Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:27 PM

2,535 posts, read 2,734,181 times

Advertisements

My son is starting at SFSU this fall. We are not familiar with the airport or San Francisco area.
We just had a frustrating couple of days with delays and flight cancellations trying to get from Orange County airport to SFO airport due to fog in San Francisco.

For our next trip this month I would like to go into OAK airport. We have orientation at the school on a weekday. I'm concerned about getting to and from OAK airport because of the traffic. I'm wondering what the best route would be? From what I have read the Bay bridge to OAK has heavy traffic in the afternoon. I notice that there is a San Mateo bridge. Would it make sense to drive down to San Mateo after the orientation and take that bridge over to OAK airport?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 06:55 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,073,932 times
The San Mateo Bridge will have traffic too at rush hour. If you need to go at rush hour maybe consider taking BART, which isn't super fast but at least it's pretty predictable--you ride to the Coliseum station then hop on a bus to the airport. Otherwise if you want to drive maybe try to fly out of OAK in the middle of the day, around 3:30pm at the latest.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:01 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,924,654 times
or you could fly into san jose.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:23 PM

295 posts, read 461,196 times
San Jose is considerably farther away than the Oakland airport. your best bet would be to take bart or plan your flight at a non rush hour time and just take the bay bridge. Oakland airport from SFSU is about 15 minutes or so away with no traffic.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:36 PM

3,241 posts, read 6,294,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
My son is starting at SFSU this fall. We are not familiar with the airport or San Francisco area.
We just had a frustrating couple of days with delays and flight cancellations trying to get from Orange County airport to SFO airport due to fog in San Francisco.

For our next trip this month I would like to go into OAK airport. We have orientation at the school on a weekday. I'm concerned about getting to and from OAK airport because of the traffic. I'm wondering what the best route would be? From what I have read the Bay bridge to OAK has heavy traffic in the afternoon. I notice that there is a San Mateo bridge. Would it make sense to drive down to San Mateo after the orientation and take that bridge over to OAK airport?

Any advice would be appreciated.
From your post it looks like you are flying up for a day trip. Take Bart from Oakland Airport to Powell station in SF. At Powell station transfer to the Muni system. You will need a separate $2 ticket for the Muni train. Take the M train directly to SFSU. Do not take the K,L,N or J trains. The M train stops on 19th Ave. across from the school.

BART - Arriving Oakland International Airport (OAK)

On the way back,if you have time,when you transfer back to Bart,you could exit the station and take a look around downtown SF. When you take Bart back to OAK,be sure to get on a Dublin/Pleasanton train or a Fremont train. Do not get on a Richmond train or a Pittsburg train since they do not go to OAK.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:36 PM

308 posts, read 467,013 times
You'll have traffic on either bridge. Make sure your rental car has fast trak and give yourself plenty of extra time. Plan on 60-90 minutes to SFSU and more for parking. You may be better off taking a cab... About 75.00 one way. At least you can relax on the drive. Make sure the cab has fast trak otherwise it will add 20 min to our ride waiting in bridge toll line to pay cash.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:49 AM

2,535 posts, read 2,734,181 times
I don't remember having to pay toll on the Bay Bridge?

Old 07-03-2012, 08:23 AM

106 posts, read 476,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
I don't remember having to pay toll on the Bay Bridge?
You pay the toll going into SF from Oakland but not the other way around. I agree about taking The shuttle bus from OAK airport to Bart, then transferring at downdown and taking the Muni M Oceanview street car, which takes you right in front of SFSU. Good luck!

Old 07-03-2012, 08:55 AM

272 posts, read 322,282 times
Or take BART to Daly City. They have a shuttle to SFSU from there.

Parking & Transportation - San Francisco State University

Old 07-03-2012, 09:49 AM

622 posts, read 1,145,657 times
The bridges here are definitely toll bridges when you're driving into the city. When you're driving out, they're free.

I agree that the best bet is to just fly in, get on BART and then take a shuttle or bus to the school. It's going to take you a bit of time because you'll have to land, get on AirBart (the Oakland shuttle to BART), take the train to Daly City station and get on the 28 or 28L bus or take the train to Civic Center and transfer to the street car. (I'd do the former BTW as that bus leaves frequently, it's a straight shot to SFSU and you don't have to stand in the MUNI platform figuring out which train is which.)

I Googled it and, yep, in August SFO has the worst departure times out of all of them due to fog. Your commute would be so much shorter though if you could go from SFO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland