Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:23 AM

43 posts, read 107,361 times

Advertisements

East Bay:
Commis (newest, maybe only, Michelin star in the Oakland I believe)
Camino
Chez Panisse
Pizzaiolo
Bay Wolf

SF:
Gary Danko
Masa
Town Hall (on the loud side)
Ritz Carlton Dining Room
Coi
Slanted Door

Peninsula:
Alexander's Steakhouse
Koi Palace Daly City (dim sum)

Cheaper places to eat for foodies in the East Bay:
Zachary's Pizza
Bakesale Betty
Fenton's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 11:26 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Ok now I feel bad about the commoner comment.

If your headed to Gold country stop by the Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory Warehouse in French Camp California for the same great delicious chocolate deserts without the tourists at Ghirardelli Square. It's on I-5 out in the middle of Farm Country.

HWY 120 out of the Bay Area heading to Yosemite. Take the North Main Street Exit to the corner of Moffet and Main. The best Taco Stand tacos are in Manteca Ca. at La Costa Taqueria. They serve up all the meats and seafood- lengua, birrieria, carnitas, asada, pescado, camarones.

Their Campechana and Ceviche/Mixta tostadas are to die for. I drive 40 miles round trip at least once a week for their food.

Casual sidewalk dining at its best.

I will pop in with some more as I think about them. The Bay Area foodies can handle SF.

Taqueria La Costa - Manteca, CA

Ghirardelli Factory Outlet - Lathrop, CA

Old 08-09-2011, 11:44 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Ok now I feel bad about the commoner comment.

If your headed to Gold country stop by the Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory Warehouse in French Camp California for the same great delicious chocolate deserts without the tourists at Ghirardelli Square. It's on I-5 out in the middle of Farm Country.

HWY 120 out of the Bay Area heading to Yosemite. Take the North Main Street Exit to the corner of Moffet and Main. The best Taco Stand tacos are in Manteca Ca. at La Costa Taqueria. They serve up all the meats and seafood- lengua, birrieria, carnitas, asada, pescado, camarones.

Their Campechana and Ceviche/Mixta tostadas are to die for. I drive 40 miles round trip at least once a week for their food.

Casual sidewalk dining at its best.

I will pop in with some more as I think about them. The Bay Area foodies can handle SF.

Taqueria La Costa - Manteca, CA

Ghirardelli Factory Outlet - Lathrop, CA
That's OK, I forgive you ! We Aristocratic Grandees of the world can be magnanimous ! "Nobless Oblige" and all that Jazz Darling !

I must try that taqueria, Ceviche is food of the Gods, I could live off the stuff....
And don't get me started on Carnitas... My goodness , why did Pigs have to be so tasty AND cute ?!?

I think you mentioned Basque food before ( ???) , is there anywhere doing good Basque food anywhere from Big Sur to Mendocino, via Yosemite, and Gold Country ? I just adore it. I have yet to meet a Basque dish I did not love !

Old 08-09-2011, 02:55 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
The only restaurants I go to are in the Potrero Hill neighborhood and I wouldn't recommend them because they're not special or outstanding.

The only other restaurant I've been to is "Dosa" - an East Indian restaurant on Valencia Street - and I can recommend it a lot because it's really good.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:11 PM

484 posts, read 822,265 times
I recently went to Uva Enoteca on Haight Street and really enjoyed it. It's Italian with a California feel. The food is very fresh, simply prepared, and very flavorful. Very reasonably priced and our server was quite charming.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Daaahling, based on your previous posts the Basque food we have around here would only leave you feeling that you ate at another American steak house. When you are able to visit Basque country such as you have, then your tastes can be a little jaded. So no you would have to go to Bakersfield or Reno to get halfway decent American Basque food which is only similar to Basque food from the home country

Sorry.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Daaahling, based on your previous posts the Basque food we have around here would only leave you feeling that you ate at another American steak house. When you are able to visit Basque country such as you have, then your tastes can be a little jaded. So no you would have to go to Bakersfield or Reno to get halfway decent American Basque food which is only similar to Basque food from the home country

Sorry.
Never mind Daaahling ! Mwah, Mwah ! Basque food deserves far more recognition than it gets. Even this Grandee has to agree that those lowly fishermen and shepherds know their stuff !!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:18 AM

8 posts, read 10,256 times
If you love Japanese, try Kirala in Berkeley, we ate there last Friday night, and it was fantastic (and I have eaten at Tetsuya's in Sydney ... once). Plus not toooooo expensive: $40 per head including wine. Not cheap either ...

Amber in SF has good contemporary Indian cuisine.

Thanks for starting this thread, btw, I recently move to the Bay Area from Australia, and now I have a list of places to try out.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Far Away View Post
If you love Japanese, try Kirala in Berkeley, we ate there last Friday night, and it was fantastic (and I have eaten at Tetsuya's in Sydney ... once). Plus not toooooo expensive: $40 per head including wine. Not cheap either ...

Amber in SF has good contemporary Indian cuisine.

Thanks for starting this thread, btw, I recently move to the Bay Area from Australia, and now I have a list of places to try out.
Australia is one of the few countries I have not been to and I am told Sydney in particular has got some of the very best food in the world so I would love to put it on my itinerary sometimes. It seems you invented Fusion cooking and made it something sublime... I suppose like the US, it is because of this wonderful mix of cultures and people , all bringing something to the common "pot".

I think you'll love the Bay Area, it is one of the places I just love coming back to and one day I hope I can get to spend at least a couple of years there. Enjoy , I am green with envy.

For the moment I shall have to be satisfied with a month every so often .

Old 08-10-2011, 10:55 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Ippuku in Berkeley
Flora in Oakland
Dead Fish in Crockett
Fondue Cowboy in SF

all good and vastly underrated imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland