U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:03 AM

14,141 posts, read 14,816,747 times
I'd strongly suggest you make a visit before deciding on the relo. Based on the background you describe it could be quite a culture shock, particularly if you move somewhere closer in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 08:15 PM

8 posts, read 12,016 times
The East Bay is a great place to live with your small children, but the commute will be a little longer of course. I grew up in Danville and it was a great community (still is) to grow up in. However, it can be sort of a sheltered community. One of its nicknames is "the bubble" if that tells you anything. Anyway, they have great public schools, nice parks, a cute downtown with resteraunts, lots of walking paths, and nice parks. The Blackhawk area is the most expensive area. You may also consider Alamo, which is very similar, but a little smaller. Your husband could take BART into the city from the Walnut Creek station or even drive to Orinda and get on there. Orinda is a very nice place too. Good luck.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 865 times
Hi tn1171

We are in a similar position as your. WE will probably be relocating to the SF area from Portland, if all works out. We have school going kids and don't want to be too far from SF Financial District. Did you go through the renting process (our budget would be very much like yours)? What cities suited you best? Any input you can provide based on your experience would be much appreciated!

Old 08-02-2013, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 491 times
So interesting. I've lived and studied in the United States, in the SF bay area and in Kentucky. I love the States. I now live in France. I love both countries for different reasons. I'm looking now to invest in the States, houses being so cheap compared to Paris. I'm doing some research for this reason and that's why I read posts on this website. I'm surprised to see that good schools and good neighborhoods seem to be the chief criteria in people's choice of a place to live in the US and this determines the house price to a greater extent. In France, such concern exists as well, but not to such an extent. 90% of the public schools are good. 90% of the neighbourhoods in the Greater Paris Area are safe and have good schools. One only has to avoid the 10% notorious areas whereas in the States, the percentage seems to be reversed. 90% are bad and only 10% are good. There are more bad public schools than good ones. I live in Noisy-le-Grand, in the Paris region, a town heavily populated by blacks, but even the blacks in Noisy-le-Grand seem to be gentrified compared to their brethren in the States. Out of twenty high schools in where I live, 18 are good and 2are really bad. The catholic private schools where I send my kids are realy cheap compared to those in the states. I pay only €2500 (about $3250) for two kids aged 12 and 17.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:07 PM

189 posts, read 138,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of USA View Post
So interesting. I've lived and studied in the United States, in the SF bay area and in Kentucky. I love the States. I now live in France. I love both countries for different reasons. I'm looking now to invest in the States, houses being so cheap compared to Paris. I'm doing some research for this reason and that's why I read posts on this website. I'm surprised to see that good schools and good neighborhoods seem to be the chief criteria in people's choice of a place to live in the US and this determines the house price to a greater extent. In France, such concern exists as well, but not to such an extent. 90% of the public schools are good. 90% of the neighbourhoods in the Greater Paris Area are safe and have good schools. One only has to avoid the 10% notorious areas whereas in the States, the percentage seems to be reversed. 90% are bad and only 10% are good. There are more bad public schools than good ones. I live in Noisy-le-Grand, in the Paris region, a town heavily populated by blacks, but even the blacks in Noisy-le-Grand seem to be gentrified compared to their brethren in the States. Out of twenty high schools in where I live, 18 are good and 2are really bad. The catholic private schools where I send my kids are realy cheap compared to those in the states. I pay only 2500 (about $3250) for two kids aged 12 and 17.
Thats because France and Europe in general treat blacks a lot better than USA has in the past. Blacks in Europe are far more integrated in mainstream society than they US and do not have a separate "thug" culture.
They do not have a distince accent or culture. Hence they cause far less trouble and your schools are better funded, not much a distinction between the haves and have nots. Unlike here, where we are fast becoming third world.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:47 PM

17 posts, read 10,260 times
I would consider Alameda or parts of Oakland. One can even (rarely) score a rental in Piedmont (best schools in the inner east bay). All of these areas have express rush hour bus service operated by AC Transit (the transbay lines start with letters, like P for Piedmont, and E which goes to Claremont on the Oakland/Berkeley border) to a terminal right next to the financial district in SF. Rockridge or Claremont, or even Elmwood in Berkeley may suit your needs.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:29 AM

15,644 posts, read 9,655,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of USA View Post
So interesting. I've lived and studied in the United States, in the SF bay area and in Kentucky. I love the States. I now live in France. I love both countries for different reasons. I'm looking now to invest in the States, houses being so cheap compared to Paris. I'm doing some research for this reason and that's why I read posts on this website. I'm surprised to see that good schools and good neighborhoods seem to be the chief criteria in people's choice of a place to live in the US and this determines the house price to a greater extent. In France, such concern exists as well, but not to such an extent. 90% of the public schools are good. 90% of the neighbourhoods in the Greater Paris Area are safe and have good schools. One only has to avoid the 10% notorious areas whereas in the States, the percentage seems to be reversed. 90% are bad and only 10% are good. There are more bad public schools than good ones. I live in Noisy-le-Grand, in the Paris region, a town heavily populated by blacks, but even the blacks in Noisy-le-Grand seem to be gentrified compared to their brethren in the States. Out of twenty high schools in where I live, 18 are good and 2are really bad. The catholic private schools where I send my kids are realy cheap compared to those in the states. I pay only €2500 (about $3250) for two kids aged 12 and 17.
The US has a ton of class separation and stratification and little class mobility. We also do not care if all students are well educated. It is not on the priority list.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:35 AM

15,644 posts, read 9,655,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
Thats because France and Europe in general treat blacks a lot better than USA has in the past. Blacks in Europe are far more integrated in mainstream society than they US and do not have a separate "thug" culture.
They do not have a distince accent or culture. Hence they cause far less trouble and your schools are better funded, not much a distinction between the haves and have nots. Unlike here, where we are fast becoming third world.
This assertion makes no sense at all. There is still racism there as well. As for accents? That depends some black people I. Europe are immigrants, some are native born. There is no one black experience here or there. There is also not one black culture. This "thug culture" is a media fabrication and doesn't not represent all American black people.

We have trouble discerning class issues from race issues.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland