U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:59 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,202,016 times

Advertisements

http://oaklandnorth.net/wp-content/u.../06/blurry.jpg

---4 excepts from the report---

“It’s black, it’s big, it has spikes on its head and its tongue sticks out,” says Dr. Richard Bailey, local expert on the rumored Lake Merritt monster and executive director of the Lake Merritt Institute, a non-profit dedicated to cleaning the lake. “It’s got typical round monster humps.”
According to Dr. Bailey, who has a masters degree in zoology and a doctorate in natural resources, sightings of this Lake Merritt monster, which he fondly refers to as the “Oak-ness monster,” have become more frequent in the past five years.

Various recent reports from people who insist they have seen the beast say that sightings begin with a slow roiling bubble on the surface of the lake. Then what appears to be a dragon’s head attached to an eel-like body with undulating humps emerges. It may stay aloft for several seconds and then will bubble back down, vanishing into the inky water.

Alvarado described the monster as about 8 feet long and said that it doesn’t surface often; it’s something you’d be lucky to see

Cryptozoology is a touchy field of study, and scientists like Dr. Bailey have their work cut out for them in attempting to not only prove to a skeptical public that the monster actually exists, but in explaining how it got into the lake. Dr. Bailey says he’s consulted with experts, including someone he claims is a retired UC Berkeley geologist named Dr. Kenneth Spelunker who believes the monster could be an abominable reptile that crawled through an open fissure at the bottom of the lake.
“He thinks that climate change may have opened a crevice under the lake,” says Dr. Bailey, “and this thing may have swum in after that.” (For the record, there is no account of Dr. Spelunker outside of the Lake Merritt Institute’s own newsletters, which only adds to his mystery.)

IS THERE A MONSTER IN LAKE MERRITT? SCIENTIST SAYS YES! – Oakland North : North Oakland News, Food, Art and Events

Last edited by Stephen1110; 06-30-2011 at 12:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 11:09 PM

12,347 posts, read 20,952,977 times
A geologist named Spelunker! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I'm not going to look it up, but I don't thing Merritt is a natural lake.... and I don't think anything natural feeds it, so there is no way in or out for a creature. So what the Oakness monster is -- I have no idea, but I do like the idea of it....

Old 06-29-2011, 11:47 PM

It's possible.

1. The depth of Lake Merritt varies upon how much water is allowed to filter in from the Estuary.
On average, the depth is 8 -10 ft.

2. There's an abundance of food sources: fish, bat rays, crabs,turtles, birds, shrimp etc.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:28 PM

295 posts, read 400,175 times
Its not a lake really. Its a tidal lagoon. Its fed by a number of creeks running down from the hills and salt water entering from the bay through the Merrit channel.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:57 AM

9,197 posts, read 14,342,749 times
If it's there, it better stay underwater until they clean up that massive deisel fuel spill on the surface.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:55 AM

It rarely surfaces, according to observations

Old 07-01-2011, 05:35 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,342,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
It rarely surfaces, according to observations
And only when viewer is alone, and phone batteries mysterious run out before shooting film or snapping photos, but swears up and down it's real.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
And only when viewer is alone, and phone batteries mysterious run out before shooting film or snapping photos, but swears up and down it's real.
Facts leave no room for possibilities.
It's not a fact that the creature rarely surfaces, but that leaves the possibility.

It is possible that the creature rarely surfaces. Thus, it is possible that in those rare moments, only those that observe, perceive the creature.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:15 AM

178 posts, read 372,921 times
From looking at the photo? I got the impression that it is just a piece of wood. (Making up the "head") That somebody once had tied a rope too. Maybe to secure a boat to the shore. And that various moss and pond weed had then attached to the rope. (Forming the "body") But then I found the video from which this still shot was taken from. Else where on the web. And can say from that. Its definitely man made. And probability attached to some kind of device to make it rise and lower into the water. My own conclusion? Probability some kind of advertizing gimmick or a hoax. Am leaning towards the former. Since what I saw in the video would have taken some mechanical know how to accomplish.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:17 AM

33,068 posts, read 56,448,116 times
If this creates a buzz that will attract tourists who will spend money on lunch, souveniers and leave with a better impression of Oakland than they had before, than I believe. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland