Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 05:55 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,189 times

Advertisements

SF is a city where only well-above-average earners can ever hope to own a house.
Otherwise, it's just a city like any other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 08:34 PM

21 posts, read 42,623 times
Cool, thanks everyone! I'm definitely not after a house, going to the opera, or eating out at expensive restaurants. I assumed I'd be sharing an apartment and counted on 700 to 800 a month. I'm good ad budgeting, am not very materialistic in terms of clothing, etc. and although I tend to spend money at clubs/bars and on parties, I'm down with festivals, street fairs, free entertainment. It sounds like I'll be able to make it work.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:35 PM

Oh, luckily I have never owned a car - so that's a big bonus. No insurance and gas for me!!

Old 08-31-2011, 10:27 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Yes it is, the poor like to party there too.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:25 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Head down the Mission and 6th and you can see non rich (plus a few rich dealers, pimps, thieves, etc) partying.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:39 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
All kinds of [mental] partying going on in the Loin, all the time. Join the fun!

Old 09-01-2011, 02:26 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbee23 View Post
Cool, thanks everyone! I'm definitely not after a house, going to the opera, or eating out at expensive restaurants. I assumed I'd be sharing an apartment and counted on 700 to 800 a month. I'm good ad budgeting, am not very materialistic in terms of clothing, etc. and although I tend to spend money at clubs/bars and on parties, I'm down with festivals, street fairs, free entertainment. It sounds like I'll be able to make it work.
It's not nearly as big a deal as you might work it up to be in your mind (moving to SF I mean.) You find a place to live, buy a plane ticket (hopefully, but not necessarily in that order...) and go do it. The flip side of this is that it's not really any sort of accomplishment either to just move somewhere without a plan or a goal. You don't want to end up broke and desperate just to say you came/you saw. Take if from someone who's been there. Not worth it.

So what's your plan besides going to festivals and street fairs in your free time?

Old 09-01-2011, 02:29 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
As long as you have a job in SF then everything else falls together, that is really the most important thing to have. Finding an apartment can be a pain in the ass but be persistent and you'll get one. If you don't make much money you can either live with roommates in SF or live in the nice parts of Oakland which are 20-40% cheaper than SF.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:03 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
Quote:
...So you live in San Francisco? You should update your profile
Well my mailing address says I still live in Oakland, but since spend 60+ hours a week in the city working and going to graduate school, it sure does feel like I live there... But you're right, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about since I live all the way across that awful bridge to no man's land. Thanks for reminding me to update my profile though

Old 09-02-2011, 11:38 AM

Well, I simply can't end up desperate and broke. Maybe that's why I'm building it up so much in my mind, I need to be sure that I don't end up having to come back here (where I grew up), ever to live! Plus I ended up desperate and broke in another country, after having traveled there with no goal (It was an amazing experience and I'm happy I went there and "went with the flow", but coming home with a bank account of zero was hard)

I travel a lot but want a sort of base in California, a place where I can put down a few roots and always come back to. That's my plan for San Fran...branch out, try and meet a lot of people. See if it is my base (I want it to be in California, as I'm from here, but I don't like the city I'm from). Partying/festivals (if I can) because I have had a lot of very serious/difficult times for the past few years. I write, so I hope to really spend a lot of time working on putting together stories, starting a blog, etc. I am also very into various therapies (may go to grad school for psychology) and will definitely go even deeper into them in SF (yoga, reiki, etc.) I also plan on furthering my English teaching skills while working as an ESL tutor, but I will have to develop a client base over time.

So I have quite a few goals besides the street fairs and festivals, and I'm getting excited for them! Yay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland