Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:16 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliooop View Post
I couldn't find any info on the fight you mentioned either. It seems all the news is talking about the shooting. All these large events in the city draw people in from all over the bay area. At this point I expect a shooting to happen at every one of these things, and they're always explained as being gang-related when reported on later. I don't attend any celebrations anymore. I'd rather stay home and spend a quiet evening than play the bystander lottery.

I've been here since 2006, which I think was the last year they allowed the halloween celebration. In fact, I was on my way home about 30 mins after the gay pride weekend shooting that happened last year, just a couple of blocks from where it happened. I didn't even know it had happened yet but there was definitely an air of sketchiness and I remember saying I wanted to get home and out of the crowd as fast as possible.
Yeah I figured that some of those people were certainly from different parts of the Bay. It just sucks because I was there.... and I saw it all happen. I saw his head jolt back and forth hitting the concrete. It was not a pretty sight at all. My natural instinct was to go and help him. When I got there, he was bleeding but I saw his eyes moving. I hate gangs beyond what the word hate even entails. I am not ashamed to say it either. In fact, I wish my hate were greater than it is just to simply hate gangs and I will pursue all efforts to hate them even more.

But about the sketchiness, I feel you... I think it's like that in every major event. I've just moved here from Austin in April and last SXSW was pretty sketchy as well. Lots of things that Austin wasn't used to seeing, including a rise in violent crimes. I think that is inevitable when it comes to these types of huge events and that's a huge bummer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go9ers View Post
Alot of these stabbings and killings are not as random as you think thats all Im gonna say, thats not to say that stray bullets havent killed someone on crowd before because that is a tragedy
Yeah, I know what you mean. This gang was certainly already jumping one particular person... perhaps from another gangmember?? Idk. But when these guys came to stop them, one of them was unlucky and I also think he was a bit intoxicated because his friend was there and was crying for him. He was a little drunk too. So that in itself might have caused him to misjudge protecting the guy. I still feel so bad for the guy.... I can't stop thinking about it.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:55 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Stupid **** like this is exactly why I stay the hell out from SF during festivals that attract a lot of out-of-towners... with the surge of tourists comes a surge of equal opportunists. Better not to make yourself an opportunity by skipping the festival than to depend on your ability to duck and defend yourself.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:34 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Stupid **** like this is exactly why I stay the hell out from SF during festivals that attract a lot of out-of-towners... with the surge of tourists comes a surge of equal opportunists. Better not to make yourself an opportunity by skipping the festival than to depend on your ability to duck and defend yourself.
To be fair, Oakland has had its moments with their own gatherings.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:16 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
haha I initially read this thread title as " Man beating off on Market street"- which wouldn't have been surprising in the least

Old 06-29-2011, 01:37 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
haha I initially read this thread title as " Man beating off on Market street"- which wouldn't have been surprising in the least

Hahah good one

Old 06-29-2011, 01:43 PM

Well I was there for Pride this past weekend, but I didn't see anyone beating off in the streets- not this year anyway

Nothing really surprises me in SF anymore, and that's what makes it such a great city

Old 06-29-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Nothing really surprises me in SF anymore, and that's what makes it such a great city
i agree that this is a great city... but never would i include its crime as a reason for it being a great city. that is ridiculous. had you seen this guys face the way i saw it, thinking "boy this is a great city" should be the last thing that comes to your mind.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:08 PM

i've seen fights in lots of places. i think the people doing the fighting are what's ridiculous, not the cities themselves.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
i've seen fights in lots of places. i think the people doing the fighting are what's ridiculous, not the cities themselves.
yes, that's exactly my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland