Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:54 AM

2 posts, read 5,463 times

Advertisements

Hey there, I am a 25 year old single guy and I am going to be moving to San Francisco for work (got a new job) in a couple of months. I am moving from the East Coast. This job is perfect in almost everyway except one; I don’t have any friends or family that lives in SF or the entire Bay Area for that matter. The new company in which I will be working has only 17 employees and all of them are in their mid 40’s- mid 50’s and they all have families. I am the young person there. I want to move into an apartment building that has lots of young people (mid 20s crowd) so that I have a chance to make friends with people in my own building and then we can do stuff. Can anyone recommend which parts of San Francisco I should be looking at, and if possible can anyone tell me any specific apartment buildings that have tons of the 23-28 yrs old single crowd. The following is what I am looking for in an apartment/apartment complex:

Has tons and tons of young single people (23-28 yrs old)
  • Has full service features (pool, Jacuzzi, gym, concierge service……….. etc
  • The place has a real sense of community where you are good friends with you neighbors------------ very active young social scene
  • I am open to meeting all kinds of people, but I feel more comfortable in a preppy crowd. I would love to meet some guys that I can play golf with over the weekends.
  • I can afford monthly rent of $8,000 -------- can go has high as 10k/per month if needed
  • Oh yeah one last thing, being young & single I am really looking forward to going on dates with SF girls.---------- If the building/complex has some pretty girls that would be really nice…………. If not for dating then at least a chance to make some new friends
Can you local SF /Bay Area residents please recommend a place in San Francisco that has some if not all the things I am looking for. If possible can you name some specific apartment buildings/complex? I just want a chance to have some good close friends in SF. This will be my new home. FYI………. I will be working in the financial district.

Many thanks

Jason

Last edited by Mhampton; 09-12-2011 at 07:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 09:52 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Try the Avalon. I think 1 bedrooms are $3000. Mostly young people live there. Recent grads in their 20s and early 30s. Lots of amenities. Good transit access. Financial district is a 10 minute bus or street car ride. Or you can walk about 1.5 miles. It is right next to the ballpark.

http://www.avaloncommunities.com/avaloncore/nfloor.asp?comm=361&source=placescom (broken link)

Old 09-12-2011, 10:01 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Who the **** pays a 25 year old that kind of money? Even in SF you won't find that many young people with that kind of budget. If you're serious, there's a lot of new condo buildings around Mission Bay and the ballpark. If you can seriously pay $10,000 a month I'd look into buying a condo.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:58 PM

330 posts, read 749,502 times
Yeah, if you can really afford $10k per month for a place you might wanna look into just buying a nice condo. Frankly, most 23-28 year olds here don't make that kind of money, so I doubt you'll find an apartment building that has all the amenities you are looking for AND is also filled with young people. The vast majority of people in that age range that I've met live in 3-4 bedroom apartments/houses with roommates.

But regardless, in my opinion you really don't need to live in a big apartment complex or high-rise to make friends. If you are a friendly, outgoing, social person I wouldn't stress too much about making friends here. A lot of the younger crowd here are transplants who remember what it was like moving here by themselves, so they are welcoming to newcomers. The neighborhoods here are dense enough that it's just as easy to make friends in your neighborhood by hanging out at the nearest park or at one of the local watering holes. Just a few ideas: Sign up as free-agent for a co-ed softball or kickball league, or check out various Meetup groups for whatever your interests are. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a golf league you could join. I've also made plenty of friends by attending events with the local alumni groups from the colleges I attended. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2011, 04:11 PM

43 posts, read 107,333 times
Sounds like you either need to be either in the Marina or SOMA. Those areas are full of yuppie, single professionals. SOMA is great if you work in the financial district. You can walk to work and there's lots of food and bars to meet people.

Here's one possible place:

Archstone South Market Apartments in San Francisco | Archstone Apartments

One big problem for you is what you can afford ($8K+) is so high that if you rent any place even approaching that rent, there's not likely to be many girls your age also in the building. People who can afford that kind of rent are usually older, more settled, and/or have families.

You should either cut your budget in half if you want 20 year old girls in your same building or rent a nice place for yourself in an area full of good looking girls (like the Marina).

Hope you're saving some for retirement with that kind of money and best of luck in the City.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:26 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,422 times
Are you serious with the $10k/month rent thing? If you're making that much coin, wtf are you doing on city-data? Hire a relocation agent to get you set up, don't be slumming around here.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:09 PM

457 posts, read 756,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Are you serious with the $10k/month rent thing? If you're making that much coin, wtf are you doing on city-data? Hire a relocation agent to get you set up, don't be slumming around here.
LOL..it's quite hard to believe, but who knows he may be rocking a PE/hedge fund or something like that..

If you can truly afford that rent, buy a condo in Millenium tower or One Rincon Hill in downtown/SOMA. They may not have that many single girls, but can be a great place to host a few of them..

Old 09-12-2011, 06:15 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
host
????

Old 09-13-2011, 04:12 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,108,480 times
There aren't going to be the large complexes like you see in college towns. But you should look in the Marina or Cow Hollow . Even nicer spots in PAC Heights, but will likely be older and quieter. You'll want to be near Union St or Chestnut st. Lots of young preppy people there. Also, I'd head to sundayrecess.com and be ready to sign up for the next league. I know a thing or two about that

Old 09-13-2011, 09:07 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Not sure if Bayside Village is still any good. Used to be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland