Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:45 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,000,678 times

Advertisements

I love San Francisco. I visited your city for the first time this week. I happened to be there during Fleet Week. What a show! My mouth dropped once I entered San Fran from the Oakland. Didn't know a city could be so beautiful. I was ready to pack up and move that day until I saw the prices of the homes that I wanted to live in lol. Being that I'm from Atlanta paying X15 for a house on one of those mountain with the view of the bay is out of my pay range but if I won the lottery I would be there in ASAP.

Pros...

The city the most beautiful city that I have ever been to

I love the topography. I love seeing mountains and rolling hills. Im only used to seeing a million trees in Georgia

The diversity.

Being near the water on the bay. I went to the Ferry Building and my mouth dropped when I saw the bay in the back of the building.

The weather wasnt bad even though I heard it isn't normally that warm in San Francisco during this time for the year.

Cons....

The nightlife could have been better. I went to a flew places and they weren't all that. Last call was too early

Not really a negative for San Francisco but for the entire state of Cali. My main reason I could not live in California is the divorce laws. If you divorce someone after 10 years I could possiblity have to pay them alimony for life.

Everything was EXPENSIVE. If you want the real experience of living in San Francisco you need to make real money. In Atlanta you can make 40k as a single person and live ok. I would probably need to make at least 90k starting out to live comfortable there.

I love the diversity but since I'm African American I didn't see that many middle class or upper middle class Afrian Americans. I only saw mostly low income blacks.

All in all. IMO.

Northern Cali>>>Southern Cali.

I thought LA was nice until I went to your city. I probably could not live there because of the cost of living that I'm used to but San Francisco will probably be the #1 city that I visit when I want to get away on a vacation. I will recommend all of my friends visit.

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 10-09-2011 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 11:50 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,766,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I love the diversity but since I'm African American I didn't see that many middle class or upper middle class Afrian Americans. I only saw mostly low income blacks.
The middle class + African-American crowd isn't very visible in SF. Much more visible in Oakland and South Bay (for example on the weekend in most bars in downtown Oakland or in the Grand Lake area).

Old 10-09-2011, 12:55 PM

858 posts, read 2,231,806 times
Tony,

Thanks for your review. Did you go sailing in the bay? I bet your mouth won't be closed after sailing. The best $50 bucks you will ever spend. I think the next time you visit include sailing in your itinerary.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:23 PM

4,307 posts, read 6,247,704 times
I'm surprised you didn't mention food as one of the "Pros" to SF

Old 10-09-2011, 05:39 PM

547 posts, read 923,607 times
My wife and I were there the week before.It had been 7 years since our last visit. i was surprised as to how busy it was everywhere, much more than previous visits. It wasn't just the city. Yosemite was packed, as was the other cities we visited.So much for a terrible economy.
Thankfully we booked months ago as all the rooms were taken by Oracle and to some extent the iPhone intro.
We stayed in Larkspur and took the ferry a few days while driving others.
There was so much to do. Octoberfest, Castro street fair,Bluegrass festival.
I was disappointed as usual in Pier 39. I don't know how I allow my wife to drag me there. But it was so crowded / tourist trappy, even she wanted to leave.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:00 PM

@ Jade408... thanks!

@Ubringliten....Yes from the Ferry Building to Sausalito..priceless

@ Roadwarrior101...wasnt able to make it to a San Francisco restaurant. I will next time

@Picshooter...My tour guide said that this was one of the busiest weekends because of fleet week. He said the city normally isn't that busy. He said the city had a more than a couple hundred thousand more people because of the air show

Old 10-09-2011, 10:04 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,511,748 times
On my first visit to SF I went to Lands End and saw the view of headlands and golden gate bridge. As nice as the view is ferry building its not even close to the coastal scenery.. The scenery from Sutro Heights to Golden Gate bridge has to be the most stunning scenery (when not foggy) imaginable in any American city..

Old 10-10-2011, 07:15 AM

767 posts, read 1,739,122 times
Wow a positive review of sf... thank u...

Old 10-10-2011, 02:12 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,689,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
. My main reason I could not live in California is the divorce laws. If you divorce someone after 10 years I could possiblity have to pay them alimony for life.

Wait, what now? That's an incredibly odd thing to say

Old 10-10-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Wait, what now? That's an incredibly odd thing to say
Why you say that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland