U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:37 PM

457 posts, read 571,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Another Occupied City: Oakland - The Bay Citizen

I think its awesome that we keep the misconduct of banks in the spotlight, but I worry that this too, will fizzle into nothing and things will simply go back to business as usual.

The OCCUPY folks would be better off holding their congressional representatives responsible, bombarding them with complaints and emails. They should be protesting in front of congressional offices. There is enough frustration for this to gain a lot of traction but simply screaming at bank buildings isnt enough to harness the anger felt across the country.

The Democrats need a 'Tea Party'.
Who allowed the banks to "misconduct"? Who gave the banks a bailout? Both the Bush and Obama camps are to blame for the bail out. A whole lot of people have dirty hands on this one.

I believe these protesters are mostly misguided people who have nothing else going for them. I haven't watched a lot of the news but every time I see something about it, the person interviewed does not really know why they are there. All they know is they are tired of being a part of the 99% and are upset with the 1%. It seems like a lot of college age kids that apparently do not have a job or classes to attend.

I agree with expressing their complaints and frustrations with their local representative but we know that most likely will not happen. You get more publicity and exposure when you inconvenience the working people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 12:39 PM

24,839 posts, read 31,261,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
Who allowed the banks to "misconduct"? Who gave the banks a bailout? Both the Bush and Obama camps are to blame for the bail out. A whole lot of people have dirty hands on this one.
That's why I said that theyd be better off protesting their congressional representatives.

The lack of morals and decency due to greed is everywhere, corporations and the government leaders they pay to support them.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:50 PM

13,506 posts, read 24,647,711 times
It's a shame for what ever reason that some are deemed to big to fail...

In a free market capitalistic system... the banks that over extended would be history...

Old 10-12-2011, 03:50 PM

7,847 posts, read 9,378,555 times
This is not about highlighting bank misconduct, it's about overthrowing the capitalis systems and putting in place a dictatorship of the prolitariat - the oldest foulest misguided utopian dream to emerge during modern times. Certainly we have the 1st Amendment and everyone is entitled to their opinion but as Dirty Harry said, "opinions are like ... "

Old 10-12-2011, 05:37 PM

7,341 posts, read 6,166,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post

I agree with expressing their complaints and frustrations with their local representative but we know that most likely will not happen.

When the people have had it with their "representatives" being hopelessly bought and paid for no matter who they elect, they take to the streets and say so. And many of those people are out there doing just that because THEY CAN'T GET A JOB because the esteemed corporations are making a killing sending all the jobs overseas, at the expense of people who have the will and talent and increasingly desperate need to get back to work now. As for college students - not hard to imagine 5-6 figure loans to pay back and no work to be had to pay them just might be a strong incentive to make your voice heard. Protesting is part of the college experience, anyway.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:46 PM

13,506 posts, read 24,647,711 times
I believe more emphasis needs to be put on small business and entrepreneurial endeavors... there will never be enough jobs to go around if everyone is waiting to be hired.

I'm still getting unsolicited job offers and I'm not looking...

A few weeks ago I had torn down my Caterpillar Bulldozer and was at my local Dealer ordering parts... the guy next to me had the same issue and asked me if I was looking for worked... he had to let his last guy go because of a DUI and not being able to insure the guy to drive company equipment... the same happens a lot when my flooring contractor friend has a job opening... most of the guys don't have clean driving records...

Over the summer, I was pouring a new retaining wall at home... at least daily, someone would stop and ask for my card or want me to bid a job...

Just seems strange in this day of high unemployment that potential employers need to approach a total stranger offering work...

I get asked to quote yard work when I have my trailer and garden equipment doing work at my rental in the Fruitvale District.

Probably my first choice for a fall back position would be starting a sewer pipe cleaning service... I have my own machine and the word is out there... especially in the older parts of the city with the old clay sewer lines...

I'm a medical engineer by profession... working on tractors and construction projects is just something I do for enjoyment.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
working on tractors and construction projects is just something I do for enjoyment.
I'll stick with the beer, sports, concerts, and hot tubs for enjoyment, but good on ya for maintaining a positive attitude and abilities among various skills-based jobs. You may be sought out since you're not one of the many practically begging for employment.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:01 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
7,063 posts, read 3,726,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
No, they need sane people who are rightfully voicing their disgust over the state of economic inequality in this country, and the disdainful 1% and their bought-and-paid-for sham disguised as a "democracy." Tea Party just wants to kill government and let the ubercapitalists run the show. There will surely be some wacky people in the campsites around the country among the 99%, but at least they aren't parading around racist signs and pretending to be grandpa's militia visibly packing heat and howling threats to overthrow the government, like so many on the other side last summer.

Oh, and thanks Herb Cain for enlightening us. Didn't know that racism doesn't exist, and that if you're not rich or have a job, it's all your fault. And Ron Paul for extolling his view that sick people without health insurance should just be left to die. Got some real winners looking to run the country...wait, no, they want government dissolved. (Texas Gov. Rick Perry wanted his state to secede from the union - cuz they're all out to get us!) That's kind of odd, no?
Am not a big fan of the Tea Party or Ron Paul, but I think it would be a mistake to fall into the trap of characterizing the OWS movement as simply a "liberal vs conservative" thang (and as the wingnuts are trying to portray it). Even if the Tea Party folks have perhaps been manipulated for mainstream GOP purposes, or if there may be a few Ron Paul supporters with some values we libs don't care for, underneath it all, there still seems to be some sort of shared sense that we're all (conservative & liberal) being screwed by the current system. So we should focus on what we all agree on, rather than argue about the stuff we don't, which BTW continues to play right into the age-old game of "divide and conquer".

Old 10-16-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
it would be a mistake to fall into the trap of characterizing the OWS movement as simply a "liberal vs conservative" thang (and as the wingnuts are trying to portray it).
Unfortunately, the new reality is that what used to be seen as obviously "wingnut" has slid towards becoming the majority (at least among those who vote), as the 2010 elections and popularity of Fox News and right-wing radio have proven. This new movement seeks to counter that.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:03 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
7,063 posts, read 3,726,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Unfortunately, the new reality is that what used to be seen as obviously "wingnut" has slid towards becoming the majority (at least among those who vote), as the 2010 elections and popularity of Fox News and right-wing radio have proven. This new movement seeks to counter that.
By "wingnut", I mean the hardcore ideologues (think Beck vs O'Reilly), although admittedly the distinction may seem like a slim one sometimes!

But until it backfired and they quit displaying the results, even a recent Fox News poll accidentally showed as high as 69% support for Occupy Wall Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland