Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:14 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
The welfare part wasn't really addressed at you specifically.

If you knew about AA though then why did you say this:

when it does include whites.
oh ok, I got confused. I was mostly referring to white males when I said(including whites) if that is what you mean. White women are large beneficiaries of AA(as are most women) but since AA is generally viewed as by race I wrote
"I am really glad this thread started because I have seen the AA supporters side, I would rather have AA aid/opportunities be for hard working, less financially stable families of all races(including whites) instead of race, but there is just no denying that for generalities whites usually have the upper hand in opportunities." instead.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:19 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
oh ok, I got confused. I was mostly referring to white males when I said(including whites) if that is what you mean. White women are large beneficiaries of AA(as are most women) but since AA is generally viewed as by race I wrote
"I am really glad this thread started because I have seen the AA supporters side, I would rather have AA aid/opportunities be for hard working, less financially stable families of all races(including whites) instead of race, but there is just no denying that for generalities whites usually have the upper hand in opportunities." instead.

That's separate from what AA addresses though... AA was created with only blacks in mind because of the wrongs the government inflicted on blacks. What you're suggesting is what we were talking about earlier... I agree with you, there should be a government program that directly supports all disadvantaged youth that attempts to counterbalance the socio-economic gap that often translates into a worse education. Affirmative Action however serves an entirely different purpose and as such it does not make sense for it to be a catch-all program.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:25 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Your 'view' has no basis and you have yet to provide one. Others have provided their 'view' .. supporting facts/data/and logical thought process.. you have yet to destroy these points or providing any points of your own.. So, beyond being ignorant which is your view coming into this.. I declare you willfully ignorant as you fail to see the problem that is clearly pointed out w/ your view.
Funny. I could say the same about your views as well. So what's the problem here? Is it because it's a two way street instead of one?

Quote:
At the end of the day, I wish we could turn back the hand of time and not have slavery and unfair treatment of African Americans.. That would save time having debates w/ ignorant people who fail to adequately quantify and appreciate the impact such events have socially on a people ...
You say that as if I'm *glad* that African Americans were unfairly treated. What are you trying to aim for here? Paint me as a racist?

Quote:
But we can't.. And so after 100s of years of damage that was done to a people.. After not having any clear admission and closure to what was done via a swath of programs (the least of which reparations) and specific programs just for African Americans that have set in stone time lines .. We have to have this same tired old a** debate every year w/ ignorant people who don't understand the 3-4 generation need for programs to right past wrongs that have long term impacts.
And who is "we"? Maybe the problem is you, considering the way you like to clash with others and pass around labels onto people who have different points of view.

Can't fix stupid.. Stupid is 444444444eeeevvva[/quote]

Nice. I see you are back to using immature antics as you've always done.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:40 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
Third world countries, I doubt that. I think that welfare adds to the lazyness of some of the recipients but not all of them are lazy. Whites should be the largest welfare groups, they are like 75% of the population.
The U.S., in purple with a Gini coefficient of 0.450, ranks near the extreme end of the inequality scale. Looking for the other countries marked in purple gives you a quick sense of countries with comparable income inequality, and it's an unflattering list: Cameroon, Madagascar, Rwanda, Uganda, Ecuador. A number are currently embroiled in or just emerging from deeply destabilizing conflicts, some of them linked to income inequality: Mexico, Côte d'Ivoire, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Serbia.

Perhaps most damning is China, significantly more equal than the U.S. with a Gini coefficient of 0.415, where the severe income gap has been a source of worsening political instability for almost 20 years. Leagues ahead of the U.S. on income inequality is India, Gini coefficient 0.368, where outrage over corruption and income inequality recently inspired a protest movement that shook the world's largest democracy. (The data for India is from 2004, however; income inequality has likely worsened since then.) Russia, which has seen three popular revolutions in the last century against the caviar-shoveling oligarchs who still run everything, is also less unequal than the U.S., at 0.422 Gini.

Map: U.S. Ranks Near Bottom on Income Inequality - Max Fisher - International - The Atlantic

Old 09-30-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
The U.S., in purple with a Gini coefficient of 0.450, ranks near the extreme end of the inequality scale. Looking for the other countries marked in purple gives you a quick sense of countries with comparable income inequality, and it's an unflattering list: Cameroon, Madagascar, Rwanda, Uganda, Ecuador. A number are currently embroiled in or just emerging from deeply destabilizing conflicts, some of them linked to income inequality: Mexico, Côte d'Ivoire, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Serbia.

Perhaps most damning is China, significantly more equal than the U.S. with a Gini coefficient of 0.415, where the severe income gap has been a source of worsening political instability for almost 20 years. Leagues ahead of the U.S. on income inequality is India, Gini coefficient 0.368, where outrage over corruption and income inequality recently inspired a protest movement that shook the world's largest democracy. (The data for India is from 2004, however; income inequality has likely worsened since then.) Russia, which has seen three popular revolutions in the last century against the caviar-shoveling oligarchs who still run everything, is also less unequal than the U.S., at 0.422 Gini.

Map: U.S. Ranks Near Bottom on Income Inequality - Max Fisher - International - The Atlantic
wow never knew that

Old 10-01-2011, 12:16 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,147 times
Quote:
Well, there's an old saying - correlation does not equal causation.

Actually, whites as a group are the largest welfare recipiants, rather than the "welfare queen" stereotype of black families.

Well, at the height of the Great Society programs, the poverty rate was the lowest ever. It's gone up since then thanks to cutbacks. Social inequality in the USA is at the highest levels and matches that of many third world countries. And contrary to the old myth, social and economic mobility in the USA is less than that of so-called "static" European countries.
Which is why I said what I said - because it's a correlation, not necessarily causation.

Sure, whites are the largest welfare recipients, we're like 70% of the population, per capita is really the only useful metric in this regard.

The great society may have achieved some short term success, but some would argue it has resulted in more than a few families become generational welfare recipients. The economy, I think, ultimately has more to do with poverty levels that social welfare.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:28 AM

186 posts, read 475,165 times
Reading this thread is truly sad, I almost thought I clicked on the wrong forum...

Old 10-01-2011, 12:33 AM

do any of you know anyone that went to this bakesale? if so you should get pictures if they or you took any.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:39 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,147 times
Quote:

Inequality is not so important as a high standard of living, in my view - not that GINI doesn't in some way tend to predict that.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:19 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
Unfortunately I feel that this thread has veered into a territory of no return with rants and off-topic postings, so I'm going to close it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland