,246 posts, read 5,594,902 times
Reputation: 2765
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
#
Nonprofit/Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program

The GSB Nonprofit/Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program is part of the school's broader goal to have greater social impact and increase our community's social awareness and accountability.
The objective of the GSB Nonprofit/Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program is to encourage MBAs to enter the public/nonprofit sectors by reducing the financial impact of their educational debt on the relatively low salaries these sectors offer. The program accomplishes this goal by paying a percentage of graduates' GSB loan obligations while they are employed in nonprofit/public service.
What percentage? Unless it was like 90% I wouldn't go for it, non-profits don't hire many people and they don't pay well at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-13-2011, 01:02 AM
 
Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
6,408 posts, read 3,131,580 times
Reputation: 7298
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
What percentage? Unless it was like 90% I wouldn't go for it, non-profits don't hire many people and they don't pay well at all.
Depends on what non profit and what type of job you do there. I work for a non profit and make very good money. Did you know that all blood centers are non profit? Did you know that most hospitals are non profit?

My reason for posting is to find out if anyone has gone through the Stanford evening MBA program. That is really what I wanted to receive feedback on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-13-2011, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
2,418 posts, read 1,329,848 times
Reputation: 1308
Default Does Stanford HAVE an evening MBA program?

I don't know if the Stanford GSB has an evening program. It seems that they only do a full time degree program. This is straight from their website:

Frequently Asked Questions: About the GSB: Stanford GSB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top