Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 12:58 PM

21,866 posts, read 25,129,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Marin Gets Slapped For Not Having Any Minorities, Agrees to Find Some: SFist

Love it when people try to pretend nothing is going on. "Nothing to see here folks, move along and stay out"

Funny how the other 8 counties in the bay area don't seem to have this issue...
I didn't see anything about race. What I did see, however, was a lot of NIMBYism about how Marin has successfully circled the wagons to keep public housing OUT. Good for them. Look at Marin City and then look at the rest of Marin. Diversity and tolerance isn't the same thing as rolling out the red carpet for the parasite class. I'm unashamedly intolerant of the parasite class and criminals.

Asians, as with most societal groups, tend to cluster -- or as you put it, Asians are "insular and segregationist." That's why Strawberry has larger minority population (as a %) than the Marina does.

To put it bluntly, percentage of non-white population is not an evenly remotely good gauge of how "racist" an area is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 01:23 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Diversity and tolerance isn't the same thing as rolling out the red carpet for the parasite class. I'm unashamedly intolerant of the parasite class and criminals.
So when are you going to drive out some Wall Street-style financiers and bankers from your city and county?

Quote:
To put it bluntly, percentage of non-white population is not an evenly remotely good gauge of how "racist" an area is.
However, in many ways, it can be, when the % minority population of a certain city is unusually low or high relative to the overall area or state's population proportion. I'd suggest you read "Sundown Towns" by James Loewen - which is a study about how many municipalities had either unwritten or explicit practices to keep people of color out of their populations.

http://http://sundown.afro.illinois.edu/sundowntowns.php (broken link)

The most notorious example of a sundown town in the Greater Bay Area historically is San Leandro, CA...just next to Oakland. For years, a combination of city governments, real estate agents, and other parties conspired to keep African Americans out of the city until 1971. Brian Copeland, a radio personality, talks about his experiences growing up as one of the first black families in San Leandro in the 1970s, in his show (and book), Not a Genuine Black Man.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:10 PM

I live in a upper working/lower middle-class neighborhood. There are no Wall Street financiers and the only bankers are tellers and low-level officers. I've seen one Asian family in my neighborhood... what there are quite a few of is Hispanics. The Asians live in a different neighborhood about two miles away. Is my neighborhood full of zipper-head hating supremacists because the Asians in the area all chose to live in a neighborhood that is a mix of white and Asian?

Do explain Cupertino for me, please. Under your theory, it's obvious that either the poor segregated Asians are being forced to live there or that the evil segregationist Asians are conspiring to keep the poor down-trodden whites out.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:39 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,664 times
Because it is so very white? I have always thought that the more rural less urbane parts of Ca have always been off limits to the Asian Community. Not their scene for the most part. In their case, one has to be a true blue lover of country life to move there and not just a casual trend following eco friendly type who likes to be seen shopping at whole foods wearing Patagonia or The North Face who has their finger on the pulse of all things eco friendly.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I live in a upper working/lower middle-class neighborhood. There are no Wall Street financiers and the only bankers are tellers and low-level officers. I've seen one Asian family in my neighborhood... what there are quite a few of is Hispanics. The Asians live in a different neighborhood about two miles away. Is my neighborhood full of zipper-head hating supremacists because the Asians in the area all chose to live in a neighborhood that is a mix of white and Asian?

Do explain Cupertino for me, please. Under your theory, it's obvious that either the poor segregated Asians are being forced to live there or that the evil segregationist Asians are conspiring to keep the poor down-trodden whites out.
Number one, I was being facetious - in response to your implied targets of what the "parasite class" you referred to. Could you define who they are?

Number two, Asians are a mix of many ethnicities/cultures as well as socio-economic levels. You'll find working class Asians in neighborhoods which are also mixed Hispanic and African American, say in San Francisco. The Mission is also increasingly Asian. Visitation Valley, which IME has been historically largely African American, has also a growing Asian population. Oakland also has Asians living among other ethnicities.

Cupertino is a different story - it's an upper income area that attracts a higher socioeconomic demographic, and the folks who are moving in tend to be Asian (usually the higher educated ones of Chinese or Indian descent), they come for the schools. At the same token, some Caucasian families may be discouraged by the preponderance of Asian school age children in the schools (roughly 2/3s) and either don't move in, move away, or send their kids to private schools. Yes, Cupertino used to be majority Caucasian, perhaps 20 years ago, it's probably now just over 50% Asian overall, and the school age population is 60-70% Asian. Asian folks don't necessarily move into white neighborhoods only - it depends on whether they can afford it. For example, in San Jose, you have Vietnamese folks living among the Mexicans on the Eastside.

However, none of this disproves the history of Sundown towns in the past. You do have towns in downstate Illinois that are still largely white, like Pekin, Illinois that have excluded nonwhites, and the lasting reputation still discourages people of color from moving in. Now fortunately, San Leandro today is actually one of the most ethnically diverse towns in the area - a far cry from its segregationist history.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:13 PM

I'm confused. And here I thought it was the Asian-American city council, Realtors, and chopstick-wielding shadow figures were weaving intricate conspiracies to keep the white-folk out of Cupertino? Now you're telling me that it's just that some white-folk don't want to live there? Man. That's a boring let down. I will, however, be sure to bring up the fact that all white persons have the same ethnic and cultural backgrounds and belong to the same socio-economic level when we hold our next White's Who Want To Live in Cupertino But Were Kept Down by Chopstick-Conspiracy meeting. It'll be #1 on the agenda followed by the fact that we whites can actually live in Cupertino. Personally, I think that we should start with cuisine don't you? I mean Asians have Chinese and Korean and Sushi and other types of cuisine. I don't know what those means, especially Sushi... I've never met a Sushian. But since whites don't have any of that we should only have one type of food: Applebee's.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 PM

159 posts, read 491,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Because it is so very white? I have always thought that the more rural less urbane parts of Ca have always been off limits to the Asian Community. Not their scene for the most part. In their case, one has to be a true blue lover of country life to move there and not just a casual trend following eco friendly type who likes to be seen shopping at whole foods wearing Patagonia or The North Face who has their finger on the pulse of all things eco friendly.
Santa Rosa isn't what I'd call "very white." There is a huge Mexican population here, and it isn't rural. Santa Rosa has almost 170,000 people living in it, and the size of Santa Rosa is just slightly smaller than San Francisco's. The rest of Sonoma County may be rural I guess.

But Santa Rosa definitely has that "white American" feeling if you know what I mean. There's not a large black population, but I believe Santa Rosa may have a growing black population, including African Americans and African immigrants from Eritrea and stuff. I see more and more blacks in Santa Rosa everyday and some of them come from the East Bay, and are probably happier here because it's more safer and better living, but there's not a lot of jobs here though.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 PM

26 posts, read 60,790 times
Hey if you guys could vacate the Sunset District so it can return to being an Irish neighborhood that would be great...its nothin personal and I love the orange chicken but theres other places that dont have any asians like you have mentioned and I dont like being lumped together with all white people when yall see me on the street so that way we all get what we want! I think we can all agree that SF is hella hella asian and giving up one neighborhood is not that big of deal, im not sayin all the asians have to go but like 80 percent plus theres that hole chinatown vs sunset JV vs the other thing so on and so forth its no good

Old 08-23-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I'm confused. And here I thought it was the Asian-American city council, Realtors, and chopstick-wielding shadow figures were weaving intricate conspiracies to keep the white-folk out of Cupertino? Now you're telling me that it's just that some white-folk don't want to live there? Man. That's a boring let down. I will, however, be sure to bring up the fact that all white persons have the same ethnic and cultural backgrounds and belong to the same socio-economic level when we hold our next White's Who Want To Live in Cupertino But Were Kept Down by Chopstick-Conspiracy meeting. It'll be #1 on the agenda followed by the fact that we whites can actually live in Cupertino. Personally, I think that we should start with cuisine don't you? I mean Asians have Chinese and Korean and Sushi and other types of cuisine. I don't know what those means, especially Sushi... I've never met a Sushian. But since whites don't have any of that we should only have one type of food: Applebee's.
Aww, come on. Eating sushi or Taiwanese beef noodles isn't going to make you turn Asian (if you aren't). 'Tino has got all sorts of dining options, not just Asian (though it's pretty authentic relatively speaking). There's Persian, Italian, Texas BBQ (Armadillo Willy's), a BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse (next to the Apple campus), Outback Steakhouse, plus the usual fast food options like McDonalds, KFC, Burger King.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:59 PM

As part of my indoctrination that white people are all the same I only eat at Applebee's. Do they have Applebee's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland