U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2011, 07:39 PM
 
4 posts, read 12,972 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I have a job lined up in Menlo Park to begin January 2012. Because we have 2 young elementary age children, we hope to move in August so they can start the school year. Also, because of said children, we'd like a safe neighborhood with good schools, though a "10" is not required.

Since we are moving before my position (and pay) begins, we are looking for a 2br ($1800-2200) or 3br ($2100-2400) but with "movement" within the community. Once I've begun work and we are settled, we can pay up to 3200 for 3-4br. We'd like to be in a school district that is decent from K-12, but if not, at least through 8th grade.

We've looked at Fremont, Foster City, Belmont-Redwood Shores, and San Carlos. Are there other suggestions within a 30 minute commute of Menlo Park?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2011, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
13,131 posts, read 8,137,011 times
Reputation: 7904
For the sake of a decent commute, why not start looking in Menlo Park itself? If you can afford it, the schools are very, very good. Note that this does not apply to the Belle Haven neighborhood (which is separated from the rest of Menlo Park by the 101 freeway), which is a relatively low income area and is served by a different school district.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 01:27 AM
 
Location: SF Peninsula
18 posts, read 43,248 times
Reputation: 28
You should definitely consider Menlo Park first. The schools are very good and it is a nice place to live. If you can't find an apt that you like in your price range, you could also try Mountain View or Los Altos. I would shoot to stay on the west side of the Bay if I were you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 12:59 PM
 
4 posts, read 12,972 times
Reputation: 11
Thanks. We decided to pick Fremont. Rents were just so much cheaper. We could get a 4 bedroom house for less than a 2 bedroom apartment with no washer/dryer on the peninsula. Even a 3 bedroom in Menlo Park or other close peninsula properties was at least $800-1000 more.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 01:36 PM
 
Location: San Jose
16 posts, read 42,207 times
Reputation: 14
I would move to Livermore. It is about 15 minutes farther from Menlo Park than Fremont. But, it is much cheaper than Fremont and a much nicer area. The schools there are great and the quality of life is much better IMO. Has a much more laid back feel than the rest of the Bay Area, but still a city with 85,000 people and a very nice downtown area. The city is also surrounded by wineries. I used to commute from Livermore to Redwood City and it wasn't bad at all. The way I see it, I work hard all week and wanted a nice place to enjoy life on the weekends. Crime rate is very low and has a sense of community that is hard to find in a place like the Bay Area. A couple years ago, I moved to San Jose and regret it so much. Now I'm down in San Luis Obispo and once I finish my masters degree I'm headed back to Livermore
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 03:00 PM
 
3,204 posts, read 4,534,794 times
Reputation: 4030
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuesta1992 View Post
I would move to Livermore. It is about 15 minutes farther from Menlo Park than Fremont. But, it is much cheaper than Fremont and a much nicer area. The schools there are great and the quality of life is much better IMO. Has a much more laid back feel than the rest of the Bay Area, but still a city with 85,000 people and a very nice downtown area. The city is also surrounded by wineries. I used to commute from Livermore to Redwood City and it wasn't bad at all. The way I see it, I work hard all week and wanted a nice place to enjoy life on the weekends. Crime rate is very low and has a sense of community that is hard to find in a place like the Bay Area. A couple years ago, I moved to San Jose and regret it so much. Now I'm down in San Luis Obispo and once I finish my masters degree I'm headed back to Livermore
Livermore is nice and much cheaper, but.....

It is not even close to 15 min further than Fremont. I'd say 30-40 minutes if you were weren't driving at rush hour. If you have to come home on 580 in the evening, good luck with that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
28,095 posts, read 32,197,938 times
Reputation: 28189
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuesta1992 View Post
I would move to Livermore. It is about 15 minutes farther from Menlo Park than Fremont. But, it is much cheaper than Fremont and a much nicer area. The schools there are great and the quality of life is much better IMO. Has a much more laid back feel than the rest of the Bay Area, but still a city with 85,000 people and a very nice downtown area. The city is also surrounded by wineries. I used to commute from Livermore to Redwood City and it wasn't bad at all. The way I see it, I work hard all week and wanted a nice place to enjoy life on the weekends. Crime rate is very low and has a sense of community that is hard to find in a place like the Bay Area. A couple years ago, I moved to San Jose and regret it so much. Now I'm down in San Luis Obispo and once I finish my masters degree I'm headed back to Livermore
15 minutes? Not really. You can take 84, but it is a bit surface street like. More like 15 miles. I'd pass.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 01:23 PM
 
Location: San Jose
16 posts, read 42,207 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Livermore is nice and much cheaper, but.....

It is not even close to 15 min further than Fremont. I'd say 30-40 minutes if you were weren't driving at rush hour. If you have to come home on 580 in the evening, good luck with that.
True. I used to commute at 4am lol. But, if you are in southwest Livermore near the 84, the first mission blvd exit in Fremont is only about 10 miles away. Many people in Livermore commute to San Jose, SF, Oakland. So it is not unusual. I was just throwing out all options.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 01:24 PM
 
Location: San Jose
16 posts, read 42,207 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
15 minutes? Not really. You can take 84, but it is a bit surface street like. More like 15 miles. I'd pass.....
The new highway 84 is much nicer. I prefer that drive to the 580 anyday.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 02:15 PM
 
3,204 posts, read 4,534,794 times
Reputation: 4030
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuesta1992 View Post
True. I used to commute at 4am lol. But, if you are in southwest Livermore near the 84, the first mission blvd exit in Fremont is only about 10 miles away. Many people in Livermore commute to San Jose, SF, Oakland. So it is not unusual. I was just throwing out all options.
Yes, and people also commute from Tracy, Discovery Bay, Stockton, Modesto, etc to the Bay Area. Sure, its possible and you'll get a bigger house for your money, but where is the quality of life?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top