U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 10:38 AM

653 posts, read 712,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zezt View Post
Furthermore, 70k is a nice easy number to explain, instead of my actual salary which is 50k base + 20k "PRP". 50% of my PRP is dependent on the company making sales targets which it has not made once this year. POOF! Add to that my PRP is taxed at a higher rate the numbers aren't so 'easy' and flat as to say 'oh 70k at 35% tax rate'.
Your actual base salary is 50K, yet you made a budget and spend money based on the POSSIBILITY of an additional 20K PRP? Your salary didn't go "poof", you never HAD the 20K. Don't spend money you don't have.
You overpaid for an apartment, bought a car that was beyond your means with a loan, bought stuff on your CC and not pay it off completely monthly. You spend your money on "WANTS" not "NEEDS".

You need to go over to the frugality & personal finance forum... you need some SERIOUS lessons how how to budget properly.

Get a prepaid cell, dump the fancy data plan. Dump the cable. Negotiate a package deal to reduce the cost.

Are you running the A/C 24 hrs AND growing weed in your apartment? How big is your place that you have a $240/month electricity bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 10:46 AM

331 posts, read 358,751 times
Quote:
This is largely correct (cell=$130, electricity=$150/mo avg, last was $270 which was a shock but has been corrected). The beginning of the month is my Rent, Car and CC payments, their sum exceeds my paycheck which means my paycheck prior has to have enough to last from the 15th of the month to the 15th of the next month. When I get an unexpected bill like the electricity it buts a real damper on my budget which already has slim margins.

I have taken steps to get these moved over so my Car payment at least is moved to the latter half of the month.

Furthermore, 70k is a nice easy number to explain, instead of my actual salary which is 50k base + 20k "PRP". 50% of my PRP is dependent on the company making sales targets which it has not made once this year. POOF! Add to that my PRP is taxed at a higher rate the numbers aren't so 'easy' and flat as to say 'oh 70k at 35% tax rate'.

I cannot sell my car currently; unless you know something I don't you can't sell a car thats worth less than the outstanding loan amount (I've tried). Adding to that, I do need it for where I live primarily for groceries. This is why I want to move to an area where it's not necessary to have to drive 11 miles to the grocery store.

The cycle of having to have enough money from the 15th to the 15th is what's made it hard, even after changing the billing cycle for some of my bills (such as cell, internet and one of my cc's) I haven't managed to get level yet. That should happen by the end of this month, it just hasn't been possible before.
If you are truly running out of money each month a $130/month cell phone bill is way too high. You could easily find a $50/month plan.

Also, keep in mind if you find a place in SF your electric bill would go way down as you won't ever need to run the A/C.

I've said this before but after moving to SF from Phoenix, my total monthly expenses are almost exactly the same. A lot of people back in AZ have a hard time believing it, but even with the big increase in rent, once you ditch the car payment/insurance/gas/repairs, and the high electric bills it ends up evening out.

As one other person noted, however, "discretionary" spending can quickly spiral out of control in SF if you're not disciplined....so many things to do, good restaurants, and fun bars that its tempting to want to go out every night.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:33 AM

5,245 posts, read 6,564,178 times
$130 for a cell phone? Yeah, ditch that, you can't eat an iphone. And I would consider your income to be 50k not 70k if you aren't earning the nonexistant 20k bonus.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:36 AM

16 posts, read 24,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
$130 for a cell phone? Yeah, ditch that, you can't eat an iphone. And I would consider your income to be 50k not 70k if you aren't earning the nonexistant 20k bonus.
Can't. It's a requirement for work. The cost of the plan is necessary to not incur overages.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
Your actual base salary is 50K, yet you made a budget and spend money based on the POSSIBILITY of an additional 20K PRP? Your salary didn't go "poof", you never HAD the 20K. Don't spend money you don't have.
You overpaid for an apartment, bought a car that was beyond your means with a loan, bought stuff on your CC and not pay it off completely monthly. You spend your money on "WANTS" not "NEEDS".

You need to go over to the frugality & personal finance forum... you need some SERIOUS lessons how how to budget properly.

Get a prepaid cell, dump the fancy data plan. Dump the cable. Negotiate a package deal to reduce the cost.

Are you running the A/C 24 hrs AND growing weed in your apartment? How big is your place that you have a $240/month electricity bill?
Can't drop the phone. It's a requirement for work.

I don't have cable. I have internet which is a requirement for work.

A/C was running frequently until I discovered the bill. It's been off since. The place is about 750sqft and not terribly efficient (vaulted ceilings?). $150/mo is expected (2 servers, 2 routers, 1 switch, 1 asa).

Old 08-11-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Can't. It's a requirement for work. The cost of the plan is necessary to not incur overages.
Overages for what? Data, voice or text?

T-mobile have unlimited plans starting at $50. AT&T's unlimited plan is $70.

You HAVE To have an iPhone?

Old 08-11-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Can't drop the phone. It's a requirement for work.

I don't have cable. I have internet which is a requirement for work.

A/C was running frequently until I discovered the bill. It's been off since. The place is about 750sqft and not terribly efficient (vaulted ceilings?). $150/mo is expected (2 servers, 2 routers, 1 switch, 1 asa).
Is your work not reimbursing you for your phone & internet if it's a requirement? There usually some corporate discount.

I have a cathedral ceiling top floor condo that size in SJ, the most my bill ever was is $80...that is with me running the electric heating, dryers whenever I wanted.
I designed labs with carrier class routers (million dollars ones), switches and servers ... the kind that AT&T have to run their networks. A home network SHOULD NOT be costing you that much. And why do heck do you have to have 2 routers and a switch in a home network? Do you really need two servers? If it's for work, set it up there, you can remote access to it via a VPN.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:57 AM

5,245 posts, read 6,564,178 times
Yeah if a phone and internet are required for work, they should at least be paying for half of it and there's no reason to pay that much. A friend of mine pays $80 a month for an unlimited iphone plan and about 40% of that is covered by his work.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:00 PM

Should have clarified, yes for minute overages.

The iPhone is a requirement due to internal applications that run on them.

I get to write the expenses off on my taxes but doesn't do me much good until that time.

I am an IPT engineer, the lab is a requirement for lab purposes. Eventually it'll be moved back to Denver but until then it's with me.

Same with the phone, we're finally upgrading our infrastructure so we can use our smartphones for VoIP at which point I'll be downgrading my plan to the 400 minute one.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Should have clarified, yes for minute overages.

The iPhone is a requirement due to internal applications that run on them.

I get to write the expenses off on my taxes but doesn't do me much good until that time.

I am an IPT engineer, the lab is a requirement for lab purposes. Eventually it'll be moved back to Denver but until then it's with me.

Same with the phone, we're finally upgrading our infrastructure so we can use our smartphones for VoIP at which point I'll be downgrading my plan to the 400 minute one.
Port your number over to Google Voice. Do calls on your laptop on wifi. Cancel your iphone plan. Use the apps on wifi on your iphone.

Move the lab to your office in the city. Else charge your company for "renting" space & electricity in your apartment for the lab.

Adjust your W-4 with holdings, since you expense stuff for work. Do it carefully else you will owe the IRS come tax season.

Get a part time job.

Most importantly, revise your budget base on ONLY your base salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland