U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 PM

15,952 posts, read 11,884,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
In a fairly long -- but excellent -- article on the "Bonus Army" of 1932, the author examines some parallels to the post-WWI unemployed veterans who camped out in Washington D.C. in a class-war event ... if the article is longer than you want to read, just check out the opening two paragraphs below:

"During the death throes of Herbert Hoover’s presidency in June 1932, desperate bands of men traveled to Washington and set up camp within view of the Capitol. The first contingent journeyed all the way from Portland, Oregon, but others soon converged from all over—alone, in groups, with families—until their main Hooverville on the Anacostia River’s fetid mudflats swelled to a population as high as 20,000. The men, World War I veterans who could not find jobs, became known as the Bonus Army—for the modest government bonus they were owed for their service. Under a law passed in 1924, they had been awarded roughly $1,000 each, to be collected in 1945 or at death, whichever came first. But they didn’t want to wait any longer for their pre–New Deal entitlement—especially given that Congress had bailed out big business with the creation of a Reconstruction Finance Corporation earlier in its session. Father Charles Coughlin, the populist “Radio Priest” who became a phenomenon for

railing against “greedy bankers and financiers,” framed Washington’s double standard this way: “If the government can pay $2 billion to the bankers and the railroads, why cannot it pay the $2 billion to the soldiers?”

The echoes of our own Great Recession do not end there. Both parties were alarmed by this motley assemblage and its political rallies; the Secret Service infiltrated its ranks to root out radicals. But a good Communist was hard to find. The men were mostly middle-class, patriotic Americans. They kept their improvised hovels clean and maintained small gardens. Even so, good behavior by the Bonus Army did not prevent the U.S. Army’s hotheaded chief of staff, General Douglas MacArthur, from summoning an overwhelming force to evict it from Pennsylvania Avenue late that July. After

assaulting the veterans and thousands of onlookers with tear gas, *MacArthur’s troops crossed the bridge and burned down the encampment."

Frank Rich on Occupy Wall Street and Class Warfare -- New York Magazine
Two Veterans were killed and hundreds were injured. Mac Arthur couldn't show his face in a VFW for decades
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 10:56 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,160,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Another Occupied City: Oakland - The Bay Citizen

I think its awesome that we keep the misconduct of banks in the spotlight, but I worry that this too, will fizzle into nothing and things will simply go back to business as usual.

The OCCUPY folks would be better off holding their congressional representatives responsible, bombarding them with complaints and emails. They should be protesting in front of congressional offices. There is enough frustration for this to gain a lot of traction but simply screaming at bank buildings isnt enough to harness the anger felt across the country.

The Democrats need a 'Tea Party'.
These people are knuckle-dragging, uneducated, ignorant savages. If they had a clue about anything in life, they would be marching on Washington D.C. Cry me a river, O impoverished, oppressed, peoples who blog about it from their iPhones and iPads. The "Occupy" movement is textbook astroturfing coordinated by the Obama administration and financially backed by George Soros. Just another rent-a-mob, nothing to see here kids, move along.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:58 PM

2,836 posts, read 2,214,865 times

Old 10-28-2011, 12:07 AM

24,849 posts, read 31,279,993 times

Stand with Occupy Oakland - YouTube

Old 10-28-2011, 08:17 AM

While I accept the Acting Chiefs excuse that Oakland PD does not have any of the kinds of munitions that injured Scott Olsen, and it must have been one of the Sheriffs Departments that were there, why were the Sheriffs there? Sheriffs Departments are usually equipped to restore order in a jail or prison more so than demonstrators and the public. The sight of demonstrators bringing people in wheel chairs out of a cloud of Tear Gas should repulse any American.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:59 AM

7,151 posts, read 4,029,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
These people are knuckle-dragging, uneducated, ignorant savages. If they had a clue about anything in life, they would be marching on Washington D.C. Cry me a river, O impoverished, oppressed, peoples who blog about it from their iPhones and iPads. The "Occupy" movement is textbook astroturfing coordinated by the Obama administration and financially backed by George Soros. Just another rent-a-mob, nothing to see here kids, move along.
Remarkable in-depth examination of the issues here -- and deeply thoughtful analysis of the protesting public -- with a spicy dash of conspiracy theory to inflame all tastes.

Over 130 million U.S. citizens (43%) already stating support for this movement = 130 million "knuckle-dragging, uneducated, ignorant savages" brainwashed by Obama and Soros! WOW! (But, I have to wonder: if Obama and Soros are THAT good are inciting movements why is there any conjecture that Obama will struggle for re-election? I mean, he and George S. should be able to simply pull more mind control and swing that election with ease, no? ... But, then again, what do I know: I'm just another "knuckle-dragging, uneducated, ignorant savage").

Old 10-28-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry the American People do not measure up to your expectations. Perhaps there is someplace else where the people will goostep along in a more orderly fashion.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:00 PM

13,515 posts, read 24,664,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
While I accept the Acting Chiefs excuse that Oakland PD does not have any of the kinds of munitions that injured Scott Olsen, and it must have been one of the Sheriffs Departments that were there, why were the Sheriffs there? Sheriffs Departments are usually equipped to restore order in a jail or prison more so than demonstrators and the public. The sight of demonstrators bringing people in wheel chairs out of a cloud of Tear Gas should repulse any American.
The Alameda County Sheriff contracts to provide security for the Transit System... it also maintains a huge presence at the county court house a few blocks away.

Oakland is the county seat for Alameda county.

BART police were also out in force... the BART headquarters is a few blocks away and BART police closed at least two BART stations.

The California Highway Patrol also takes on the duty of State Police... in other words the agency does more than patrol highways.

The reports said there were 13 agencies involved...

I would guess about half have some presence on a day to day basis and the rest responded under mutual aid.

Many of the outlying communities are more than willing to dispatch their officers to Oakland... they see it as containment... at least this is what one Walnut Creek Officer told me...

Old 10-28-2011, 12:06 PM

1,570 posts, read 841,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Unless you live in S.F or N.Y, most Sheriff's departments provide extensive law enforcement service to unincorporated county regions and also to contract cities.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:04 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,171,893 times
Quote:
Geez, Rush, did you not get your prescription order on time this month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland