Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:03 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

People in SM County seemed, by and large, to be more laid back, less angry and not as apt to blow the horn. However, even there I noticed a more-intense-than-I'm-used-to stuck up demeanor that was prevalent in the way I was treated by a few hotel staff and how customers, particularly female, interacted with some service people. Kinda like, "I'm a $40k millionaire that wears my sunglasses inside, you got it?!" That is NOT my personality at all (I'm nice, polite and "plain-clothed" without being white trash) and am pretty much instantaneously inclined to not even acknowledge those people. That makes me wonder also whether it will be extremely challenging to make friends and good acquaintances or find interesting dates (w/o being so stuck on themselves) while living in the Bay Area.
I think there's enough of a mix of people and transplants to this area that you'll be able to find the friendships you're looking for. We moved here last year from Colorado and we've been able to make a handful of pretty good friends.

Yes. the Peninsula is kind of stuck up and snobby. People devote a lot of time to their careers and trying to get ahead, which means a lot of people are uptight. Those who have already "gotten ahead" probably wouldn't have if they had been easy going, friendly people so it sort of goes with the territory. Then there's a lot of people who have not gotten ahead (yet) and think that they have to conduct themselves in a particular manner in order to do so.

The good thing about the area is that people are polite enough to respect your space. People won't get in your face or anything. They'll leave you to your own business, so you're free to seek out the types of friends you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 03:13 PM

77 posts, read 316,892 times
As soon as I drive or take BART into the city a feel like a new person has to take control. I become a much more aggressive driver, walker, everything. That's just how you get things done in bigger cities. I always tell my boyfriend to be "more aggressive" on BART or in cafes to get tables....because, hey, if you don't, you won't get a seat. That's just how it works in all big cities!
You'll find friends. I think it's something everyone is concerned about. I don't think it's common for someone to move to a new place and not make any friends at all, though.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:43 PM

484 posts, read 822,186 times
Interesting how the same observation keep cropping up from independent sources. Hmmmmm.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:55 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
Interesting how the same observation keep cropping up from independent sources. Hmmmmm.
That's because it's the same observation from the same handful of people saying the same negative things OVER and OVER again. Hmmmmmmm. Don't you get tired of your OWN negativity...oh right...I must've drank the SF kool-aid when I moved here. Right ...the problem is ALWAYS other people.

Try taking some ownership of the problems and negativity with your life instead of blaming everything and everyone else for a change.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:45 PM

310 posts, read 651,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
We moved here last year from Colorado and we've been able to make a handful of pretty good friends.

If I could ask, what part of CO did you move from?

If Denver / Boulder...any impressions (general or specific) you could share about the difference between living there and Bay Area? Obviously, housing and the COL is much higher in the Bay Area, but...beyond that?

TIA! I'm still trying to fine tune my comparions...

Old 07-21-2011, 07:03 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Then there's a lot of people who have not gotten ahead (yet) and think that they have to conduct themselves in a particular manner in order to do so.
One need go no furthur than a review any of hsw's posts as graphic examples of this.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:05 PM

484 posts, read 822,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
That's because it's the same observation from the same handful of people saying the same negative things OVER and OVER again. Hmmmmmmm. Don't you get tired of your OWN negativity...oh right...I must've drank the SF kool-aid when I moved here. Right ...the problem is ALWAYS other people.

Try taking some ownership of the problems and negativity with your life instead of blaming everything and everyone else for a change.
I merely pointed out an interesting fact. Sheesh. Talk about hitting a nerve.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:30 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
I merely pointed out an interesting fact. Sheesh. Talk about hitting a nerve.
No. Always had a low tolerance for whiners and I call people out on their sh*t.
Not a SF bay area people thing either, in case you decide to use that as an example, been this way long before I even plan to move here.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:53 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAve2OakLand View Post
If I could ask, what part of CO did you move from?

If Denver / Boulder...any impressions (general or specific) you could share about the difference between living there and Bay Area? Obviously, housing and the COL is much higher in the Bay Area, but...beyond that?

TIA! I'm still trying to fine tune my comparions...
Hi! Yeah we actually moved from western Colorado (Grand Junction) but I can comment on the Front Range because I know that area pretty well.

Boulder and Denver are different from eachother. Boulder is a kind of hippy town while Denver is a big city with a mix of different kinds of people. Both places are very dry throughout the year, most of the precipitation occurs in the winter which means cold, dry snowy days. There's lots of sunshine throughout the year.

As far as culture and people, the Bay Area has a lot more diversity and a lot more to offer. Denver has less because it doesn't have as many people or as many cultures coming together in one place.

I would say the differences between living here (Bay Area) and on the Front Range of Colorado are:
  • faster paced here
  • milder weather here
  • more variety of things to do here
  • more international cultures here
  • Bay Area is less isolated (Denver is a long ways from other big cities)
  • more job opportunities in the Bay Area

Old 07-26-2011, 09:24 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Thanks to everybody that provided input.

This thread does make me feel better about the move out there. Basically, I need to dig in, suck it up and not view it as turning "lemons into lemonade."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland