Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:10 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times

Advertisements

Been to all three campuses, multiple times, and I still disagree with your characterization. Cal feels very much like a public university, and Stanford feels very much like an expensive, elite, private institution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 01:29 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
UC Berkeley is a waste of time, money, and intellect. The campus, the city, should be destroyed and blown out to sea. Take SF with it; both are liberal holes of worthlessness, which have destroyed this country.

Wah wah wah, yet another aging baby boomer who won't step aside for the next generation. Big deal if you got a job back when you didn't need a college degree, doesn't mean that people like you have to drag this country back into the stone age because you suddenly decide you hate intelligence and learning for no particular reason other than nihilism. Plus you sound pretty upset about never having gone to college.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Been to all three campuses, multiple times, and I still disagree with your characterization. Cal feels very much like a public university, and Stanford feels very much like an expensive, elite, private institution.
You are arguing students I am arguing setting. Stanford is way too non urban and laid back to be like an Ivy. Cal has that feeling, like Harvard, Columbia or Georgetown.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:16 AM

Georgetown isn't an Ivy League school...

If you mean that architecturally, Cal is more like an Ivy league school than Stanford, I suppose I will give you that though.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:18 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Never applied and I never would. I have no college education, yet I still make 150K a year. Could care less about college and think it is a waste of time and money.

Yet, in 1969 I was there when Jane Fonda encited riots and caused massive problems.

UC Berkeley is a waste of time, money, and intellect. The campus, the city, should be destroyed and blown out to sea. Take SF with it; both are liberal holes of worthlessness, which have destroyed this country.
College isn't about making more dollars and cents or a vocational thing. It's about developing yourself emotionally, socially and intellectually.

As a proud Cal alumnus, I stand by my alma mater and I'm sorry that you feel the need to be so misanthropic.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:24 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I disagree. I think he'd be considered somewhat unique and treated well and on the merits of his personality. Besides, how are people going to know it until they got to know him? It's not the 60s anymore when the vibe was to look at all times like you were challenging all symbols of authority. People are sophisticated enough to separate those who serve in the military from those (civilian leaders) who make it do stupid things. Cal is so big you can find a group of just about any type to hang out with.
Exactly. There are plenty of non-traditional students on campus, such as older returning students.

Cal has a pretty well-established ROTC program on campus, so it's not exactly anti-military. Stanford, believe it or not, does not have an on-campus ROTC program.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:08 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
6. Phil couldn't get in.
Reason #1 to choose Cal: Couldn't get into Stanford.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:01 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
You are arguing students I am arguing setting. Stanford is way too non urban and laid back to be like an Ivy. Cal has that feeling, like Harvard, Columbia or Georgetown.
What, surrounded by a ghetto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Reason #1 to choose Cal: Couldn't get into Stanford.
Haha, my brother wound up at Yale when Stanford didn't accept him.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:13 AM

65 posts, read 290,075 times
Sorry OP, TAG doesn't apply to Berkley or UCLA.
These two schools are considered top in teh nation. No guarantees, but if you do get in...... Berkley.

TAG schools: DAvis, Irvine, Merced, Riverside, Sandiego, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz.

University of California - Transfer Admission Guarantee

Last edited by bsbear; 10-21-2011 at 04:36 AM..

Old 10-21-2011, 09:17 AM

That was already covered on page 1...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland