U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:04 AM

26 posts, read 26,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
What? I've been to San Mateo, in fact I was there at least a week ago, and I saw all kinds of people, probably more white than anything else. Apparently half the city is white. It's not like it's East Oakland or anything.
I shoulda said San Mateo County but either way your right its about 50 percent white 25 percent asian. I dunno I grew up and live in the bottom of SF right next to Daly City so the idea of any asian person asking why there arent asians somewhere in the bay is hilarious but to answer your question Marin Co has always been very very white and rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 01:08 AM

also I dunno where the east oakland comparison came from, and no one would say east oakland is the part of oakland they assocaite with asians so ya lost me but you do have a point, the city of San Mateo is not like DEO

Old 08-17-2011, 10:08 AM

1,342 posts, read 1,685,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I heard the white people in Marin were racist towards asians, thats another reason, maybe they dont want them to move in their area? if your asian and go to a restaurant in Marin , they dont treat you very well

I went to a place called the RED LOBSTER near Hill Top mall, Richmand and they wouldnt even serve us and didnt acknowlege us when we came in, they finally sent a caucasion guy to be our waiter, the blacks didnt want to serve us
Richmond is not in Marin County; it's in Contra Costa County FYI. ;-)

Old 08-17-2011, 10:28 AM

1,497 posts, read 2,449,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Richmond is not in Marin County; it's in Contra Costa County FYI. ;-)
I know that, Im just giving an example of some other areas

Old 08-17-2011, 11:32 AM

159 posts, read 193,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama12 View Post
I shoulda said San Mateo County but either way your right its about 50 percent white 25 percent asian. I dunno I grew up and live in the bottom of SF right next to Daly City so the idea of any asian person asking why there arent asians somewhere in the bay is hilarious but to answer your question Marin Co has always been very very white and rich
Well as I said there aren't many up here in Sonoma County, but I dunno if Sonoma County is even considered Bay Area. Well I guess it is, but it's definitely very different than most of the Bay Area. It's more rural out here and just doesn't have that "Bay" feel.

There are certain neighborhoods where there are larger Asian presence though, like Skyhawk, which is a rich neighborhood and has some Chinese. Roseland and Piner areas have an Asian population, probably less than 10%, but they're mostly lower-income Laotian, Cambodian, Filipino, and Vietnamese that live there. But besides that, there aren't really many. But when I'm at the JC I see plenty... because it's a college, lol

And I don't think all of the Bay Area besides the North Bay contains Asian populations. Those cities like Martinez and Antioch don't have that large of Asian populations. I mean, there are still plenty there, but they're mostly Filipinos and not too many Chinese I believe. There aren't a ton in Concord either I believe, but as I said, it's probably mainly Filipinos there. And isn't Vallejo considered part of the Bay Area? There's a lot of Asians there, but as I said, it's really mainly Filipino and not too many Chinese, Korean, etc.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:13 PM

I think alot of that has to do with how, for lack of better terms or words, how different parts of the Asian community interact with other parts/groups of the Asian community.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:22 PM

4,414 posts, read 4,396,849 times
To understand the present you must have a grasp of the past.

Asians didn't live in Marin due to the fact that for the majority of time the bay has been settled, there were housing covenants.

Nowadays they don't choose to live there due to the fact that Marin residents have a reputation for being elitest, provincial, insular, and segregationist.

The federal government recently accused Marin of violating the 1964 civil rights act. This makes cities like Pleasanton that were busted violating state affordable housing mandates, look honest.

Then again at least Pleasanton types are honest about who they do not want in their community and they make it quite clear.

The people in Marin will tell you about diversity and tolerance and how you need to accept it, until they are blue in the face. Just so long as this diversity and tolerance is not in Marin's back yard.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:11 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,623,591 times
Why are there large numbers of Asians in other upscale communities in the Bay Area? People are herd animals and tend to follow the established path. If, for instance, a number of Asians bought homes in Mill Valley within a decade or two there would be a much larger population of them in that town as word spreads that its "a good place to buy" (check Walnut Creek in Contra Costa County for example - its beginning to happening there).

The same thing has happened to communities outside of California with whites. Towns such as Bend, OR, Sandpoint ID, Coeur d'Alene ID and Prescott AZ have grown rapidly as whites congregate in them. Word of mouth among family and friends fueled much of that growth. Again, its just the way groups of people work. I doubt its anything sinister going on.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:47 PM

7,847 posts, read 9,378,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
It is interesting to say the least. Places like the South Bay (and more recently a number of Peninsula cities) were not always the Asian havens they are now. When I was a kid the largest Asian groups in such areas were descendants of Japanese American farmers (many of which previously lost almost everything due to internment), descendants of the original Chinese immigrants from Guang Dong, more recently arrived Filipinos and Vietnamese and other SE Asian groups fleeing the Indochina War and its aftermath. We were just starting to see the influx of HKers in advance of the hand over and a trickle of Taiwanese (there were nearly no mainlanders). If I had to name one thing, it was probably these last two groups who created the nucleus of what we see now. They, unlike the earlier groups, brought substantial seed money. I think they picked where they picked to invest, and the rest is history. If they had picked the North Bay instead, things would be very different today.
More on the seed money. That seed money was a direct result of the "Asian Tigers" era (1975 - 1990, roughly). There was so much money being made some of it was ripe for going offshore from its origins. Whereas, the earlier groups came over back when Asia was a rather impoverished place net net.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:57 PM

4,414 posts, read 4,396,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Why are there large numbers of Asians in other upscale communities in the Bay Area? People are herd animals and tend to follow the established path. If, for instance, a number of Asians bought homes in Mill Valley within a decade or two there would be a much larger population of them in that town as word spreads that its "a good place to buy" (check Walnut Creek in Contra Costa County for example - its beginning to happening there).

The same thing has happened to communities outside of California with whites. Towns such as Bend, OR, Sandpoint ID, Coeur d'Alene ID and Prescott AZ have grown rapidly as whites congregate in them. Word of mouth among family and friends fueled much of that growth. Again, its just the way groups of people work. I doubt its anything sinister going on.
http://sfist.com/2011/01/07/marin_ge...t_having_a.php

Love it when people try to pretend nothing is going on. "Nothing to see here folks, move along and stay out"

Funny how the other 8 counties in the bay area don't seem to have this issue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland