U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 08-31-2011, 01:52 AM
 
902 posts, read 1,533,502 times
Reputation: 332
Default Do you consider Solano County the North or East bay?

Just wondering what others consider it to be. Technically it is the Northbay, but more often than not I tend to hear people call it the Eastbay. It irks me just a little bit as it is not, but anyways I was just curious to what other people on here think...
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2011, 03:01 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
7,267 posts, read 4,463,760 times
Reputation: 5277
Technically according to whom is Solano part of the North Bay? I consider parts of it to be in the East Bay. Specifically, I draw the line at Benicia and Vallejo. That's East, with a capitol E just as Palo Alto is part of the South (capital S) Bay even though it is literally located west of San Francisco Bay and not south of it.

Last edited by Malloric; 08-31-2011 at 03:21 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2011, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Bay Area
3,089 posts, read 4,325,302 times
Reputation: 2777
It's both. It depends on which city one is referring to. It it both North and East of the Bays (Suisun and San Pablo).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2011, 11:36 AM
 
1,030 posts, read 1,467,581 times
Reputation: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
It's both. It depends on which city one is referring to. It it both North and East of the Bays (Suisun and San Pablo).
I would say part of Solano County is in the Bay Area, but not all.

Yes for Vallejo, Benicia and Fairfield.

No for Vacaville or Dixon.

You have to remember that Solano County goes all of the way to the border of Davis, which is in the Central Valley.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2011, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
161 posts, read 246,830 times
Reputation: 117
I grew up in Solano County, and I tended to consider it more of the "North Bay" simply because I lived about 10 minutes away from Napa and my family spent more time in the North Bay (Napa, Petaluma) than in the East Bay. However, the ethnic make-up and some of the challenges made if feel more like the East Bay I live in now.

But yeah, past Fairfield, it basically feels like Yolo County, regardless of what the boundaries say.

So, it's both. And neither.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2011, 01:15 PM
 
Location: In them thar hills
7,824 posts, read 9,278,201 times
Reputation: 3959
It's a grey area. Demographically, however, I consider it part of the East Bay.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2011, 01:49 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
331 posts, read 345,373 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelacious View Post
I grew up in Solano County, and I tended to consider it more of the "North Bay" simply because I lived about 10 minutes away from Napa and my family spent more time in the North Bay (Napa, Petaluma) than in the East Bay. However, the ethnic make-up and some of the challenges made if feel more like the East Bay I live in now.

But yeah, past Fairfield, it basically feels like Yolo County, regardless of what the boundaries say.

So, it's both. And neither.
People consider Napa part of "North Bay"? Interesting. Would not have guessed that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2011, 02:58 PM
 
1,030 posts, read 1,467,581 times
Reputation: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil1212 View Post
People consider Napa part of "North Bay"? Interesting. Would not have guessed that.
Marin, Sonoma, Napa and Solano are all considered North Bay Area counties. However, for the latter three, they extend far north and east to areas that are not considered part of the Bay Area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 12:58 AM
 
Location: THE USA
3,254 posts, read 3,393,084 times
Reputation: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Just wondering what others consider it to be. Technically it is the Northbay, but more often than not I tend to hear people call it the Eastbay. It irks me just a little bit as it is not, but anyways I was just curious to what other people on here think...
I don't consider it East Bay or North Bay.. it's more NE bay.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 01:01 AM
 
Location: THE USA
3,254 posts, read 3,393,084 times
Reputation: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Technically according to whom is Solano part of the North Bay? I consider parts of it to be in the East Bay. Specifically, I draw the line at Benicia and Vallejo. That's East, with a capitol E just as Palo Alto is part of the South (capital S) Bay even though it is literally located west of San Francisco Bay and not south of it.
Well you have to take a north/south bridge to get there which makes it North. East Bay by definition would be taking a east/west bridge from SF. Simple logistics people.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top