Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:44 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
The information on sun damage has been around since the 1970's. I think there was tons of coverage in the eighties and nineties.

Some people don't read and some don't care. And as you say, a lot of young people don't think long-term.
A high school classmate of mine dies of skin cancer. She wasn't even the worst offender of "laying out" in her circle, and she died before she turned 30. Tanning isn't just unattractive, it is dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 10:59 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
A high school classmate of mine dies of skin cancer. She wasn't even the worst offender of "laying out" in her circle, and she died before she turned 30. Tanning isn't just unattractive, it is dangerous.
^this

Old 08-29-2011, 01:33 PM

135 posts, read 296,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Thank you.... I actually just had a conversation with a friend of mine in Colorado last night who thinks it is good to have a "healthy tan," I told him that statement was an oxymoron.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
The information on sun damage has been around since the 1970's. I think there was tons of coverage in the eighties and nineties.

Some people don't read and some don't care. And as you say, a lot of young people don't think long-term.

I just turned 53 and have avoided the sun because the information was available. As a result, no one believes my age when I tell them. They think I'm kidding. But I remember having lots of friends who didn't think long-term when we were young. It's an old story.
I don't know about the 70's (was a baby), but in the 80's when I was reading fashion/beauty magazines and a young girl, being tan was very much promoted. There were ads for "tanning accelerators"...remember those? And all the models were tan. I agree that the clinical research was out and doctors would likely tell you this information about sun damage. I'm sure in some health magazines you could read about it, but I wasn't reading health magazines when I was an adolescent (as I do now). Believe me, in the 80's, the fashion/beauty industry was still promoting the "tan" look, even though it was unhealthy and as you pointed out, was frowned upon in the medical industry. Now beginning in the 90's this was starting to turn around; a "tan" was still being promoted but by fake tanning cream that would turn you orange. (Gentoo, you would have appreciated that orange-inducing cream. haha!) Still, the tan look was considered ideal, only now you could attain this "ideal" through a fake tanner, instead of the sun, which was damaging. In the 90's sunscreen replaced the stupid tanning accelerators, or pointless SPF 4 or 8. By the late 90's, I think the memo was pretty clear that sun was damaging and SPF 30 was encouraged. Now you can buy SPF 80. But in the 80's the highest was SPF 15, which is not enough protection for a day at the beach.

During the last 10-12 years, the beauty industry too has finally caught up with and embraced not only the message that tanning is unhealthy and dangerous, but also that the LOOK of being tan is unhealthy and is no longer being promoted as ideal or even attractive. The models have fair skin, a natural olive complexion, or natural dark complexion. Almost every summer issue contains an article on the dangerous effect of tanning - including tanning beds. They even have a clinical word for people who will not stop tanning - "tanorexic." Fortunately due to this, I do not see many young (12-18 yr old) girls tanning anymore, like when I was young. The women who still tan tend to be those who are used to doing it and do not want to stop. (Hence, the term tanorexia.)

I think it is fantastic that you avoided the sun all your life and are now reaping your rewards!! This is what I have been doing since 97.' (started losing interest around 94', diligent by 97') Since then I have avoided the sun whenever possible and hats are my friend. (I personally prefer the fair skin with red lips look of the 1940's over the tan and fake blond w/dark roots look I still see around me in the area.) I hate to blame sunbathing on "peer pressure" but as a young teen, in Southern California in the 80's through early/mid 90's that is truly just "what people did." All your friends were at the beach or pool parties and it was just a part of the culture. I still wore some (insufficient) sunscreen and had a towel on my face (and had a higher SPF15/30 on my face). I just mainly wanted "color" (a "healthy glow," they called it ) on my arms and legs. Sadly, the "attractive" state of being was considered "tan," fostered by the media/magazines and just an overall Southern California attitude. I'm so glad that this has changed over the years, but as we all can read on this thread, still to this day some people see a woman's "tan" as an indicator of her "hotness." Hence my post on this. I'm glad it sparked further thoughts from others who feel the same way as I do. I think the poster's comment about her classmate who passed away from skin cancer before she even turned 30 says it all.

Last edited by gingerdancer; 08-29-2011 at 03:39 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 03:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Raised at the beach, worked on a ranch, then in the military and then law enforcement. Way too much time in the sun. Now I have recurring, pre-cancerous spots I have to get burned off every couple of years. SPF 90 sunscreen and a good wardrobe of hats with brims are my friend now.

Tans aren't it anymore!

Old 08-29-2011, 03:46 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,043 times
This thread is hilarious. "We're just too intellectual here to be good looking! Maybe you should go some shallow place where everyone has false tans and implants!" Oh please. There are false dichotomies all over the place. In some parts of the universe, there exist people who are intellectual and *gasp* good looking. There are also some people in the universe that don't find fake tans attractive either, but still don't go clamoring over every homely but pale woman. Lot of pretty women with their natural skin tones and body parts all over the country. This whole "that's because we're so smart, and CLEARLY you're looking for Pam Anderson" shtick is beyond ridiculous.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
This thread is hilarious. "We're just too intellectual here to be good looking! Maybe you should go some shallow place where everyone has false tans and implants!" Oh please. There are false dichotomies all over the place. In some parts of the universe, there exist people who are intellectual and *gasp* good looking. There are also some people in the universe that don't find fake tans attractive either, but still don't go clamoring over every homely but pale woman. Lot of pretty women with their natural skin tones and body parts all over the country. This whole "that's because we're so smart, and CLEARLY you're looking for Pam Anderson" shtick is beyond ridiculous.
I think many posters in this thread, including myself, were saying basically that - that beauty and brains are not mutually exclusive and can be found in many places, including SF.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:06 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerdancer View Post
I think many posters in this thread, including myself, were saying basically that - that beauty and brains are not mutually exclusive and can be found in many places, including SF.
Genetically, I would agree with you. I just think too many people in SF and the Bay Area (men and women) don't spend time to make themselves look presentable when going out.

You can say that they're too busy for that and they just don't care, but I tend to prefer women who at least care enough to make themselves look good when going out.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Genetically, I would agree with you. I just think too many people in SF and the Bay Area (men and women) don't spend time to make themselves look presentable when going out.

You can say that they're too busy for that and they just don't care, but I tend to prefer women who at least care enough to make themselves look good when going out.
I agree with you, I in no post suggested going out on the town looking like you rolled out of bed. Some men look like that here and it is not appealing. I definitely take care of myself and look presentable. However, there is a line that is crossed by going under the knife and other fake procedures, many consider going overboard. When some posters mentioned the glorious, tan, scantily dressed So Cal, others merely pointed out the downsides to them - not pretty women in general, but specifically those plastic types. I think there is a middle ground. I don't think you need to have plastic surgury, sun damage, and dress for a Penthouse audition to be considered "hot." Nor do I think you have to be homely to be "intelligent." Obviously.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:05 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
LoL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland