Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:15 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
When's the last time something that crappy came out of a UC?
I can think of at least a dozen examples off the top of my head.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:17 PM

306 posts, read 603,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Some minority group should hold a competing bake sale to raise awareness and funds for the plight of oppressed white people.
Oppressed whites are oppressed by whites.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:45 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Default UC Berkeley and CA should be ashamed

The cancer that is the Conservative ideology is on full display here among these idiotic Republican students at Berkeley. What an embarrassment they represent with this sorry attempt at levity. The ranking is revealing: whites at the top, blacks second to the bottom, with the native Americans at the bottom. Asians accepted as second, with hispanics third. These ignorant students feel quite smug in this, but I think it reflects the fact that California is as backwards as Mississippi when it comes to affirmative action. Liberal and progressive practice is but a surface concept in this farcical state. California is a "liberal" state without substance.

Affirmative action is right, whatever form it takes. It is ever-evolving. Its original purpose was to allow those groups who were historically discriminated against, the opportunity to participate as equals. It doesn't mean a lowering of standards, but a recognition that the road taken by members of these groups is far more difficult because of continued discrimination, than that of whites. The people of this state who oppose affirmative action are indifferent to the devastation that racism has wrought on successive generations of descendants of slaves. They pretend as if racism no longers exists to the detriment of black people for instance, abandoning all common sense. Racism in this state is commonplace, so a mechanism must exist to recognize those minorities who are deserving despite not having the stellar numbers. The mechanism as originally designed, was also intended to identify and eliminate those people who are practicing racism or to impose means to minimize their unfair biases.

Blacks are the group most negatively impacted by racism by whites. Blacks are disciminated against by asians, hispanics, and indians. Blacks are in a class of their own in fighting racism and striving for equal opportunity in a state whose hierarchy justifies maintaining whites and asians (and increasingly indians) at the top. Asians, indians, even hispanics are held in higher regard and face far less adversity. Quite revealing to see a school so touted as one of the great institutions of learning, contain such collosal ignorance and cluelessness among its student body. Yale graduated that village idiot. I suppose Berkeley is allowed to harbor these imbeciles.

I'd like to see affirmative action reinstated in this state, and aggressively enforced, so that California can be a state that is liberal and progressive BELOW the surface. After all, black people are a brilliant, talented, extraordinary people who don't take a back seat to any race. Their greater hardships must be recognized and they must be allowed to take their proper place at the top, rather than being discriminated against using bigoted phrases like "meritocracy" and "reverse discrimination." Silicon valley has much improvement to make in this regard.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
It's rather funny. I only see one problem - baked goods should be cheaper for whites than for asians.
It is a big misconception that Asians aren't discriminated against. Sure lots of people are getting into college, but they are still MIA in in the C-Suite, government and even in popular culture. And not all groups of Asians have the same level of achievement and opportunity.

On the converse, Asians are quick to embrace the "model minority" moniker and this helps sweep the racisms against Asians under the rung, because the part line is "we are doing great!"

Old 09-26-2011, 01:22 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
The cancer that is the Conservative ideology is on full display here among these idiotic Republican students at Berkeley...
Stop it, you're making too much sense here.

Yes, the fratboy subculture at Berkeley has always been a bit perplexing, but Pac 10 sports need participants and funding from somewhere. So do the College Rebuplicans.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:40 PM

954 posts, read 1,280,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
And not that I'm for affirmative action, but to say it levels the playing field is imcomplete; you still have to do well in school or at your job, it's not a free pass. If you're a Black cop who can't shoot straight it's going to come up, regardless of your color.
That is another problem - is it possible that because less qualified minorities get selected, they're more likely to fail and do poorly, which only reinforces negative stereotypes?

Old 09-26-2011, 12:54 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
<LOL

Nothing is purely "merit" based, but more so a mix of socio-politics. It absolutely floors me to hear white people believing that many of them are where they are today purely because they earned it as being "the best." Man, this affrimative action issue REALLY has them lying to themselves.

Most jobs and opportunites are acquired through networking--it has nothing to do with "merit" or the "best" of anything.

Affirmative Action is simply a recruiting tool to give opportunity to the "best" minorities available. As a minority you still have to meet the standard criteria for the job and/or school entry requirements.

Truth be told, most Minorities would prefer to have "white privelge" as opposed to Affirmative Action. Just imagine knowing that you can be atleast "average" or minimally skilled and KNOW that your race, religion, ethnic background etc is not going work against you. Most white people are so used to it, that they don't even think twice about it.

Last edited by itshim; 09-26-2011 at 01:06 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 03:31 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Probably the same group of kids still doing the same type of antics. When I was at Cal these kids were all the same. White from so cal, usually OC-SD, with the crux of the issue being that deep down they are mad that they are being edged out by Asians.

I don't see what latinos, nativie americans, and blacks have to do with this, there were so few when I went there, and there is even fewer now. Nevermind the fact that prop 209 is still law.

Anywho most kids at cal are tOo busy making the grade and trying to get laid to care about this stuff.

I consider the legacy system at private schools to be far more damaging. John McCain got into Annapolis because his daddy and grand daddy were Admirals. Bush only got into the Ivy's because of his forefathers. When's the last time something that crappy came out of a UC?
There have been times when I've agreed with you but never to this degree. Good post man

As far as the reasoning; IMO I feel that these republican students are just trying to be noticed as is so often the case with them in the Bay Area. I remember when Rep students at I believe USF were whining about not being noticed. These Cal kids are a bit smarter than to do that.

I say they're just trying to be noticed because, like others have mentioned already, AA has been outlawed in California for nearly two decades now. The fact that they were smart enough to get into a good UC school makes me inclined to believe that they knew exactly what they were trying to do. They knew this would get them media attention. Come on; pricing based on age race etc.??? That's more ridiculous than offensive.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:15 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
There have been times when I've agreed with you but never to this degree. Good post man

As far as the reasoning; IMO I feel that these republican students are just trying to be noticed as is so often the case with them in the Bay Area. I remember when Rep students at I believe USF were whining about not being noticed. These Cal kids are a bit smarter than to do that.

I say they're just trying to be noticed because, like others have mentioned already, AA has been outlawed in California for nearly two decades now. The fact that they were smart enough to get into a good UC school makes me inclined to believe that they knew exactly what they were trying to do. They knew this would get them media attention. Come on; pricing based on age race etc.??? That's more ridiculous than offensive.
I thought affirmative action was brought back recently in CA, I could be wrong though because I have getting all of my CA news from C-D since i moved . I am sure it is tough being a republican in the bay area so I agree with you that they are trying to gain attention, and it worked

Old 09-26-2011, 04:22 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
It's rather funny. I only see one problem - baked goods should be cheaper for whites than for asians.
Bet you wont hear this little piece of truth at the bake sale. They'd rather work on their fake indignation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland