Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:40 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguru View Post
BART if you transfer at the main transfer point in Oakland should be busy enough for you to feel comfortable. The community around the Transbay Bus Terminal is in the financial district so outside of banking business hours the area can be desolate. I think in that area there are even Walgreens and McDonalds shops that close by 6pm. San Francisco Transbay Terminal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia That link has some information about Muni routes serving the transbay terminal, which might allow to you get where you are going. If you want to use the Market St subway, BART would make a whole lot more sense I think.
This information is very outdated. The new temporarily terminal is a few blocks away from the former location. Muni connections are minimal to the new site, it is 2 blocks east and south of the former location.

The main drivers of foot traffic in the current location are a handful of bars in the immediate vicinity and restaurants. But it isn't busy. It isn't near the Walgreens that was across from the old terminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 AM

70 posts, read 157,277 times
I guess my concern is more about which RIDE is safer at that time of night - the Transbay or BART? I know BART goes through some bad areas at that time of night.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal-c View Post
I guess my concern is more about which RIDE is safer at that time of night - the Transbay or BART? I know BART goes through some bad areas at that time of night.
I have never had a major issue on BART any time of day (I generally take it in the evenings or at night since I do not commute via BART). Ocassionally someone will ask for money, or playing their ipod/cell phone/boombox loud.

Or slightly sketchy guys asking for you number. But honestly. Problem free. It is the station parking lot or outside of the station, not the train, where most problems are.

I have only taken the F a couple of times.

If you see too many sketchy people in the BART car, go to the next one.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:38 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
I've been on BART a few times when I had to transfer trains downtown in Oakland after about 10pm. It's sketchier than in SF where there's a lot of partiers at night (who can be annoying in their own right). Maybe half were college students and people going to work, some women but mostly men. The other half were sketchy young guys keeping to themselves and homeless people. Not a lot of people overall. To be safest, always ride in the first car of a train with the driver.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
They're both fine...you won't have any problems. BART is safe day or night, especially between SF & Berkeley, and AC Transit will be fine as well. The F runs through a bit of a hood area in North Oakland/South Berkeley before reaching downtown, but you shouldn't have any problems, especially on the front half of the bus. MUNI buses have many more "on board" incidents than AC Transit, even though the latter tends to go through "worse" neighborhoods.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
They're both fine...you won't have any problems. BART is safe day or night, especially between SF & Berkeley, and AC Transit will be fine as well. The F runs through a bit of a hood area in North Oakland/South Berkeley before reaching downtown, but you shouldn't have any problems, especially on the front half of the bus. MUNI buses have many more "on board" incidents than AC Transit, even though the latter tends to go through "worse" neighborhoods.
Totally true. AC Transit incidents seem to be pretty rare. Other than bad kids littering in the bus or throwing stuff out the window. Muni seems to have issues of fights, stabbings and similar on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland