U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-30-2006, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,249 times
Default Could be moving from Phoenix to the Bay Area!

As the title reads, I'll most likely be moving to the Bay Area from Phoenix, AZ for a job. I spent some time over the past week looking at apts in the Mid-Peninsula area and the Concord/Walnut Creek area. I'm leaning towards Concord b/c of it proximity to the Bart Line and the apartment(s) I'm interested in meet my requirements. I would be working in downtown San Fran in the Civic Center area. Is that downtown?

Any how, how is the Concord area as opposed to the Mid-Peninsula? Also, are people in the Bay Area laid back? I grew up in Florida and have lived in Phoenix for the past 2 years so I'm used to a kick-back type of attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2006, 11:06 PM

1,209 posts, read 4,425,975 times
As a former Bay Area person, now living in Phoenix and soon to be relocating to Austin...I can hopefully provide a bit of insight.

I lived in downtown SF for 3 years and in Mountain View on the peninsula for 2 years. I'd say generally - the high tech energy is very strong and there is a work hard, play hard vibe. Once the work turns off I'd say people are really laid back and most interested in being outdoors, etc.

I can't speak to Concord...good luck to you!

Old 09-18-2006, 11:23 PM

3 posts, read 33,641 times
Well, I've been in the Bay Area for 10 years or so, and am planning a move to Arizona...for cost of living...but to answer your questions:

Civic Center is close to downtown - it is a rough area a lot of drug dealing, mingled with affluent workers commuting in to work in the finance and law offices. Strange place. Very easy to get to with BART.

Concord is probably a pure commuting town. Walnut Creek started off like that, and was apparently pretty dull 10 years ago, but has grown to become quite hip and trendy with those who can afford it. Very nice for families.

Mid-peninsula (where I live) is extraordinarily expensive, and not laid back. The people here have either (1) owned a house for a decade, or (2) have two large incomes; most of the couples I know net 350-600k per household. Without children it is much easier, but the pressure to keep up is always in the air - unless you are really wealthy.

For laid back, look at Berkeley (still expensive), or outside the commuting belt in Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa, Napa.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:41 AM

2,813 posts, read 9,123,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playboy View Post
As the title reads, I'll most likely be moving to the Bay Area from Phoenix, AZ for a job. I spent some time over the past week looking at apts in the Mid-Peninsula area and the Concord/Walnut Creek area. I'm leaning towards Concord b/c of it proximity to the Bart Line and the apartment(s) I'm interested in meet my requirements. I would be working in downtown San Fran in the Civic Center area. Is that downtown?

Any how, how is the Concord area as opposed to the Mid-Peninsula? Also, are people in the Bay Area laid back? I grew up in Florida and have lived in Phoenix for the past 2 years so I'm used to a kick-back type of attitude.
Concord is the cheapest option you mention for housing/apartments, but that's a pretty long commute into San Francisco daily on BART and that two-way commute ticket adds up. Maybe your employer will give you a discount coupon that businesses in San Francisco get from the City to distribute to employees to help with the cost of commuting...good point to ask as it was almost a $30 discount six years ago when I used it. The Civic Center is... not so nice. It's not downtown and like Snowmouse says, it's a rough area. I used to be careful walking through it with my senses on high alert. If you're single, renting a studio apartment in San Francisco itself might be the best option. Rents came down a bit lately and you might find a good value by SF standards. I loved my apartment I had on McAllister and Steiner (near the famous row of Victorians off of Alamo Square you see in those postcards with the skyline of SF in the background). That's the Western Addition district. Other areas I'd have gladly lived in were Green Street or Union Street, or Noe Valley. It's expensive, but so is the mid peninsula. Good luck!

Old 09-21-2006, 07:49 PM

10 posts, read 24,094 times
Quote:

I may be moving that way too here soon! I live in Phoenix as well, and am tired of it. I am looking for a job in SF, NYC, Chicago or D.C. If anybody has lived in one or more of these pleaces I need advice. If I do choose SF, what's the nicest area. I'll worry about housing costs later! Thx!

Old 09-24-2006, 07:13 PM

22 posts, read 51,087 times
My friend just moved from Oregon to SF right around the corner from the "painted ladies" of SF. She lives on Hayes in a beautiful garden apartment on Hayes Street (down the street from Alamo Square Park). She has a one bedroom that cost about $2k a month which is a medium priced apartment.
I could not afford to live here in WC except for the fact that I have been here for over 40 years. My family lived by Half Moon Bay before moving to WC in the 60,s. The coast is nice, as is Marin...San Anselmo, etc.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:41 PM

150 posts, read 584,493 times
Quote:

I grew up in Walnut Creek and have lived in the bay area all my life. Walnut Creek has changed a lot and I would not describe it as a laid back sort of area at all. My general impression is that people are always in a hurry and the area is kind of snooty these days. I do not know how much Concord has improved in the last few years, but when I was younger Concord was not as nice as the Walnut Creek area. BART has a huge station in Walnut Creek and it is not too far to travel to the downtown area of Walnut Creek from BART. If you have any specific questions about Walnut Creek I would be happy to give you any info I have.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:14 PM

31 posts, read 34,406 times
I've lived in Walnut Creek my whole life and Im thinking about moving to concord. Walnut Creek is pretty expensive, Concord has some bad areas, as does Walnut Creek. DONT MOVE TO CREEKSIDE I LIVED THERE FOR TWO WEEKS AND MY CAR WAS STOLEN. I'd actually recommend Pleasant Hill...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland