U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-26-2011, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 3,756 times

Advertisements

Help! As many before have asked and yet I can't seem to find any info specific to this but I did search...

We are returning to CA (from SF to NJ and now back) and have decided on Lafayette. We are moving very soon.

Sadly the housing inventory is low and we haven't been able to find a home. We are expanding the search to include Walnut Creek and I am trying to get some real folks experience with regards to the districts.

It looks to me like WC Elementary is a "better" district than Mt. Diablo, maybe just because it is smaller? Any thoughts from parents in the know?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 11:28 AM

25,110 posts, read 32,698,544 times
Walnut Creek Elementary is exceptional as its test scores are among the highest echelon of all CA districts(scoring 900+ Academic Performance Index)

Here are the districts and schools in all of CoCo County by API score.
2009 Base API County List of Schools - CONTRA COSTA County

Old 05-26-2011, 12:28 PM

Thanks, the API scores I've looked at pretty closely but am really looking for the information the scores don't give you. For example, on another forum I was just told Mt. Diablo district has had furlough days. Overall, it looks like WC Elementary + Acalanes Union is a better bet than Mt. Diablo Unified.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:32 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,579,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryli View Post
Thanks, the API scores I've looked at pretty closely but am really looking for the information the scores don't give you. For example, on another forum I was just told Mt. Diablo district has had furlough days. Overall, it looks like WC Elementary + Acalanes Union is a better bet than Mt. Diablo Unified.
There have been a lot of budget cuts to the Mt Diablo Unified. I haven't heard much publicized news from the WC District having quite the same shortfalls in funding.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:41 PM

10,352 posts, read 13,808,404 times
I read something back a while ago about the Mt Diablo USD schools in WC wanting to break off and join the WCUSD. I believe the schools located in WC that are part of Mt Diablo USD are good but they are part of a district that includes a lot of bad schools in Concord. So they're good schools in a relatively poor performing district as a opposed to good schools in a good district. Personally I prefer the areas of WC located in the WCUSD and Acalanes anyways.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:35 PM

That makes sense sav858. Thanks for putting what I was thinking into words regarding the WC schools that are part of Mt. Diablo. A friend has recommended we target Parkmead, Walnut Heights and Indian Valley Elementary schools within WCSD which was also super helpful (for anyone else's future reference).

Old 05-26-2011, 02:09 PM

2,987 posts, read 4,795,447 times
All the schools listed above and really all the schools in WC are good. There have been some really noticable budget cuts that have affected Walnut Creek. There has also been furlough days as well. Every year there is some sort of budget shortfall and parents/schools have to come up with funds in WC. Lafayette and Orinda are also very highly ranked (the schools in Orinda I prefer over WC). The Mnt. Diablo school district will have a shorter school year and schools are closing down, so this will be interesting to see how things play themselves out over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland