Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 01:40 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Speaking of Lombard St, why does nearly every movie set in San Francisco have a Lombard-driving (or walking) scene at some point? How many locals actually go down that street, especially considering its rather awkward & inconvenient location? I know, it's just to show they're in SAN FRANCISCO, but it still makes me laugh every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:02 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Speaking of Lombard St, why does nearly every movie set in San Francisco have a Lombard-driving (or walking) scene at some point? How many locals actually go down that street, especially considering its rather awkward & inconvenient location? I know, it's just to show they're in SAN FRANCISCO, but it still makes me laugh every time.
Serious...locals never go down it, because it makes you drive slow in order to take the turns, plus it's clogged with tourists 99% of the time.

You gotta love Hollywood. I remember in the movie "Rollerball" they had some dude luging down Clipper street in Diamond Heights...and then he was suddenly going through the middle of downtown.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:39 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I like Lombard street. Mostly because I am nosy, and I like to check out the houses.

Fisherman's Wharf is good for kids. I loved it when I was little. Touristy, but good to see once. Especially the sea lions.

Generally all tourist attractions suck. I think the only one I've ever actually enjoyed as an adult were a coffee crawl in Seattle and a ghost tour in Charleston, SC.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:51 PM

330 posts, read 749,502 times
I've actually walked down Lombard several times, but its normally at 2:00 AM as I'm walking home from the bars on Polk and feel like making my night a bit more scenic. Its kind of cool because the street will be completely empty. Even having to walk up/down the hill its certainly much more pleasant than walking through that dreadful Broadway tunnel.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post

You gotta love Hollywood. I remember in the movie "Rollerball" they had some dude luging down Clipper street in Diamond Heights...and then he was suddenly going through the middle of downtown.
Yeah in movies set in SF there's often some footchase scene or car chase scene where they go from one neighborhood to another on the other side of the city without any transition, like the part in Dirty Harry where DH is trying to find the bad guy, or the car chase in Bullitt. Or they jump to somewhere that isn't even in the city. I guess movies do that for any city but you only really notice it if you live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Generally all tourist attractions suck. I think the only one I've ever actually enjoyed as an adult were a coffee crawl in Seattle and a ghost tour in Charleston, SC.
I pretty much always hate tourist stuff (they usually have lowest common denominatoritis) but I really did enjoy Alcatraz a lot.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:21 AM

323 posts, read 697,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Fishermans wharf is a nightmare. Not a decent place there to eat that is not overpriced . Totol tourist trap. I thought it was the first time I came here many years ago and my feelings have not changed one iota. I shudder to go down there even at the offer of a free meal when guests request to visit the wharf during a stay in the city.
Although SCOMAS on the wharf was expensive we had a birthday celebration meal there once and it was terrific, with wonderful service and a free slice of delicious chocolate cake!

Old 08-27-2011, 10:01 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times
The entire city is way over-rated. Tourists come here in summer, freeze their butts off... and never come back!

Old 08-27-2011, 11:33 AM

936 posts, read 2,068,067 times
Fisherman's wharf is the worst by far! I think Lombard st is worth seeing..its fun to look at it and wonder what it's like to live in one of those nice houses..and then your neighborhood is always swarming with tourists taking pictures 24/7

Old 08-27-2011, 06:12 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
The entire city is way over-rated. Tourists come here in summer, freeze their butts off... and never come back!
LOL another day in andy land, where anything is possible. If SF's tens of millions of yearly tourists NEVER came back, i don't think there would even be any tourists left to come to SF anymore...yet i see throngs of them every day. I wonder why that is? Where could they have come from? A secret San Francisco tourist cloning base, deep beneath the Nevada desert? So that's what Gavin Newsom was up to all those years...

Old 08-27-2011, 11:21 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Alcatraz. It was always "that way is " something interesting, "but it's closed and not safe". It felt like the whole damn island wasn't safe. They why take us?

And while Pier 39 is a total tourist trap, they do strive to make it very pretty with all the plantings and the carousel. Add the noisy sea lions -- it's fun to take people there.
Darnit, again I forgot to go see the sea lions!

Oh well, there will be other chances.

I found Coit Tower kind of lame, but that's probably because I took the stairs all the way up Telegraph Hill from Levis Plaza.... only to see that a bus route went up the other side. THANKS A LOT GOOGLE MAPS.

A basket of puppies would have annoyed me at that point.

(I don't know why but I love this thread.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland