Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 10:56 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

Interesting article in the Bay Citizen about Marin slacking off on their diversity planing. I can't believe it.

http://www.baycitizen.org/housing/st...es-out-groups/

Quote:
"There are community leaders of color who would like to sit down and talk about the outreach plan, but they get no response," said Richard Marcantonio of the legal nonprofit Public Advocates, which sent a letter to the county on behalf of a coalition of community groups including the Grassroots Leadership Network of Marin and the Marin Community Foundation.
Best Quote:

Quote:
"In San Francisco and Berkeley, they are used to people who look different or have accents," he said. "In Marin, it is very rare to have a customer who looks different or has an accent, and people look at you."

"Sometimes you get so used to it that you don't even notice," Arana said. "In most of the Bay Area, it's not exotic to have people of color around."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 10:58 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Marin...diverse? Well I guess there are some billionaires mixed in with the millionaires.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:57 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times
What is the point of this? To attack a concentration of white people?

It's as if our celebrate-diversity society has a problem with white people.. period. The Chinese in Cupertino are condoned in their implicit but obvious aversion to those unlike themselves, as are the Chinese communities in SF and Oakland.. as is the Vietnamese community in San Jose.. ad nauseum.

Amid all this, the PC police are always on a witch hunt for concentrations of white people b/c such white people, in the minds of the PC police, "need to be diversified".

Old 05-18-2011, 09:23 PM

500 posts, read 841,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
What is the point of this? To attack a concentration of white people?

It's as if our celebrate-diversity society has a problem with white people.. period. The Chinese in Cupertino are condoned in their implicit but obvious aversion to those unlike themselves, as are the Chinese communities in SF and Oakland.. as is the Vietnamese community in San Jose.. ad nauseum.

Amid all this, the PC police are always on a witch hunt for concentrations of white people b/c such white people, in the minds of the PC police, "need to be diversified".
It's not about being White in the Marin... it's mostly about being rich. I'm all-White and look hippy-hipster-ish and had been harassed by police a lot during visits to the Marin. My friend from NYC who's White too had told me the same thing had been happening to her there. There's income-patrol and "DWP" in the Marin. I always keep myself and my car low-key--figure better be harassed by the cops then be shot in one of the places I frequent at late hours...

Old 05-18-2011, 09:34 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
On Diversity vs Integration vs Desegregation
My favorite non peecee lightning rod has another new essay out just now which touches on this topic. An excerpt:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredReed
A staple of political correctness is that groups eventually merge into happy indistinguishable citizens. Occasionally, yes, if the groups are similar and want to assimilate: The Irish and Italians in the US did. Jared points out that, whatever one might wish, it usually doesn’t happen. Sunnis and Shiites have been around since the seventh century. They celebrate diversity by exchanging car bombs. In the US, neither blacks nor Amerindians have assimilated to the dominant European culture, nor have the cultures blended.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:41 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
On Diversity vs Integration vs Desegregation
My favorite non peecee lightning rod has another new essay out just now which touches on this topic. An excerpt:
This guy extensively quotes from Jared Taylor of American Renaissance, which is a white supremacist organization. Nuff said.

"PC" is pretty much a catch-all cheap label used by people who want to stifle any reasonable conversation about race or equality, or to proudly promote theories about race and ethnicity that don't stand up to logic or scrutiny.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:15 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
I think it's pretty stupid to even have a race-based "diversity plan" in the first place, just more social engineering BS that turns people off. I'd prefer to see pushing for socio-economic diversity rather than just focusing on someone's race, you'd get more racial diversity by doing so anyways without the stigma of being just about minorities.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:28 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Best Quote:

How funny your idea of a "best quote" regarding diversity is from the observation of a white Spaniard.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:38 AM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times
After having contemplated this matter further, I concluded that "diversification" is pretty much a catch-all cheap label used by people who want to stifle any reasonable conversation about race or equality, or to proudly promote theories about race and ethnicity that don't stand up to logic or scrutiny.

You can see quite clearly that anyone who would dare to not agree with me on this matter would be stifling, unreasonable, baselessly proud, self-promoting and illogical.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:44 AM

93 posts, read 363,478 times
please! the worse racism in any american city is towards whites, within the last decade. This crying wolf crap is SUPER old. MLK would roll over in his grave to see this pathetic abuse of the race card being used around every corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland