Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 12:23 PM

63 posts, read 299,651 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for the further information. I have just started my search on schools in Mill Valley and Sebastopol. I called Waldorf a week ago and spoke with the admissions person. There is no doubt that I would have to learn a lot more about this system, before I committed to it. I have huge reservations about this system. There are many aspects of it that I like and then, there are some that I doubt. I just don't have enough information to make a good decision on this. Thank you for the information, Ioreoea. It is interesting. I have mostly studied curriculum design in my Masters program, so we didn't study individual programs, such as the Waldorf system. I also focused on secondary science curriculum designs and inquiry based learning, as well. Additionally, we also don't see the Waldorf system, at all, in our neck of the woods. Even if I could agree with the Waldorf system, I am scared that, if it didn't work out, for whatever reason, where would that leave my daughter? What other school options do I have? I have heard negative and positive things about the public Sebastopol schools. Anybody out there know much about them? I also checked into some Mill Valley schools (just a bit) and they sound very good, but their websites really tell me very little. I need some input from parents. Tell me about the elementary schools (and also high schools) in Mill Valley and Sebastopol. What are your experiences - good or bad. Any information is appreciated. Ioreoea, you seem to know quite a bit about education, plus you seem to have done your homework, which is fantastic. Your children are lucky to have you. I welcome any more info you have.

Also, I do understand that a child's parents make the difference as to whether or not a child turns out snobby, but I have to say that I have seen good families turn out snobby children. Obviously there are many factors involved, so it is hard topic to discuss, objectively. I think, though, the community does make a difference. I live in a ski resort area and there is money here. Truly, the community does make a difference in a child's life- for better or for worse. There are a lot of advantages here, but there are also other issues. One's community does shape a child's personality. I've seen it. So, with that in mind...what are your feelings about how Mill Valley's or Sebastopol's community will shape my child? Any thoughts?

FYI: Ioreoea...just to clarify. When I mentioned a horse....you have to understand how I grew up. I grew up on a farm. We didn't have a lot. Money was always tight. I worked hard, studied hard, played hard. I was happy, with my animal friends. As a junior high schooler, I earned $750, over a couple of summers, for my first horse. I took care of it and earned my money in order to feed him. I chose hay over a pair of designer jeans. I hauled water, in the winter, every morning at 6 am, before school. (And winter was COLD in Montana!) I wasn't spoiled or snobby. So, the reason why I value having a horse or any animal is because of my positive experiences- the love I bestowed on it and because I had to earn my own money to take care of it. My daughter loves animals as well, and I am hoping to teach her how to take care of them and to take responsibility for them. I realize that horse property is expensive, so obviously, it may not happen. So, I would have to find other responsibilities for her, but she truly love animals, so it would be sad if she couldn't have a horse or other animals to take care of. Where I come from, horses are common. I just will have to get used to a different kind of life in CA. It will be a hard adjustment for me. Anyway, one must realize where I am coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 09:15 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningWild View Post
My daughter loves animals as well, and I am hoping to teach her how to take care of them and to take responsibility for them. I realize that horse property is expensive, so obviously, it may not happen. So, I would have to find other responsibilities for her, but she truly love animals, so it would be sad if she couldn't have a horse or other animals to take care of.
Dog is your co-pilot.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:37 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,511 times
Yes, dog is a good idea...

But, but but... Come on Runningwild, you are a poor farm girl... You know as well as I do that what you learned can not be reproduced in any school no matter how good.... You and your husband work from home! Your need to commute for school is only a few short years, and most likely will not be in rush hour both ways.. Get out in the country!

California is expensive, but I have come to the conclusion it is all about sacrifices... If you do not need to be convenient to a big metro, if you can put up with a smaller older house, I suspect you will find a mini farm on a few acres for under $600K in west county... Less if you look east of Sebastopol, in the valley or avoid prime vineyard soils..

It's California, the whole point of living their is the good climate so you can be outside more... Make the sacrifice.. Get a small, old place with some land for a horse and a couple of chickens and a goat.. Give your kids a taste of what you had... The responsibilities and joys of raising farm animals, is not replaceable..

Sacrifice something else..

This is the opinion of a farm raised kid.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:07 AM

69 posts, read 186,623 times
In general, real estate prices including rentals are LESS in the UNINCORPORATED areas of West Sonoma County ........ and of course this includes many small and sometimes eccentric communities such as Forestville, Occidental, and Guerneville ....... and OUTSIDE the Sebastopol city limits.

As for schools, the redevelopment agencies were cancelled and that leaves an extra 5 Billion Dollars a year going into schools and public safety. When these finances will become available, however, may be subject to pending litigation between CRA and various other parties.

Be sure to check out the Occidental Center for Arts and Ecology for organic farming / permaculture

Old 02-09-2012, 05:22 AM

NY Times article

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/10/23...alifornia.html

Food and Art in Sebastopol, California - NYTimes.com

Old 03-02-2012, 07:27 PM

6 posts, read 11,055 times
Live in Mill Valley. Schools are good. People do have a good income here, but no one cares but outsiders. Lots of bikers, hikers, runners, etc. Smaller houses and yards. Larger homes are available if you are willing to pay for it or drive up narrow streets heading up to Mt. Tam. Lots of kids because of proximity to SF and schools. Corte Madera, Tiburon, and surrounding areas are also good.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:07 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
I have family in Sebastapol. Not snooty at all....a nice community, very liberal, and a very significant part of its economy reliant on marijuana growth. If the last two points don't bother you, you should enjoy it very much.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:52 AM

Default Sebastopol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I have family in Sebastapol. Not snooty at all....a nice community, very liberal, and a very significant part of its economy reliant on marijuana growth. If the last two points don't bother you, you should enjoy it very much.
And on the last of these points, be sure to VISIT the area before moving there !!! The same advice would apply to much of any area in California or Oregon - even the Ashland-Medford area as we found out - where the climate is warm enough outdoors for marijuana growth. However, this also occurs indoors in colder areas

Old 03-19-2012, 09:49 PM

6 posts, read 17,325 times
RunningWild: I just finished reading through this thread. I am half Chinese

We are a family of 4 (3 year old and 7 month old) seriously considering relocating to Cali by the summer of 2013 to escape NYC and the kindergarden madness.

We were in Sonoma for a family reunion last week and visited Sebastapol and looked at 5 houses with a realtor (she was kind enough also to give us a tour of the town, including the Waldorf school). Anyhow, we were looking for something close to town, as we want walkability. We looked at homes ~500K and saw some cute 3 bedrooms on small acreage. I just wanted to let you know that the realtor told us that the current "stock" of homes on the market was quite low. She thought that many people in the area were holding on to their homes in hopes of a market recovery before selling. The realtor herself lived in the "unincorporated" part of town on a larger plot of land that sounds more like what you are looking for.

We loved the vibe of the town. I also liked the proximity to Santa Rosa (the realtor took us on the back roads you can take instead of the freeway) for big box stores and possibly employment. After we saw a few homes we drove to Jenner for dinner at the River's End restaurant, which overlooks the Russian River emptying into the Pacific. I can't stop thinking about Sebastapol!

(However, now I also think we need to check out Mill Valley)

Old 03-24-2012, 08:13 AM

63 posts, read 299,651 times
thank you, NYC_mom99, for your info. I am curious how you found Walforf?
I just finished a visit to to Sebastopol and Mill Valley. It has been very interesting. I am afraid that I don't have time to write right now, but I will add more lately. The two different cities are VERY different, in my opinion. Where you choose to live really depends what your focus will be, in my opinion. I will continue to write in my 2 threads until I move and even a little after that, as many people have found this information helpful, I believe. So, come back later...I will write more later, when time allows. My perspectives are interesting, as an outsider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland