U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:36 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,026,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
If you base your judgements off of New York times polls, I have beach front property in Arizona to sell you.

Even if 43 percent of Americans support the idea, they are not out in the streets. Most of us are too busy working for a damn living and raising our children to bother with such antic. Tho I do amditt i get a good LoL out of long hairs getting maced.
From the posts I've read of yours, I believe you did buy "beach" in Arizona you'd like to resell ...

Here's some more "biased" media surveys for you to scoff at:
1. The Pew Research Center/Washington Post survey out Monday finds that 39% support the Occupy Wall Street movement, compared with 32% for the Tea Party.

2. A Time magazine survey earlier this month found 54% had a favorable opinion of OWS, compared with just 27% for the Tea Party.

3. An AP survey showed 37% backed the OWS, while just 28% supported the Tea Party.

4. And a CBS News poll found that 46% said the views of the Occupiers reflect the sentiment of most Americans, compared with just 27% who said that of the Tea Party.

Enjoy ... and have a nice day working for your feudal masters tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 09:50 PM

24,847 posts, read 31,279,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I'm sure the local crack dealers, pimps, and stick up crews are enjoying the fact that all these police resources are going to oust a bunch of lazy hippies and disgruntled unemployed people.
At least they are disgruntled but venting their frustrations by protesting and not doing cowardly and immoral things like reverting to hoeing and drug dealing.Those are the easy ways out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408
Actually, I heard that. I think it was on Bay Citizen
WOW....I never heard that on any more mainstream media like TV or radio. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:56 PM

6,909 posts, read 6,436,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
At least they are disgruntled but venting their frustrations by protesting and not doing cowardly and immoral things like reverting to hoeing and drug dealing.Those are the easy ways out.

I think you have it backwards... he meant there's a chance that there will be a temporary crime spike in the worse-off parts of Oakland as some people might take advantage of the police being tied-up with OWS.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
At least they are disgruntled but venting their frustrations by protesting and not doing cowardly and immoral things like reverting to hoeing and drug dealing.Those are the easy ways out. ...
... and not doing cowardly and immoral things like creating confusing mortgage products to sell to financially unsophisticated workers looking for a piece of the American dream ... and then creating complex mortgage bundling securities to fraudulently sell to investors ... or creating toxic pharmaceutical products to sell as panaceas for problems that could simply be solved by eating intelligently ... or marketing food as if it was sex to be consumed for the sheer pleasure of it ... or creating wars out of thin air to support the profitabilities of select giant corporations ... or (-- I'll let you continue the list) .... and then taking the scobs of money earned and building dynasties of wealth and pointlessly wasteful opulence.

I'm just sayin' ...

Old 10-27-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
... and not doing cowardly and immoral things like creating confusing mortgage products to sell to financially unsophisticated workers looking for a piece of the American dream ... and then creating complex mortgage bundling securities to fraudulently sell to investors ... or creating toxic pharmaceutical products to sell as panaceas for problems that could simply be solved by eating intelligently ... or marketing food as if it was sex to be consumed for the sheer pleasure of it ... or creating wars out of thin air to support the profitabilities of select giant corporations ... or (-- I'll let you continue the list) .... and then taking the scobs of money earned and building dynasties of wealth and pointlessly wasteful opulence.

I'm just sayin' ...
Yes, in fact I do believe the group you singled out is way more dastardly than hookers and drug dealers because the latter group does what they do because they feel like there is no other way.

As far as the bankers and financiers, they were already RICH but wanted more and more, like crack addicts needing a new fix.

Their greed got the best of them which is fine, but the problem is the rest of America and the world suffered as a result.

And instead of throwing them in jail, our government actually bailed them out.

Who can we turn to to right this wrong?

Certainly not Obama or any of the Republicans. Americans seem to be on a different page than their leaders and that p*sses me off.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I think you have it backwards... he meant there's a chance that there will be a temporary crime spike in the worse-off parts of Oakland as some people might take advantage of the police being tied-up with OWS.
Ur probably right

Old 10-27-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Yes, in fact I do believe the group you singled out is way more dastardly than hookers and drug dealers because the latter group does what they do because they feel like there is no other way.

As far as the bankers and financiers, they were already RICH but wanted more and more, like crack addicts needing a new fix.

Their greed got the best of them which is fine, but the problem is the rest of America and the world suffered as a result.

And instead of throwing them in jail, our government actually bailed them out.

Who can we turn to to right this wrong?

Certainly not Obama or any of the Republicans. Americans seem to be on a different page than their leaders and that p*sses me off.
It's a particularly interesting subject to me -- in general -- and specifically in my observation of this forum. Why? Because the financial hooligans are responsible for more sociopathic / psychopathic damage to the state, nation, and world than any other group of lawbreakers or unfortunates -- by quantum leaps more. They use words found in the English dictionaries for their language -- yet they don't speak our cultural language, they speak "Financialeze", which rhymes with "sleeze", btw. They are also legal citizens ... largely born and bred here, or at least legally immigrated, or otherwise visa-allowed. Most of what they do is also technically "legal" -- just conveniently 'unregulated' (because that IS what they do best: find loopholes that allow them to create nefarious, but legal, new financial products). And in their avarice and greed, they literally take down not only middle-class lives, but entire world economies.

Meanwhile, average Americans Tom, Dick, and Harriet vilify poverty-stricken "illegals" whose crime is sneaking across the border to earn minimum wage -- and, besides the reality that these people don't destroy the economic foundations of the world economies, one of the favorite rants is how these "illegals" don't even speak English! Well, have you read your mortgage documents, and life insurance policies, and investment portfolio agreements lately in English? Familiar words -- individually. But did you understand what was written? Or did you have to either take it on faith or hire an interpreter - a.k.a.: lawyer?

No, I'm not supporting illegal immigration -- I'm just sayin'

Old 10-27-2011, 10:16 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,096,589 times
Sorry, I'm trying to remain informed about how Oakland's OWS protests are going and of course the Lame Stream Media is not very informative. Were they allowed back onto the streets last night? How is the young person injured the previous night doing?

Old 10-27-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Sorry, I'm trying to remain informed about how Oakland's OWS protests are going and of course the Lame Stream Media is not very informative. Were they allowed back onto the streets last night? How is the young person injured the previous night doing?
Yes, there were a ton of people there again last night protesting. Not violent like the night before, but still very tense.

The Iraq war veteran who was injured is in the hospital in fair condition.
War vet hurt in Oakland occupy protest improving (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/27/BAD61LN3LM.DTL - broken link)

Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 AM

Default interesting historical parallel

In a fairly long -- but excellent -- article on the "Bonus Army" of 1932, the author examines some parallels to the post-WWI unemployed veterans who camped out in Washington D.C. in a class-war event ... if the article is longer than you want to read, just check out the opening two paragraphs below:

"During the death throes of Herbert Hoover’s presidency in June 1932, desperate bands of men traveled to Washington and set up camp within view of the Capitol. The first contingent journeyed all the way from Portland, Oregon, but others soon converged from all over—alone, in groups, with families—until their main Hooverville on the Anacostia River’s fetid mudflats swelled to a population as high as 20,000. The men, World War I veterans who could not find jobs, became known as the Bonus Army—for the modest government bonus they were owed for their service. Under a law passed in 1924, they had been awarded roughly $1,000 each, to be collected in 1945 or at death, whichever came first. But they didn’t want to wait any longer for their pre–New Deal entitlement—especially given that Congress had bailed out big business with the creation of a Reconstruction Finance Corporation earlier in its session. Father Charles Coughlin, the populist “Radio Priest” who became a phenomenon for

railing against “greedy bankers and financiers,” framed Washington’s double standard this way: “If the government can pay $2 billion to the bankers and the railroads, why cannot it pay the $2 billion to the soldiers?”

The echoes of our own Great Recession do not end there. Both parties were alarmed by this motley assemblage and its political rallies; the Secret Service infiltrated its ranks to root out radicals. But a good Communist was hard to find. The men were mostly middle-class, patriotic Americans. They kept their improvised hovels clean and maintained small gardens. Even so, good behavior by the Bonus Army did not prevent the U.S. Army’s hotheaded chief of staff, General Douglas MacArthur, from summoning an overwhelming force to evict it from Pennsylvania Avenue late that July. After

assaulting the veterans and thousands of onlookers with tear gas, *MacArthur’s troops crossed the bridge and burned down the encampment."

Frank Rich on Occupy Wall Street and Class Warfare -- New York Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland