U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:34 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,233,326 times

Advertisements

shutupshutupshutupshutupshutp.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 07:49 PM

23 posts, read 55,952 times
Truth is, I just really can't stand the yuppies in my neighborhood bar telling me how to address my city, then telling me that "I must be from some fly over state" because I didn't say something the way they wanted me to say it.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:19 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,088,690 times
I was born at St. Luke's on Army St (not Cesar Chavez), raised in The Sunset, graduated from S.I. and SFSU. People who say Frisco are tools and people who say San Fran are fools.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:30 PM

310 posts, read 574,518 times
I honestly don't get why anyone would get all bent out of shape over some nickname that some other mope decides to call their city...unless it's expressly derogatory, in which case feel free to defend your hometown. I mean as long as you know what city they're talking about, right?

Frisco. San Fran. City by the Bay. Who cares. Aren't there more important things to be concerned with in life?

If someone uses a moniker for San Francisco that annoys you, maybe just annoy them right back with a nickname of your own for them. If some guy named Richard can't help himself from saying Frisco and it's softening your sourdough, then just start calling him Dicky. as in..."How was Frisco last night, Dicky?"

Chances are at some point he will ask you to quit calling him Dicky...which, of course, is your cue to state your terms of the agreement regarding San Francisco.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:49 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,368,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My dad occasionally called it Frisco and he has live in The Bay for over 70 years. I think it's an old tymie thing.
very interesting. so if there's a long history of some born-and-raised locals referring to the city as "frisco", then why is there so much antipathy towards its usage? is it simply because of herb caen's columns, or is there something more to it than that?

below, i've copied and pasted excerpts from a column in which a blogger ponders this very topic:

Don’t Call It Frisco

Quote:
The taboo [against using the term "Frisco"] started, or at least took hold, in 1953 with the publication of San Francisco Chronicle columnist Herb Caen’s first book, entitled...Don’t Call it Frisco. Caen is much beloved but the truth is he was a bit of an elitist; he had a dogmatic and imperious streak.

And a generation of independent and free-spirited San Franciscans meekly complied with the columnist’s mandate. Perhaps they were motivated by the suspicion that their city might not in fact be in the same league with New York City after all, so they sought to sweep their underclass underpinnings under the rug, to turn their back on their rough-and-tumble past.

But there’s a long tradition of calling the city Frisco.

Letting go of silly, tight-assed prescriptions like Caen’s is a sign that the city is coming into its own, confident enough in itself not to have to monitor how people refer to it.

"Those who disapprove of Frisco are trying to own the city,” says screenwriter Theo McKinney. “People should be able to call the city what they wish.”

Old 09-07-2011, 06:37 PM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,261,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
I was born at St. Luke's on Army St (not Cesar Chavez), raised in The Sunset, graduated from S.I. and SFSU. People who say Frisco are tools and people who say San Fran are fools.
I was also born at St. Luke's, raised in the Mission and Noe Valley, went to city college, etc, and i have no problem with people saying Frisco, and i sometimes say it myself (I usually say SF, San Francisco or "the city"). Some people can't help but make "frisco" sound stupid though, such as a friend visiting from Boston who kept saying it and making my ears bleed. I agree that "San Fran" sucks but i'm starting to accept it just so i don't get filled with irrational rage every day.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:16 PM

So as an outsider trying to gain a better appreciation for what makes Bay Area natives "ears bleed", as an above poster mentioned...I respectfully and earnestly ask:

What is so wrong with someone saying "San Fran?"

I mean, it does cut off 2 entire syllables, saving both the speaker and the listerner precious time...which is a good thing, right, considering that high Bay Area COL and the hectic schedules which often result from it. Yet, even though it is only 2 (smooth, rhyming) syllabes, it is still enough information to know what city one is referring to. The "Fran" part lets us know we're not speaking of "Diego"s, "Barbara"s, or "Mateo"s...or any other common California Sans. Once the "Fran" is established, the "Cisco" is really superfluous information...so it seems quite efficient to me. As such, I'm genuinely curious and not just trying to stir the pot when I ask: what exactly is the problem?

P.S. Herb Caen passed on in 1997, so I don't think he'll mind, if that's it.

Once I get out there, get settled in a bit and have a few ounces of free time, I might just take it on as personal mission to make "San Fran" cool again, in the name of efficiency. Well, I guess it depends on any responses I get to this post of course...I'll need to size up the competiton.

Last edited by OakAve2OakLand; 09-07-2011 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-07-2011, 07:40 PM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,261,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAve2OakLand View Post
So as an outsider trying to gain a better appreciation for what makes Bay Area natives "ears bleed", as an above poster mentioned...I respectfully and earnestly ask:

What is so wrong with someone saying "San Fran?"

I mean, it does cut off 2 entire syllables, saving both the speaker and the listerner precious time...which is a good thing, right, considering that high Bay Area COL and the hectic schedules which often result from it. Yet, even though it is only 2 (smooth, rhyming) syllabes, it is still enough information to know what city one is referring to. The "Fran" part lets us know we're not speaking of "Diego"s, "Barbara"s, or "Mateo"s...or any other common California Sans. Once the "Fran" is established, the "Cisco" is really superfluous information...so it seems quite efficient to me. As such, I'm genuinely curious and not just trying to stir the pot when I ask: what exactly is the problem?

P.S. Herb Caen passed on in 1997, so I don't think he'll mind, if that's it.

Once I get out there, get settled in a bit and have a few ounces of free time, I might just take it on as personal mission to make "San Fran" cool again, in the name of efficiency. Well, I guess it depends on any responses I get to this post of course...I'll need to size up the competiton.
Honestly i don't actually care, and neither do most people. It's a minor annoyance that is easily ignored. I think it's that "Francisco" sounds nice and normal, but "Fran" sounds goofy, or cutesy or something. Add that to the fact that non-SF residents say "San Fran" about 100 times more often than actual SF residents, and then it can become annoying.

Imagine you grew up calling Los Angeles "Los Angeles", as did nearly everyone else you knew...yet half of the tourists/transplants/people from elsewhere that you run into insist on referring to it as "Los Ang". Would that not get annoying at times?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Honestly i don't actually care, and neither do most people. It's a minor annoyance that is easily ignored. I think it's that "Francisco" sounds nice and normal, but "Fran" sounds goofy, or cutesy or something. Add that to the fact that non-SF residents say "San Fran" about 100 times more often than actual SF residents, and then it can become annoying.

Imagine you grew up calling Los Angeles "Los Angeles", as did nearly everyone else you knew...yet half of the tourists/transplants/people from elsewhere that you run into insist on referring to it as "Los Ang". Would that not get annoying at times?
Good points, thank you. Again, my goal here is to learn, not to argue or even debate.

Your response now reminds me of when I was in the fraternity in college, and a few of the "brothers"...invariably the ones with the bigger stick up their rear...would say something like "don't call your fraternity a 'frat' - you wouldn't call your country a 'c**t', would you?" To your point, I can see how the cutesy (or just lazy) truncation could get annoying.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:21 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,233,326 times
It's a debate that doesn't exist outside of City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland