Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:06 PM

881 posts, read 1,814,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAve2OakLand View Post
Do any of these places offer all-you-can-eat sushi for a fixed price?

We have a few back here, and it's a great way to satisfy your sushi cravings without running up a huge tab...
Not the ones listed by posters here...all-you-can-eat and good quality sushi do not go hand in hand. (Though that depends of how much of a sushi fan one is..I am sure most of the all you can eat places are fine for casual sushi eaters).

Real sushi chefs have to train for years in Japan, and they take a lot of pride in their work and they source their ingredients very carefully. Some of the better sushi restaurants offer a Omakase menu for a set price (not necessary cheap though).

But here is a list of all you can eat places:
Feed the Beast: SF All-You-Can-Eat Sushi Buffets | Metrowize.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 12:41 PM

310 posts, read 651,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
Not the ones listed by posters here...all-you-can-eat and good quality sushi do not go hand in hand. (Though that depends of how much of a sushi fan one is..I am sure most of the all you can eat places are fine for casual sushi eaters).

Real sushi chefs have to train for years in Japan, and they take a lot of pride in their work and they source their ingredients very carefully. Some of the better sushi restaurants offer a Omakase menu for a set price (not necessary cheap though).

But here is a list of all you can eat places:
Feed the Beast: SF All-You-Can-Eat Sushi Buffets | Metrowize.com
Thanks for the link, gnomatic...good info. And I do apologize (I think) for slumming up this "good sushi" thread with my query. But hey, life is full of tradeoffs, right? As you imply, yes, I would consider myself more of a causal sushi eater at this time, and not a full-blown connaisseur...but maybe a move to the Bay Area would change that.

Just as the author of the linked article admits, I also have a voracious appetite for sushi at times, and can easily run up a monstrous tab in a non-AYCE setting. Along those lines...maybe because I feel like I need the company now...from the article:

"Hello, my name is Erik and I am a Sushi Addict.” I’ve often thought that if there was a Sushi Anonymous help group for people with an addiction to sushi I would probably be one of the charter members. It’s not easy being hooked on hamachi. My affliction with albacore, this need for nigiri, has often lead me into wallet breaking benders of sea urchin, eel, shrimp and all sorts of raw oceanic delights. Sushi is an expensive habit and I can rarely satisfy my Godzilla like cravings, so when the urge is too monstrous and I have the need to feed, I hit the All You Can Eat Sushi buffets. For a city that has over 200 sushi restaurants, these havens for sushi degenerates are surprisingly hard to find. Leave it to an addict to sniff out the goods though. Here are a few All You Can Eat Sushi Buffets in San Francisco."

Sincerely,
an occassional "sushi degenerate"

Old 07-22-2011, 01:14 PM

881 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAve2OakLand View Post
Thanks for the link, gnomatic...good info. And I do apologize (I think) for slumming up this "good sushi" thread with my query.
an occassional "sushi degenerate"
Nah, you are not slumming it. It's just the OP is living in Japan, and seem pretty serious about the stuff. Without knowing a persons' sushi taste, it's hard to tell if SF's sushi scene can satisfy them.

My mom & brother are both sushi degenerates. Let's just say, I wouldn't want to get between them and a plate of sashimi.When I am paying for a sushi dinner, I darn well choose an all-you-can-eat, else it would cost me a fortune...those two could REALLY pack it in. I am not much of a fish sashimi fan (I am love raw abalone, geoduck though..but they are pretty hard to find) myself..so all-you-can-eat sushi joint isn't much of a cost saving for me.

My brother was a pretty casual sushi degenerate, until we went to Japan with friends. I send them off to a very well known sushi bar next to the main fish market (I went an had the most AMAZING boil of tonkotsu ramen at a roadside stand for $5). For about $40, they got the Omakase menu...something similar runs easily over $100 in LA, NYC. All three of them was "OMG...it's so freaken GOOOOD)...it sort of ruined "regular" sushi for them. But my brother can and will eat an obscene amount at a the AYCE joints.

There are a couple of good places over in San Mateo (or around there on the Peninsula). And there are definitely bigger all-you-can-eat sushi places down in the south bay.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:06 AM

26 posts, read 69,647 times
The only place my Japanese friends will go is Sushi Sam's in San Mateo. I am a sushi fan and will say that's easily the best I've had in the area. There's also a very good place in Burlingame, Sakae Sushi, but it is "hella pricey" as they might say here.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
There is a great place in Oakland on Piedmont Ave and 41st called Geta. They are mainly pretty authentic, but they do have some CA stuff. It is really really cheap and fresh. They also have a new sister place that has a Robata grill (it is near Piedmont Ave and Pleasant Valley).

Prices at Geta are $3-5 for 8 piece rolls and $2-5 for nigri and there is usually a sashimi mix for around $12. They also have lots of salads and specials and some entrees.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:46 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
^
Ok I'm gonna go there some time soon, this topic made me realize I haven't had sushi in a long time.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:18 PM

310 posts, read 651,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There is a great place in Oakland on Piedmont Ave and 41st called Geta. They are mainly pretty authentic, but they do have some CA stuff. It is really really cheap and fresh. They also have a new sister place that has a Robata grill (it is near Piedmont Ave and Pleasant Valley).

Prices at Geta are $3-5 for 8 piece rolls and $2-5 for nigri and there is usually a sashimi mix for around $12. They also have lots of salads and specials and some entrees.
Noted. Thanks!

2 unagi rolls with wasabi/soy sauce: $8 ... 1 plate of sashimi with a side of edamame: $12 ... 1 individual size sake: $4.50 ...

Good (enough) sushi that doesn't sting the wallet like a jellyfish: priceless.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
The new spot is this one: B-Dama - North Oakland - Oakland, CA.

I walked by the other day. Can't wait to try it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland