U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-27-2011, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,316 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I am a single 28-year old relocating to the west coast for work. I will be working Foster City and am looking for any recommendations on where I can start my apartment search.

I will have a car, so commuting isn't a concern, however I don't want too much of a commute (no more than 45 mins).

I have been told San Fran is the place to be. Lots to do - shopping, the arts, community events, exploring, etc. Would you agree, is this true? If so, where are some areas that you would recommend someone of my age/status live?

If not, are there smaller cities outside of San Fran that have a "young" and active community with lots to do in the evenings and on the weekends?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 11:50 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,753,536 times
Nobody here calls it San Fran! Why do people do this? Where did they learn this?

/end rant

SF is urban and urbane and all that but it is expensive and I don't know your budget and it can be a pain in the ass to park there. The Peninsula (San Mateo County) is more suburban. People here have been posting a lot about working and living in the town of San Mateo itself, maybe do some searches and read up on it, it sounds like an alright place, just more suburban.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 PM

7 posts, read 8,593 times
Default Oh please

Really - "nobody calls it San Fran"...give it a break. The Bay Area is expensive, but if your young it could be fun. I grew up in NY and moved out to S.Bay in high school - quite a culture shock to begin with. It will be a little challenging making "real" friends at first, as there are completely different definitions based on where you come from . However, CA people are generally pretty nice, but you will have to not take it personally when someone says "we should get together for..." because this is not an iron clad invite, just a suggestion that can (and probably will be) blown off. When someone gives you an invite with a date, time, and address - that's real. Good luck, SFO is a fun city, and not nearly as dangerous as some of the E.Coast big ones.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 AM

25 posts, read 24,014 times
I grew up in Marin and have lived in SF since 1987 through my 20's, got married and raised a child. I still live here with my 14 year old boy and we both love it. SF is great at any age but especially for young single professionals that work on the Peninsula. The South Bay cities are lovely but more family oriented. I manage an apartment building and many of my current and previous tenants have tried to live near work in cities from Burlingame to San Jose and end up moving to SF.

SF offers a variety of neighborhoods and each has it's own flavor, pluses and minuses so it depends on your more specific criteria. I live in Cow Hollow which happens to be one of the pricier areas but full of young people, close to the Golden Gate bridge, Crissy Field, Presidio so super convenient for my life.

SF is fairly small with a decent transportation system and while traffic can be a pain it's 20 minutes to just about anywhere by car. Yes, parking sucks, is expensive and tickets are outrageous but it's the same in most cities.

If City life is what you want SF is the place to be. It's a much easier city to live in comparatively. You could scope out Burlingame, San Mateo and even further South into Menlo Park or Palo Alto. Palo Alto houses Stanford so you do get some college town feel there and they have great shopping and restaurants. Not sure about night life.

My one bedroom/one bath w/parking units rent for around $1,900 just to give you an idea. I usually rent slightly under market. One thing to keep in mind if you are heading here soon is the rental market is hot. Very competative right now all over the Bay Area so start to cruise Craigs list and give yourself some time. It helps to have a friend you can stay with during your search that may also know the area.

I would be happy to answer more specific questions for you as you get closer. I love talking about SF and have helped many people navigate the landscape as they search for the right hood! Check out my company website for San Francisco neighborhood descriptions.

Good luck! Feel free to email me.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:13 AM

8,778 posts, read 5,721,975 times
If you're young and single then nothing beats living in the City. If you don't want that commute to Foster City every day -- could take up to 45 minutes depending on where you are in the City -- then living closer in Foster City, Redwood Shores, or San Mateo will do. Downtown San Mateo is pretty vibrant (for the Peninsula) so you should be pretty happy.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:47 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,207,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alynnsy View Post

I will have a car, so commuting isn't a concern, however I don't want too much of a commute (no more than 45 mins).
Since you're working in Foster City, this means from San Francisco down to about Mountain view on the "Peninsula" part of the Bay, or Hayward on the East Bay.

Quote:
I have been told San Fran is the place to be. Lots to do - shopping, the arts, community events, exploring, etc. Would you agree, is this true?
Yes. There's a marked difference between the cultural offerings of San Francisco compared to the other towns on the Peninsula. Oakland and Berkeley (East Bay) have a lot of cultural offerings too, but these are too far of a commute for you.

Quote:
If not, are there smaller cities outside of San Fran that have a "young" and active community with lots to do in the evenings and on the weekends?
Most of the towns in the Bay Area have their own downtown/main street area with decent offering of things and you can find a lot of young/active communities throughout the Bay Area. So given your criteria, you would probably be happy enough in places like San Mateo, Mountain View, Palo Alto ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland