Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 11:57 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times

Advertisements

San Rafael
Santa Clara
Sunnyvale
Concord
Hayward
Newark
Antioch
San Leandro
Daly City
San Mateo

What makes each desirable?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 12:34 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
San Rafael - Yes
Santa Clara - Yes
Sunnyvale - Yes
Concord - No
Hayward - No
Newark - No
Antioch - No
San Leandro - No
Daly City - No
San Mateo - Yes

Old 07-14-2011, 01:32 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
San Rafael - Yes
Santa Clara - Yes
Sunnyvale - Yes
Concord - No
Hayward - No
Newark - No
Antioch - No
San Leandro - No
Daly City - No
San Mateo - Yes
Yes this is the popular perception but I spent the whole day out in Concord today along Clayton Road and it seems pretty idyllic to me. Actually quite beautiful the closer you get to Clayton, especially right below Mt Diablo.

I would prefer that area to anywhere in Sunnyvale or Santa Clara.

Hayward and San Leandro also have really nice areas in city limits too.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:40 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
It was a generalization, nearly all cities that are considered "undesirable" in the Bay Area will have some nice parts, some more than others. I think back to that thread that asked if they were any cities in the Bay Area that were pretty much all crap/ghetto, EPA was the only one that came to mind. Honestly, I am not very familiar with Sunnyvale or Santa Clara so who knows. I do know what you mean about Concord though and the Clayton Rd area, good value for your money there I presume.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:00 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,149,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
San Rafael - Yes
Santa Clara - Yes
Sunnyvale - Yes
Concord - No
Hayward - No
Newark - No
Antioch - No
San Leandro - No
Daly City - No
San Mateo - Yes
Sunnyvale and San Mateo are _mostly_ (but not completely) desirable (parts along the 101 are not), and Santa Clara is mostly undesirable (areas near the border with Cupertino are more or less OK, but the rest of the city is in the same league as Daly City or San Jose).

Old 07-14-2011, 10:19 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
It all depends on your definition. For example, I'd remove Sunnyvale because it is pretty generic. In my book it isn't really different than Newark, it just has better rated schools.

San Leandro has a really cute downtown area, it isn't my favorite, but it is way above Hayward.

This list is missing areas like Livermore, Castro Valley and El Cerrito. It is a pretty random list -- there is no consistency in home price, neighborhood character, location or anything.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:20 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Yeah, Concord's a mixed bag, but definitely nice pockets:

Old 07-14-2011, 11:05 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Sunnyvale and San Mateo are _mostly_ (but not completely) desirable (parts along the 101 are not), and Santa Clara is mostly undesirable (areas near the border with Cupertino are more or less OK, but the rest of the city is in the same league as Daly City or San Jose).

This is not very good information. Santa Clara actually has far more nice areas than crappy areas and the nicest areas aren't even the ones near Cupertino. I used to live in Santa Clara about two minutes away from the Cupertino border and it wasn't nearly as nice as other parts of Santa Clara. Some of the nicer parts are actually near the border of west SJ where the Rose Garden neighborhood of SJ is.

And speaking of San Jose, I would hardly call it undesirable. It covers lots of land and has many areas that are just as nice or even nicer than some so-called desirable cities. Put it in perspective. The Almaden Valley area of San Jose directly borders Los Gatos. There are neighborhoods in Almaden that are nicer than some Los Gatos neighborhoods...yet all of Los Gatos is considered desirable and San Jose is not? People get hung up on prestigious titles that tend to come with certain cities/towns even if they're not accurate. I've found that many people on this board have no clue that San Jose actually has many desirable and upscale neighborhoods within its city limits.

Anyways, back to the list...

San Rafael- yes
Santa Clara- yes
Sunnyvale- yes
Concord- mostly yes
Hayward- mostly no
Newark- mostly no (although I currently live in Newark in The Lake neighborhood and find it to be very nice...the rest of town is pretty crappy though)
Antioch- no
San Leandro- mostly no
Daly City- mostly no
San Mateo- yes

Old 07-14-2011, 12:47 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
I agree that Santa Clara seems mostly nice to me.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:20 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,149,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
This is not very good information. Santa Clara actually has far more nice areas than crappy areas and the nicest areas aren't even the ones near Cupertino. I used to live in Santa Clara about two minutes away from the Cupertino border and it wasn't nearly as nice as other parts of Santa Clara. Some of the nicer parts are actually near the border of west SJ where the Rose Garden neighborhood of SJ is.

And speaking of San Jose, I would hardly call it undesirable. It covers lots of land and has many areas that are just as nice or even nicer than some so-called desirable cities. Put it in perspective. The Almaden Valley area of San Jose directly borders Los Gatos. There are neighborhoods in Almaden that are nicer than some Los Gatos neighborhoods...yet all of Los Gatos is considered desirable and San Jose is not? People get hung up on prestigious titles that tend to come with certain cities/towns even if they're not accurate. I've found that many people on this board have no clue that San Jose actually has many desirable and upscale neighborhoods within its city limits.
Well, I certainly wouldn't say that Santa Clara is a ghetto, it's just not considered "prime real estate". A typical postwar 3/2 would cost somewhere upwards of 800K in "desirable" areas nearby, like Cupertino, but in much of Santa Clara it will cost 500K or less.

Likewise, from the original list, Daly City is not a ghetto, but it's not prime real estate either. The only truly crappy places in the list are parts of Newark, parts of Hayward, parts of Concord, most of San Leandro, and most of Antioch.

San Jose has some desirable neighborhoods, but those are exceptions.

Last edited by esmith143; 07-14-2011 at 02:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland