Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 01:08 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Just as most of us suspected.

Per KTVU: Of the 32 protesters that were arrested at the encampment this morning, only 9 are actual residents of Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 03:25 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Very few are violent ... and those have been shown to be not OWS protestors.
And how do you know the protestors are "lazy scumbags"?
Because you saw some pictures on FOX News? Or even NBC? ... which mainstream media make their money by depicting sensationalist confrontations and disasters?
Have you watched any non-sensationalist analysis, such as the Charlie Rose interviews that explore the issues, the cross-cultural participants (many many of whom are employed and include all manner of professionals) and emerging leaderships? Rhetorical question, of course. You haven't. Because you are a knee-jerking conservative as demonstrated repeatedly by all your posts in the past.
I love how liberals, who use a huge broad brush with regards to the TP folks, are frantic in their insistence that we make a distinction between OWS protesters and......well, people who are protesting WITH the OWS protesters? How has it been "shown" that the aren't OWS protesters? Is there a blood test? Card they carry? Have the "real" OWS folks banished them from the camps?

I HAVE seen first hand the protesters. NONE were professionals, unless you consider dope smoking a profession. And none were obvious leaders. I call them lazy because every single one of them, on a sunny afternoon, were sleeping. Not ONE was upright. I'd call that lazy. And from their scent, I'd call them scumbags, too. Because not bathing to the point of being smelled from a distance is pretty scummy.

You, too, show your true colors repeatedly, dear. But my views are decidedly NOT with anti-semitic, violent, filthy, diseased lazy scumbags. But you know, that's just my opinion.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Finally, an OO participant spewing common sense:

Quote:
One demonstrator at the library, retired construction worker Vincent Suave, urged the crowd not to try to re-establish the tent city. Instead, it should devote energy to other forms of protest that focus more tightly on the Occupy movement's central complaints about economic inequity and corporate greed, he said.

"There are reasons for people to be frustrated with the system, but the message is not coming out well," said Suave, 52, who lives in Oakland.
Read more: 1,000 marchers converge on Occupy Oakland campsite

Old 11-14-2011, 09:36 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Finally, an OO participant spewing common sense:

Read more: 1,000 marchers converge on Occupy Oakland campsite

He's gonna change the world

Old 11-14-2011, 10:34 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,349 times
Now these filthy degenerates have penetrated deeper into Lake Merritt.

I walked past these bozos as they were setting up tents in front of the Veterans Memorial on Grand as they were being forced out of the park. Now they have to come and **** up one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in Oakland, all in the name of their silly little movement.

I wish these bums would go back to Berkeley and SF where they belong.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:27 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I love how liberals, who use a huge broad brush with regards to the TP folks, are frantic in their insistence that we make a distinction between OWS protesters and......well, people who are protesting WITH the OWS protesters? How has it been "shown" that the aren't OWS protesters? Is there a blood test? Card they carry? Have the "real" OWS folks banished them from the camps?

I HAVE seen first hand the protesters. NONE were professionals, unless you consider dope smoking a profession. And none were obvious leaders. I call them lazy because every single one of them, on a sunny afternoon, were sleeping. Not ONE was upright. I'd call that lazy. And from their scent, I'd call them scumbags, too. Because not bathing to the point of being smelled from a distance is pretty scummy.

You, too, show your true colors repeatedly, dear. But my views are decidedly NOT with anti-semitic, violent, filthy, diseased lazy scumbags. But you know, that's just my opinion.
Killed your credibility right there. the rest of your post is now meaningless.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:56 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

Actually, I'm an independent and I paint both groups with a broad brush. Though the Tea Partiers were more law abiding and responsible with their demonstrations. They were just as irritating and ignorant as the Occupiers, but I would never have feared for my safety around the 'baggers.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:14 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Killed your credibility right there. the rest of your post is now meaningless.
That's right. You bury your head in the sand whenever anything is said against liberals. Way to look at both sides. Way to be informed. Way to be partisan.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:46 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Disclaimer: I personally don't care for the "encampments" strategy of the current protests -- expressly because it attracts non-productive elements such as freeloaders and criminal exploitation that are obviously distractive reflect poorly on the message.

That said, the encampments strategy occurred in pretty much an extemporaneous, ad-hoc, urge. And, as costly and disruptive as it is, it IS making a point -- albeit an unpleasant one -- and through its negative presence making a point about the condition and desperation of our society at this time. One thing to consider, however angry many observers are becoming, is that the protestors -- young, old, dirty, clean, educated, ignorant, poor, and some rich too, hippies, businesspersons, retired, students -- are ALL Americans, and our country is founded on "... all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness". As such, while many of us do not like the manner of the protest we see at the encampments, to argue that free speech does not include breaking laws of interfering with municipal code is disingenuous. If our forefathers had not stood up against British law and occupation when conditions became intolerable, we would not be the free nation we are. These folks protesting are rebelling as American citizens, each to his/her own way, however classy or classless some may be.

This forum is constantly full of anti-illegal immigrant commentary wherein many proclaim that every American, regardless whether they are a scumbag, has rights by virtue of birth that no illegal has, regardless of any fine qualities they may have. Well, folks, the "scumbags" at these protests are Americans by birthright. As such they have every much right to their voice, as any of you do. And you have every right to challenge their methodologies -- but as you do so, consider that the definition of who is an American is not yours to make, other than the issue of birthright.

To this end, I quote, below, the opening of the Declaration of Independence as a reminder of our great history. Read if you are of concerned and patriotic mind. Substitute the actions of the present-day oligarchy for the accusations against the British King as you read. At the end of the quoted passage is a link to the full Declaration, which includes the facts of the revolt and responses to injustices as framed by our Founding Fathers.

Don't like the way the present-day protestors look and smell? Think of the issues that brought this situation to where it is. Those issues will not go away with elimination of the encampments. You hate the protests? What will you offer as an alternative to the destruction of your country by forces far more insidious than the protestors?

Quote:
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation. We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.
The Declaration of Independence

Last edited by nullgeo; 11-15-2011 at 10:09 AM..

Old 11-15-2011, 10:31 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Disclaimer: I personally don't care for the "encampments" strategy of the current protests -- expressly because it attracts non-productive elements such as freeloaders and criminal exploitation that are obviously distractive reflect poorly on the message.

That said, the encampments strategy occurred in pretty much an extemporaneous, ad-hoc, urge. And, as costly and disruptive as it is, it IS making a point -- albeit an unpleasant one -- and through its negative presence making a point about the condition and desperation of our society at this time. One thing to consider, however angry many observers are becoming, is that the protestors -- young, old, dirty, clean, educated, ignorant, poor, and some rich too, hippies, businesspersons, retired, students -- are ALL Americans, and our country is founded on "... all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness". As such, while many of us do not like the manner of the protest we see at the encampments, to argue that free speech does not include breaking laws of interfering with municipal code is disingenuous. If our forefathers had not stood up against British law and occupation when conditions became intolerable, we would not be the free nation we are. These folks protesting are rebelling as American citizens, each to his/her own way, however classy or classless some may be.

This forum is constantly full of anti-illegal immigrant commentary wherein many proclaim that every American, regardless whether they are a scumbag, has rights by virtue of birth that no illegal has, regardless of any fine qualities they may have. Well, folks, the "scumbags" at these protests are Americans by birthright. As such they have every much right to their voice, as any of you do. And you have every right to challenge their methodologies -- but as you do so, consider that the definition of who is an American is not yours to make, other than the issue of birthright.

To this end, I quote, below, the opening of the Declaration of Independence as a reminder of our great history. Read if you are of concerned and patriotic mind. Substitute the actions of the present-day oligarchy for the accusations against the British King as you read. At the end of the quoted passage is a link to the full Declaration, which includes the facts of the revolt and responses to injustices as framed by our Founding Fathers.

Don't like the way the present-day protestors look and smell? Think of the issues that brought this situation to where it is. Those issues will not go away with elimination of the encampments. You hate the protests? What will you offer as an alternative to the destruction of your country by forces far more insidious than the protestors?

The Declaration of Independence
You can protest for the rest of your lives so long as you don't set up permanent tent villages in city parks or take other actions that break laws or incite violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland