Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 05:40 PM

6 posts, read 25,219 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. We think to apply to rent a apartment near Gordon Street in Woodside(west of El Camino). I am wondering, this area is safe day and night time? Because I asked couple of people and they said different things about that . Thank you for your helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 08:24 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
I know we have some Redwood City experts on here who will undoubtedly give you great advice so I'll just share with you my opinion based on my experience in that area.

I find it to be very nice generally speaking. It is neat and tidy and appears to be safe--but this is a large metro region so there may be problem areas nearby and crime can occur anywhere so its good to apply standard street smarts(no need to be preoccupied tho) but other than that, you should be fine.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:11 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Yeah that area's fine. The apartments right next to and right around woodside can be somewhat iffy and woodside rd gets deserted at night, but that definitely is not a problem area.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:44 AM

Thank you for your answers.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:13 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
The area is OK. Woodside Rd has shopping areas, restaurants, etc. There's a Safeway store and Starbucks near Gordon and Woodside Rd. - easy walk from your apt.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:21 PM

I have one more question . I am gonna ride a bike from train station at night times around 12:00 am. Which route should I use to stay out from any trouble?

Old 08-10-2011, 06:03 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahlok View Post
I have one more question . I am gonna ride a bike from train station at night times around 12:00 am. Which route should I use to stay out from any trouble?
The train station is near Jefferson and El Camino behind the Sequoia Station shopping center. I would probably ride west on Jefferson and then south on Hudson towards Woodside Rd. Avoid El Camino Real - a 4 lane highway with sometimes fast traffic - as much as possible. No guarantee this will be safe at midnight. East of the train tracks, there is a minority neighborhood and at midnight, there are sometimes folks carousing around at that hour.

BTW, there is also bus service in the area called Samtrans. Don't know how late it runs. www.samtrans.com

Old 08-10-2011, 06:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
My brother used to live on Gordon until he saw the light and joined us in the Sierra foothills. He never complained about the neighborhood. Stay on El Camino as far as you can before you head up to where ever you live. Not so much traffic at midnight as during the day.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:08 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
The train station is near Jefferson and El Camino behind the Sequoia Station shopping center. I would probably ride west on Jefferson and then south on Hudson towards Woodside Rd. Avoid El Camino Real - a 4 lane highway with sometimes fast traffic - as much as possible. No guarantee this will be safe at midnight. East of the train tracks, there is a minority neighborhood and at midnight, there are sometimes folks carousing around at that hour.

BTW, there is also bus service in the area called Samtrans. Don't know how late it runs. www.samtrans.com

Samtrans doesn't run worth a damn at night.

Like humboldtrat said, the best way to go would be down jefferson and then up Hudson. Jefferson is also a main street however so there's still a lot of traffic until you get to Hudson. The area North of Hudson between Jefferson and Roosevelt St (though not Jefferson itself) can also be iffy at night, particularly around Vera Avenue. I wouldn't detour off of Jefferson before you reach Hudson.

EDIT: By "minority" neighborhood Humboldtrat means the area known as Little Mexico/East Redwood City. However, it's somewhat of a misnomer to call it that in comparison to the rest of the city... there are no shortage of latinos west of El Camino, including in your neighborhood. There are also some Tongans and Samoans.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:59 AM

Thank you for your helps guys. As you said, unfortunately Samtrans doesn't run on night times in those area. I already checked. Thank you for your all advices. Probably we are gonna sign a contract tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland