Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 11:43 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is irrelevant, both systems stop too frequently to ever reach top speed. I think the only straight away BART uses is the tube under the bay, and I believe it hits 45 mph. Even using the top sped would only shave a minute off of the underwater time.
BART hits 45 between Ashby and MacArthur. It closer to 75 or 80 in the tube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 11:46 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I do agree BART is very poorly deployed for its technology type.

I'd prefer infill stations in the East Bay than extending to San Jose. Considering the development pattern of the Bay and the residence and office location patterns, it is very difficult to build effective transit. There is not standard set of start and end points. ANd the connection on the last mile sucks.

But the number one problem for Bay Area transit is the number or agencies. Each and everyone is fighting for the same pool of funds, so they need to find BS excuses to expand, to keep getting money.

We'd be in a lot better shape if we could consolidate transit agencies, and work within in a regional framework, instead of the current system of individual islands for each county and city.
Muni and AC Transit should merge.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:06 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I've peaked at the digital screen inside the "cockpit" of BART where the operator sits and inside the tube its hit 83 and between lake merrit and Fruitvale and Del Norte and Richmond as well as EC Plaza and North Berkeley as high as 70.
FTA has a limit of 65 for Rapid Transit, still doesn't mean a thing considering commuter rail is better for longer distances and faster speeds.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM

109 posts, read 299,987 times
I take the Capitol Corridor Amtrak from Oakland to Santa Clara everyday. It is a pleasure for sure... 40 mins from the Coliseum to Great America... it would take me an hour in no traffic to drive that.

The trains are relatively full, there are bike racks (I use a folding bike because most are full by the time the train gets to Oakland), or plenty of spots to stash bikes, comfortable seats, free wifi, a bar car, and a decent schedule. Very rarely is it delayed, as well.

they have monthly pass options which cost me the same as gas. Plus, i get rewards points which I can use for free travel. The trains are actually getting busier so I think the valley is hiring more or more people are catching on.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I commute from Sunnyvale to San Francisco each day. I take the Caltrain because:

c) I live close to the Caltrain station and the office is within walking distance of the station too
d) the trains are reasonably clean and the people who commute are professional, quiet, clean-cut, respectful people (ie I don't have to listen to arguments, loud music, vulgar conversations, watch fights break out, or get panhandled or asked for money or harrassed)
Good grief, where does all THIS happen?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:14 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
I used to but I stopped because last month, after hitting a car (not their fault) and getting delayed, once they got their system running again, they started canceling some of their southbound trains. The one I was supposed to take (after everything got back up) ran early and they cancelled the next one--this was at a time where trains only run once an hour. None of this was mentioned on the marquee. So I had to wait two hours for a train. (Meanwhile, I saw at least four Northbound trains go by. Rolls eyes.) By the time I got back to Diridon, my connector bus had stopped running.

I certainly don't fault Caltrain for people committing suicide on their tracks, or cars getting stuck on them, but I do fault them for getting back up and running and then cancelling trains at a time when they normally only even run once an hour.

Maybe driving for a few months will annoy me into taking Caltrain again. We'll see.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:25 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth4truth View Post
good grief, where does all this happen?
Muni

Old 12-13-2012, 05:29 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlandbus View Post
I take the Capitol Corridor Amtrak from Oakland to Santa Clara everyday. It is a pleasure for sure... 40 mins from the Coliseum to Great America... it would take me an hour in no traffic to drive that.

The trains are relatively full, there are bike racks (I use a folding bike because most are full by the time the train gets to Oakland), or plenty of spots to stash bikes, comfortable seats, free wifi, a bar car, and a decent schedule. Very rarely is it delayed, as well.

they have monthly pass options which cost me the same as gas. Plus, i get rewards points which I can use for free travel. The trains are actually getting busier so I think the valley is hiring more or more people are catching on.
Yes, it is a pleasure, and Shhhhh....don't say this too loud, or more people will, in fact, catch on. The lack of sardine-squish is the great luxury of these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland