U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:34 PM

6,955 posts, read 20,692,649 times

Advertisements

Living here in Texas and today I received a snail mail invoice from the City of Oakland "Notice of Parking Violation" with the infringement date listed as 12/23/2008. Reason "No Park Certain Hrs". Amount due: $179.00

Apparently they obtained my name as the person who leased the car on that date. WTH????? Yep, I did visit Orinda over the holidays in 2008. Parking ticket .... noooo waaaaay! California is scamming me. What happens if I don't pay?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 06:50 PM

57 posts, read 326,580 times
Did you go to Oakland during that visit? If not, write a letter and appeal the parking ticket with proof that the car wasn't illegally parked.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:56 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,805,570 times
I got a failure to re-register a boat trailer I sold in California like 16 years ago.... They insisted on proof. I contacted and attorney and my attorney told them to pound sand. One more reason I am glad not to life in the crappy state. The boat and trailer were sold legitimately, turns out they were trying to soak me for info to get the guy I sold it to so he would pay up. Buncha slime balls.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc888 View Post
Did you go to Oakland during that visit? If not, write a letter and appeal the parking ticket with proof that the car wasn't illegally parked.
How can I prove that?

Old 08-01-2011, 08:03 PM

6,664 posts, read 27,890,884 times
The ticket would have gone to the rental business and they would have paid it.
They then seek restitution from you or your credit card company.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
The ticket would have gone to the rental business and they would have paid it.
They then seek restitution from you or your credit card company.
It says that Hertz rental provided my name as lessee to them "per my agreement to pay all fines"

Old 08-01-2011, 10:52 PM

2,341 posts, read 4,210,348 times
Does it have the street? Prehaps you were in the Oakland hills and thought you were in Orinda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Living here in Texas and today I received a snail mail invoice from the City of Oakland "Notice of Parking Violation" with the infringement date listed as 12/23/2008. Reason "No Park Certain Hrs". Amount due: $179.00

Apparently they obtained my name as the person who leased the car on that date. WTH????? Yep, I did visit Orinda over the holidays in 2008. Parking ticket .... noooo waaaaay! California is scamming me. What happens if I don't pay?

Old 08-02-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Does it have the street? Prehaps you were in the Oakland hills and thought you were in Orinda.

No, just violation, time and date. Even so, never got a ticket while I was there!
This is a set up just to get money from visitors. What happens if I don't pay?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,127,741 times
Quote:
No, just violation, time and date. Even so, never got a ticket while I was there!
Then you'll starting getting collection notices and it'll show up on your credit report.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:35 AM

1,609 posts, read 3,344,786 times
Quote:
Oh good grief, do you think they city has the time to come up with diabolical plans to screw people over?

The car got a ticket, Hertz fingered you as the driver at the time.
Maybe it got blown off the windshield, maybe some kid grabbed it, but a ticket was definitely issued. Those things are timestamped and numbered, they can prove that it was issued where and when they say it was.

What can you do? Throw yourself on their mercy. Write to the address listed, explain the situation, ask for nicely for relief. DON'T cop an attitude or bad snippy with them, you want to make friends not enemies of the people who can help you out.

If you ignore it, it ends up on your credit report sooner or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland