Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 06:24 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,768,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy88 View Post
The whole darn city is overrated. I've never particular understood the allure of SF. Maybe because I grew up near it; maybe because there really isn't anything special about it.
Ohhhh, I wouldn't say there's nothing special about it. Spend a while in flyover country and the comparative uniqueness of SF will be made quite apparent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 03:27 AM

181 posts, read 317,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Ohhhh, I wouldn't say there's nothing special about it. Spend a while in flyover country and the comparative uniqueness of SF will be made quite apparent.
Hmmm, you're probably right. I guess I'm one of those Californians who take those very things that bring tourists and visitors for granted.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:32 PM

13,520 posts, read 21,998,550 times
For me, Coit-us Tower is highly overrated along with Ghiradelli Square.
I don't get it.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:46 PM

1,949 posts, read 6,434,051 times
I think ALCATRAZ is a little over-rated , there really is nothing to see out there

it's just a gutted old cell house, everything around the island is either torn down or falling apart or rotted away, or burned down ,you can save your money and just watch the documentary

lots of people just go there to say they have been to the Rock

Angel Island is actually a nicer place to visit, much more scenic and you can hike around, have a picnic, ride your bike

on Alcatraz you cant really do anything but walk through the cell house and back down to the dock

Old 01-06-2014, 11:47 PM

146 posts, read 322,842 times
I'm munching on popcorn while reading this thread. Pretty entertaining stuff. I'll chime in with my humble 2 cents.

This thread has lost its way in the stupidest way possible. Look, everyone knows there are rich kids who try too hard in this city. That's been the case since the real hippies left / died / got old and birthed you out. There's always a sense of pretense in the air, but these topics are for another thread altogether.

SF is actually a pretty cool place notwithstanding my obviously evident issues with it. There are a ton of cool sites.

The most overrated, though, is Fisherman's Wharf, and it's not even close. It's a tourist trap save for the Musee Mecanique. There are cheesy souvenir stores that span a few blocks out worth not even a second look. Please save your time and go elsewhere - that place has so much potential, but it's a total craphole now.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:09 PM

227 posts, read 435,056 times
I think Fisherman's Wharf it's a great place to visit.

Overrated: I can't find any. Maybe Transamerican Pyramid?

Old 01-17-2014, 12:57 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,648,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliWiz View Post
Golden Gate Park. A few museums and the Tea Garden are all it has to offer.
I'd say that's plenty.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:35 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,106,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMatthews View Post
I think Fisherman's Wharf it's a great place to visit.

Overrated: I can't find any. Maybe Transamerican Pyramid?
That's an office building, not a tourist attraction. The observation level has been closed since 9/11. There is a grove of redwood trees next to it with a fountain. It's remarkable on a sunny day how, half-way down the block, I can walk into this small park with trees so tall they completely shade the area, despite being thin. The air feels heavier around redwoods and they drown out all the sound around them. It's very nice and peaceful.

This is a lunch spot for locals. I wasn't aware it was "rated," much less "overrated".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland