Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 05:20 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times

Advertisements

Whenever anyone posts anything about Hayward, there is a ton of negatives for the city. No, I don't live (anymore) or work there (anymore), but I went to high school there and worked there at one time. I found it no worse or better then most of the East Bay and, in fact, across the bay.

So, why the hate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 05:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
I wouldn't say I hate Hayward... however, after several bad experiences with the city regarding rental property, I decided to no longer manage rentals in Hayward.

Hayward came up with a peculiar ordinance where the city will send an inspector to each and every rental, demand entry under penalty of law whether the tenant or owner object and then bill for the "Visit" if a deficiency is found...

The ordinance originated in 1989 and the city has lost several times in Court... the city continues to fight each loss and has stated it will take the case to the Supreme Court if necessary.

http://www.rhosource.com/tellrho.htm

The last straw was when the owner was required to repair a fence 100% on the adjacent property... the inspector went to the fence and shook it and said the posts are weak... mind you, not a board out of place or any indication of a lean... the inspector said since the 5' redwood fence could fail in a windstorm and impact the rental... the owner of a rental had to remedy the problem...

Thankfully, the 80 year old neighbor, who had built the fence allowed the repairs to be made at my owner's expense...

I've managed property for 30 years and Hayward is the only city that uses such heavy handed tactics...

http://www.ci.hayward.ca.us/municipal/HMCWEB/ResidentialRentalInspections.pdf (broken link)

On a fiscal matter, the city spent an enormous amount to build a new city hall on Mission Blvd to consolidate city services only later to abandon it and move to temporary quarters near Industrial Blvd and later spent enormous funds to build a new complex downtown...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-12-2011 at 06:04 PM..

Old 08-13-2011, 05:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
I spent 5 years working in Hayward and several of my co-workers grew up there. There isn't really anything distinctive or extraordinary there, so it is really easy to just bypass it altogether.

It doesn't meet most of my hot buttons for a great place to live: walkable, lots of amenities, good restaurants. Transit is ranges from average to mediocre. So it basically loses points at every turn for me. The schools aren't great, lots of crime in many parts of Hayward, traffic in and around Hayward is ridiculous. Obviously there are worst places to live, but I think there are way better places available.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:26 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,659 times
Hayward is just one of those places that almost feels dead. To understand that, just drive the stretch of Mission Blvd. through town and you can see it clearly. You can see all sorts of shells of former businesses that once thrived. I honestly feel like parts of the city are almost a ghost town.

My father-in-law and also my wife's grandfather grew up in Hayward and say that it was completely different many years ago. It used to be a more up and coming city with lots of untapped potential. My wife's grandfather actually moved to Fremont to buy a cheaper house. He says that in the 40's-50's Fremont was actually the less desirable place to live. He originally planned to move back to Hayward after living in Fremont for awhile and if you ask him now, he says you couldn't pay him enough to move back to Hayward.

Hayward really just isn't very nice. It's big enough that there are nice places to live in the city, but overall it's a run-down city with a weakening tax base due to the loss of much of its industry through the years.

Hayward has a lot of big city types of crime and quality of life issues but none of the big city perks that come with that.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:33 PM

117 posts, read 175,741 times
hayward for the most part just feels... dirty

and i agree with the mission blvd statement... once you drive north past industrial, it just goes completely to the dumps

::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland