U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:41 AM

26 posts, read 26,460 times
its all about class for some people......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 AM

52 posts, read 50,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
Santa Rosa isn't what I'd call "very white." There is a huge Mexican population here, and it isn't rural. Santa Rosa has almost 170,000 people living in it, and the size of Santa Rosa is just slightly smaller than San Francisco's. The rest of Sonoma County may be rural I guess.

But Santa Rosa definitely has that "white American" feeling if you know what I mean. There's not a large black population, but I believe Santa Rosa may have a growing black population, including African Americans and African immigrants from Eritrea and stuff. I see more and more blacks in Santa Rosa everyday and some of them come from the East Bay, and are probably happier here because it's more safer and better living, but there's not a lot of jobs here though.
The Asian community is for the most part ethnocentric with what obviously appears like a bias towards living in large urban areas. Not all of course, but the vast majority of Asians would choose to live a larger city like San Francisco et al rather than the face "wilds and "wild people" north of the bay. Of course you will find the customary Asian Restaraunt and Massage Places in any decent sized town up or down the nation. I was struck with with how many of the latter there were from driving through San Rafael and some other smaller cities in the North Bay. Asians will always put their store fronts in any neighborhood regardless of the dominant class there, but choosing where to live is a different equation, excuse the pun, entirely.

From talking with my Asian buddies on this same subject recently, a number of pointers were candidly offered to me.
1. The North Bay cities although small by say SF standards do not offer the same draw and appeal to the large closely knit extended Asian community as any of the other cities like SF, SJ , Oakland etc.
2. Anywhere North of the bridge runs the risk of harboring a pet hate
of of many Asians i.e the ignorant redneck type, and they still remember stories of the abuse handed out to their ancesters by such types in the past.
3. And following that, Asians feel a certain pride in being able to put down their cash and lots of it in most cases for prime properties commanding huge prices in fashionably metro urbane places like SF. Location Location Location.
4. On that pride thing, the choice of where to live is very important and the lure of a large back garden or a few extra acres, though attractive to many white people, does not have that same appeal to asian.
5. And the last comment I heard was that the respectable educated affluent white area is what pushes them to succeed, the prize of reaching the top after all their hard work.

Interesting and makes more sense to me the more I reflect on them. Very frank and candid comments and not coated in political sugarrness

Old 08-26-2011, 04:57 AM

3,025 posts, read 2,263,485 times
All I have to say is my doctor is Asian and she is Beau-ti-ful... What that has to do with anything I have no clue..

Old 08-29-2011, 04:59 PM

2,694 posts, read 1,676,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
As part of my indoctrination that white people are all the same I only eat at Applebee's. Do they have Applebee's?
Yes, though not in Cupertino proper - it's a couple of miles to the east, in San Jose, just off of I-280 on Saratoga Avenue. Of course, it's right next to a big Japanese supermarket - Mitsuwa. Horrors! Just can't get away from all dem Asian people!

If you like ribs, there's a Tony Roma's next door. But why go to a chain when you can find an independent rib joint? There's JC's B-B-Q in a 1950s strip mall down the road. Owned and operated by a Korean family.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:43 PM

7,266 posts, read 4,446,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yes, though not in Cupertino proper - it's a couple of miles to the east, in San Jose, just off of I-280 on Saratoga Avenue. Of course, it's right next to a big Japanese supermarket - Mitsuwa. Horrors! Just can't get away from all dem Asian people!

If you like ribs, there's a Tony Roma's next door. But why go to a chain when you can find an independent rib joint? There's JC's B-B-Q in a 1950s strip mall down the road. Owned and operated by a Korean family.
Japanese supermarkets are okay as we've established that there are, in fact, different subcultures for Asians. Now, if the Applebee's were next to an IKEA, we'd have a very big problem. Actually, one could debate that as the founder was a leader in the Swedish Nazi movement was at one with there being only a single white culture. Then again, he later flip-flopped on the whole Nazism thing. Or maybe he just did that because he wanted to sell Swedish (a type of fish, perhaps?) furniture to Jews (which I suspect are a type of grain farmer, although that does nothing to explain the farmers absurd distrust of Nazi leaders... ) Asian BBQ of the Korean subculture I have enjoyed many times. There's a large population of Korean-type Asians in Rancho Cordova. At least that's what I've been told. I can't actually tell Korean-type Asian from Vietnamese-type Asian. Regardless, I am in agreement. This "JC's B-B-Q" does sound safer than an establishment called Tony Roma's. I here that white people from that part of the world are very confused about there being one white culture. Even in within their own country they say they are this-type or that-type. Blasphemy, I tell you.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:09 AM

2,694 posts, read 1,676,113 times
[quote=Malloric;20663501] Asian BBQ of the Korean subculture I have enjoyed many times. There's a large population of Korean-type Asians in Rancho Cordova. At least that's what I've been told. I can't actually tell Korean-type Asian from Vietnamese-type Asian. Regardless, I am in agreement. This "JC's B-B-Q" does sound safer than an establishment called Tony Roma's./quote]

The JC's BBQ joint serves Southern-style barbeque, like you would find in Texas, Louisiana, or Tennessee. It's not a Korean grilled place.

C'mon, you don't need to get hung up on the Asian thing...the proprietors just happen to be Korean.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:07 PM

2,147 posts, read 2,137,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Marin Gets Slapped For Not Having Any Minorities, Agrees to Find Some: SFist

Love it when people try to pretend nothing is going on. "Nothing to see here folks, move along and stay out"

Funny how the other 8 counties in the bay area don't seem to have this issue...
Um, the OP asked about Sonoma, as well. And I suppose you could add Lake County and maybe Mendocino-but why?

Migration patterns DO happen. And it's not always 'sinister' as someone said.
Why do some people seem to equate 'lack of diversity' with 'bad'? Look around. The entire world is filled with regions that are 'mostly something'---i'll just speak in vague terms b/c this is such a ridiculous topic with the tendency to knee-jerk reactions.

Also, look at overall population demographics, in the bay area, CA and the US as a whole.
This generally will answer some questions about 'racial distribution', which is essentially what people are discussing, while insinuating that w/o said distribution, something 'sinister' is happening.

Anyway, OP is probably better served by googling migration history in the bay area, and chinese migration specifically. Weaverville and Mendocino towns, in trinity and mendo counties, had populations of chinese and temples still standing. And sand point ID had chinese miners, along with italian loggers and miners, as well. In these areas, it was a small group of people who came for a specific reason-to work-and while they set up shops and temporary headquarters, there was nothing to keep them after said boom, be it coal, gold or logging.

Sonoma county is still largely rural and agriculture, as mentioned....so what would have kept small groups of migrants somewhere? and what would have drawn them there to begin with?

Marin has for centuries had a moneyed populace, but it did also have dairy farmers-some of them italian-some who stayed on and handed property down from one generation to the next. Beyond that, Marin's location next to SFO made it an obvious choice for weekend homes and estates for the city's monied folk.

Sonoma county, however, does not have a huge mining or logging past. [It had a couple of hot springs retreats, but not the huge weekend draw that Marin had due to it's location]. It has a more recent wine and agricultural history, accounting for current migration trends there [hispanic]. Whether or not I agree with this or 'like it', it is mere fact.

I mean, I grew up in a small town on the east coast, that was predominantly italian-some of the road lines were painted the colors of the italian flag. By now, the town has grown to 4x the size and is yuppie-fied. Sure, some italians are still there, but not the plethora of restaurants, markets, delis, etc. that once were. Populations change, and so do their service needs. New businesses come in to meet those demands. If the family has been there for generations, they may remain. As often as not, they move on, as well. Such is the US where you often find families only rooted somewhere for a couple of generations, at best.

Last edited by lrmsd; 11-24-2011 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-24-2011, 09:13 PM

2,147 posts, read 2,137,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama12 View Post
its all about class for some people......
Are you saying that 'Asians' are not 'upper class'? Geez-the critical thinking skills are high on this thread! Economic diversity is not the same as racial diversity, though yes, they may overlap and often due. But the OP did not ask her/his question in a 'poor my people, were are so underserved and underresourced' kind of manner. The OP did say it would be nice for Sonoma to have more diversity, not just hispanic.

I'm pretty sure that 'Asians are too poor to live in Marin' LOL LOL LOL
would NOT be a valid answer to the migration/demographic puzzle we're working on here!!!!

Old 11-25-2011, 02:45 PM

495 posts, read 1,224,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
Just wondering, because I've been thinking about it.

-----

So I'm just wondering why Asians rarely ever immigrate up here in comparison to the rest of the Bay Area. This accounts for all types of Asians, like Chinese, Filipino, Vietnamese, etc. I mean there are many immigrants up here, but it's mainly from Mexico and much lesser from other parts of the world. It would just be cooler if it were more diverse but there's nothing I can do about it haha.

Hi CyanideThistles,

I'm not asian. I'm black and grew up in San Francisco, in predominantly asian neighborhoods. From my experience traveling abroad to Asia and from conversations gleaned over the years from friends, I believe one of the reasons may have to do with people of asian heritage having a strong history of family connection and community ties. Although I'm sure there are exceptions, but generally this is the case.

Also no doubt previous racial segregation, housing discrimination (not that far in our distant national past) had an impact on current housing trends. As an example, please consider the forced Japanese-American Internment during WWII. Japanese people who owned property had their property seized. A significant percentage of them lived in the central valley and somona county. Not only that they lost cumulative wealth in the various markets as a result. I'm guessing this particular event in our nation's history had some fall out in other asian communities throughout the Bay Area. In the case of mistaken identity, fear and ignorance which a small handful of my friend's elders shared with me they had in fact, experienced. So I imagine when things starting picking up again for those impacted to varying degrees by racial segregation and discrimination, Marin or Sonoma County were probably not high on the radar as a place to relocate.

Although there may be a lower percentage of asian people in these respective counties, asian people; chinese in particular, own a large percentage of San Francisco's land and property, especially in the Richmond and Sunset Districts. I'm sure this extends to other areas in the Bay, but I'm just speaking of what I've known form experience and don't have the statistics necessarily to back it up. So fast forward to 2011, modern day: I suspect if wealthy asian people wanted to relocate to Marin County or other economically affluent areas, they would. I sense they are now firmly entrenched in other areas of the Bay, decades long. Not unlike other (races) of humans who live in their respective locations in the Bay Area, either voluntarily or involuntarily based on their socio-economic circumstance or personal choice.

Although racism still exists and operates covertly these days for the most part, I believe the majority of individuals who are attracted to or are native Bay Areans are not entirely focused on race and enjoy the diversity of people, thought, education, landscape, opportunity, etc that the SF Bay Area offers. I have lived in Marin, SF, East Bay.. have befriended people from all walks of life here. I don't tend to focus on where races and groups of people are choosing to live so much as who I'm engaging with in general and what is happening in the surrounding environment. To be honest and fair, I grew up middle class so I tend to gravitate to middle class areas period. I don't think asian, black, white, native, latin or any other persons I may have left out are that much different in this regard. As people, we tend tend to move to areas where we feel comfortable and that we can afford. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices and sometimes we don't.

In summary and circling back to your question, I think the primary reason is because Asian people own a substantial amount of property in other parts of the bay area and are smart about maintaining it and their wealth. And they also have established strong communities that seem to offer a great deal of support. This perhaps doesn't make other areas so attractive, even if other people believe said counties are the most desirable places to live. What is one person's paradise may be another person's misery and vice versa. It's all relative and this is just my opinion of course.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:13 AM

622 posts, read 365,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodlvr View Post
Hi CyanideThistles,

I'm not asian. I'm black and grew up in San Francisco, in predominantly asian neighborhoods. From my experience traveling abroad to Asia and from conversations gleaned over the years from friends, I believe one of the reasons may have to do with people of asian heritage having a strong history of family connection and community ties. Although I'm sure there are exceptions, but generally this is the case.
In summary and circling back to your question, I think the primary reason is because Asian people own a substantial amount of property in other parts of the bay area and are smart about maintaining it and their wealth. And they also have established strong communities that seem to offer a great deal of support. This perhaps doesn't make other areas so attractive, even if other people believe said counties are the most desirable places to live. What is one person's paradise may be another person's misery and vice versa. It's all relative and this is just my opinion of course.
^^^this

As soon as I read the OP, I was thinking between the strong community ties that they have in other areas of the SF Bay, the businesses, and the property it just makes more sense to go to those places. I agree with this assessment. I too lived in Asia for a long time and got to see first-hand how things worked in the country and culture I was in.

Marin and Sonoma are nice but it's very difficult moving to a new place with a completely different culture. Asian communities thrive because they band together and it really doesn't make sense for immigrants to run out to Marin where they'll have to deal with some of the mess @iscared describes when they can live in an area where there are many of their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland